****My rant against PQ on New Encoders****

HD channels are very very thin this morning. I'm watching the Olympics on UHD and it's down right terrible (as is most the other HD channels). The picture is fuzzy most of the time and when the swimmers are shown close up, major amounts of blotching.

Voom is definately compressing the crapola out of everything. Hopefully a new satellite will solve the bandwidth limitations they are facing!

Does anyone know the plan on Voom using a different Sat?

Sorry but mpeg2 is mpeg2. there's no magic encoder that lets you squeeze in a bunch more channels w/o degradation. considering the pq was not top notch to begin with (mosquito anyone?), they didn't have a lot of room to play around. now they look like kirstie alley in her fat actress show trying to squeeze into her pants. not pretty.

sean, I feel your pain. you used to be on the "hey it looks fine to me, if you think you can get better elsewhere don't let the door hit you on the way out" side. well, come on over, the water is fine.

barth2k said:
Sorry but mpeg2 is mpeg2. there's no magic encoder that lets you squeeze in a bunch more channels w/o degradation. considering the pq was not top notch to begin with (mosquito anyone?), they didn't have a lot of room to play around. now they look like kirstie alley in her fat actress show trying to squeeze into her pants. not pretty.

sean, I feel your pain. you used to be on the "hey it looks fine to me, if you think you can get better elsewhere don't let the door hit you on the way out" side. well, come on over, the water is fine.

The key is more transponders (more bandwidth) which may not be possible until Voom starts using a different or multiple sats...

softwiz said:
The key is more transponders (more bandwidth) which may not be possible until Voom starts using a different or multiple sats...
Im glad to see you admit to that finally:D

vurbano said:
Im glad to see you admit to that finally:D

Well, the way I understand the technology, the encoders were at least supposed to help the bandwidth situation. But obviously they didn't. I thought the PQ was worse right after the encoder change and hell there weren't even any new channels.

I'm watching Rush right now and the sky and water looks like blue skeeter soup :no

mike123abc said:
The best thing for VOOM PQ will be the move to R2 where they have up 2.5-3x the bandwidth...

I don't agree, based on current actions, and there being a crap load of SD channels ( and some HD ) out there they don't have, I think Voom is going to be like every one else out there, more channels, less picture, they look at D* and E*, it seems to work for them, maybe it will work for Voom since what they have been doing has not been working.

I am not putting Voom down with this, I am putting them all down that do it, this does not make me too happy for the future, instead of a HD world, we might just have a ED world.

bruce said:
I don't agree, based on current actions, and there being a crap load of SD channels ( and some HD ) out there they don't have, I think Voom is going to be like every one else out there, more channels, less picture, they look at D* and E*, it seems to work for them, maybe it will work for Voom since what they have been doing has not been working.

I am not putting Voom down with this, I am putting them all down that do it, this does not make me too happy for the future, instead of a HD world, we might just have a ED world.

I do fear that. Thats one reason why ED plasma is a very dangerous thing. I dont care how nice it is. Please people do not support the degredation of HD. D*'s 1280x1080i is step one. What do you think step 2 is?

Actually, this many surprise some of ya, and I don't know how well every single ED plasma handles sources, but mine is very unforgiving in regards to compression artifacting and signal degradation. The higher resolution/quality signal fed to it, the better it will look on the display (even scaled to native).
And I'm in agreement not to degrade the source.

neo0285 said:
i have connected my old dish 6000 and subscribed to hd pack. Luckily enough they also activated hbo hd ans sho hd for me, must be a mistake. Anyway comapring Pq on hbo, sho, tnt and espn, all I have to say is that Dish blows Voom away. Voom is starting to look like a high quality Divx video, it looks amazing on your pc screen, but its definitely not HD.

Well, I don't know what kinda stuff you're smoking, pal but I definitely need few packs...

...a friend of mine has both package too and he always said Voom looks way better than Dish and last time I've checked, Dish HD was way under Voom.

PS: that divx crap really shows how far you smoked yourself... :p:D

T2k said:
Well, I don't know what kinda stuff you're smoking, pal but I definitely need few packs...

...a friend of mine has both package too and he always said Voom looks way better than Dish and last time I've checked, Dish HD was way under Voom.

All right dude, thanx for insulting me. Im sorry my personal opinion has insulted you so much. Next time i feel like posting what i see, ill ask your permission first and make sure my opinion agrees with yours, otherwise i have to be crazy.

T2k said:

I have both Voom and Dish, and I must admit, Dish HD looks pretty good. But, Voom has more HD content and looks great as long as there is no movement. Hopefully this will improve.

T2k, if your friend thinks Voom HD looks better than Dish HD, I want some of what he's smoking and lots of it. ;-) & quick!!!

Tonight, saturday, I am watching a recording I made of Surprise By Design and on my 13" Commodore monitor, I can see the facial features morphing and when they put a paint blotch on a wooden floor (egads!) I could see the paint moving around, this is a symptom of video being highly compressed, just like most Dish SD channels. This is disgusting for HD channel to have these artifacts.

Voom, if you read these posts, please fix this, I am ready to throw up!

DarrellP said:
Voom, if you read these posts, please fix this, I am ready to throw up!

Perhaps Fear Factor can use the new VOOM Harmonic encoders for their gross out segment. (Sorry.. It was just so tempting.) ;)

DarrellP said:
Tonight, saturday, I am watching a recording I made of Surprise By Design and on my 13" Commodore monitor, I can see the facial features morphing and when they put a paint blotch on a wooden floor (egads!)

Ah, the 1702 no doubt. :) Scary, but I think I have 3 or 4 of them in the basement.

I still can't stand to watch UHD. Sea of Love was on again last night, and its definitely MUCH worse than DVD quality. :no

-John

Has anyone tried adding an iScan box to their systems to compensate for PQ losses we are experiencing? Which of their boxes can help?

Thanks.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)