Best Quality Recording/Watching – MPEG-2 or MPEG-4 Stations?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

jyafink

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jul 7, 2008
[FONT=&quot]Google searches are providing conflicting information about which format is best. I have recorded the same program from both (i.e. HD-Net 79 & 306) and personally cannot tell the difference (although I only did it once). I guess that is the only answer I really need, but for people who are really in the know, which format really gives the best picture quality - for instance if you were to analyze it by hooking it up to equipment that can measure things above and beyond what the human eye (and ear) is able to discern? If I'm not making sense, just give me your thoughts on what station you record or watch if given a choice, Mpeg-2 or Mpeg-4. I've only had D* less than a month so maybe I will notice a difference with more experience. I have a Panasonic TH-50PZ800U so the difference I am not seeing, assuming one exists, is definitely not due to an inferior television. Thanks. [/FONT]

MPEG4, the new stations, are FAR better. The encoders are better, they get much better picture from the bandwith.

You really needed to be around on Sundays when D needed to suspend certain stations & down-res everything else just to show Sunday ticket. It was so bad that it probably wouldn't be a good day to make your comparison. Although I watched mostly football on Sunday, the picture quality on Mpeg4 channels blows my mind compared to the old days.

Thank you – I was reading about how Mpeg-2 is a larger file, higher bitrate, etc… than Mpeg-4, so I was sort of comparing them like I would a .wav versus .mp3 file and assumed the larger and higher bitrate of the two would mean better quality. I could have also misunderstood what I was reading.

Yep, bigger does not always mean better; I'm sure some wish some wifes and GF's could figure this out! LOL

You really needed to be around on Sundays when D needed to suspend certain stations & down-res everything else just to show Sunday ticket. It was so bad that it probably wouldn't be a good day to make your comparison. Although I watched mostly football on Sunday, the picture quality on Mpeg4 channels blows my mind compared to the old days.

Everyone knows about the removal of some stations on Sundays in previous years to accommodate Sunday Ticket, but where does your information about down rezzing other channels come from?

Hey guys...what are some MPEG-4 Channel Numbers that are not on the NFL ST??? Thanks!

Everyone knows about the removal of some stations on Sundays in previous years to accommodate Sunday Ticket, but where does your information about down rezzing other channels come from?

Sorry mate, just 'grapevine' information based solely on how lousy everything looked come Noon on Sundays.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts