Best source for new DTV receivers

Status
Please reply by conversation.

dlodi

Original poster
Jun 13, 2009
Milton, GA
I need three new receivers for Direct TV, nothing fancy just some basic reliable boxes for guest room, basement, and gym. Should I just call DTV or am I better to buy my receivers elsewhere (ebay?). I may go for two standard receivers and one HD DVR for my main system and then I can move my standard HD receiver elsewhere. Your thoughts and recommendations are appreciated.

Thanks,

Dave

I need three new receivers for Direct TV, nothing fancy just some basic reliable boxes for guest room, basement, and gym. Should I just call DTV or am I better to buy my receivers elsewhere (ebay?). I may go for two standard receivers and one HD DVR for my main system and then I can move my standard HD receiver elsewhere. Your thoughts and recommendations are appreciated.

Thanks,

Dave
Better off getting them from D*, in my opinion.

How many sources of receiver do you think there are?

Directv orders production of every receiver. They distribute them to the BIG BOX stores or to the HSP or to the individual dealers distributers (DSI or PERFECT 10).

Who would then have the cheapest costs?

Any receivers you get from DirecTV now are leased so you would have to give them back if you dropped their service. You can buy used ones on Ebay and activate them as long as the ID numbers are in the clear. You may have to buy new access cards for them though. It depends on how nice the CSR decides to be that day.

Any receivers you get from DirecTV now are leased so you would have to give them back if you dropped their service. You can buy used ones on Ebay and activate them as long as the ID numbers are in the clear. You may have to buy new access cards for them though. It depends on how nice the CSR decides to be that day.

And even the newer receivers you get on eBay are leased receivers. Like Jimbo said, D* would be your best bet.

I've bought my last 2 HD receivers ( H21's ) through a local shop that installs for DirecTV. They were $99 each, were new in box with cards, and show up on my account as leased. I had no problems activating them and adding them to my account.

DirecTV wanted $99 each plus shipping and a contract if I had purchased the receivers through them.

I've bought my last 2 HD receivers ( H21's ) through a local shop that installs for DirecTV. They were $99 each, were new in box with cards, and show up on my account as leased. I had no problems activating them and adding them to my account.

DirecTV wanted $99 each plus shipping and a contract if I had purchased the receivers through them.

In most cases, you end up with the programming commitment anyways.

I think you will find you still have a contract commitment....

I signed a 2yr contract in 2007 when I got my first mpeg-4 HD receiver and dish. I've added 3 more HD receivers since then.

I called today was was told I'm still under the 2007 contract.

I've been a customer since 1995 anyway so it's no big deal, can't get cable or OTA ( one channel ) where I live.

It's just easier to drive 32 miles and pick up a receiver than going through the BS of ordering one through DirecTV. :)

You can acutally BUY the different dvr's and recievers ( you HAVE to do this thru DTV itself) but there is one catch: they cost way more. For example when you go to BB and buy (lease) the basic reciever its 69.00 but to fully purchase it, it will cost you 369.00. The same is true for the hdtv reciever. The lease price at BB is 99.00, to fully purchase it, its 399.00 and last but not least to buy the hdtv dvr like the hr23 the lease price at BB is 199.00, the full purchase price is 499.00. If you all havnt noticed something here, DTV charges you $300.00 on top of the lease price. They copied off the cell phone companies where you can buy a cell phone for a cheap price but you're also stuck on a contract committment or pay another 200.00 and not be stuck in a contract. The same thing is also true when it comes to fully purchasing the recievers/dvrs from DTV. If you do pay the full price then you're NOT stuck in any of those stupid contract committments. Once again to actually BUY the boxes you have to go thru DTV themselves. All the boxes at the retail outlets like BB are LEASE ONLY. I already had talked to several DTV CSR's about this because I plan to buy my new hdtv dvrs just so Im not stuck in any of those contract committments plus I prefer to own my boxes anyways than pay for a box then have tp turn it back to DTV sometime later and not get nothing back if the time came I had to shut off DTV. I personally think the lease crap is a rip off. They want to trap people in those contracts particularly is all thats about.It isnt worth paying a "upfront cost" at the retail store and then later have to turn the box back to DTV since they still actually own the box and not get anything back. Wished DTV would go back to the way they used to be!

And why is this a problem? You do have a choice. Personally I don't care whether I own the receivers or not. The chances of them being worth anything much are small, I had a closet full of old DirecTV receivers worth nothing.
If you do want to own a DirecTV DVR your best bet is probably to buy an HR21 pro, you get these from the dealers like solid signal and weaknees, usually about $400.

I signed a 2yr contract in 2007 when I got my first mpeg-4 HD receiver and dish. I've added 3 more HD receivers since then.

I called today was was told I'm still under the 2007 contract.

I've been a customer since 1995 anyway so it's no big deal, can't get cable or OTA ( one channel ) where I live.

It's just easier to drive 32 miles and pick up a receiver than going through the BS of ordering one through DirecTV. :)

Plus if you buy locally, you can get a NEW one vs. getting whatever D* decides to send you.

OP, if you want to get the best price I know of on a NEW HR-2x unit, check out Costco. Yes, they extend your contract by 2 years, however, Costco warrants the units so you can skip the monthly maint plan from D* and if you have any problems, you call the Costco line and let them deal with D* for you. That is one fine option, hehehe, Costco tends to get some action for you and they have people that can speak English. :D

Our local Costco was selling the H2x HD receivers as well, but when I was there the other day, they didn't have any on a pallet as they usually do, so would check in advance before making a drive to pick up either kind of unit.

As for the SD devices, pick them up at yard sales or flea markets. We sold a ton of them at the last few yard sales for the animal shelter here for no more than 1$ / apiece with remote, so they are cheap. If you bought a few of them, one or more would be able to be used. There are some of us who still have the old Hughes / RCA / Sony boxes we bought long ago (more than 10 years), so they do exist and even work. Most of them are showing up at yard sales now, though. :)

You can acutally BUY the different dvr's and recievers ( you HAVE to do this thru DTV itself) but there is one catch: they cost way more. For example when you go to BB and buy (lease) the basic reciever its 69.00 but to fully purchase it, it will cost you 369.00. The same is true for the hdtv reciever. The lease price at BB is 99.00, to fully purchase it, its 399.00 and last but not least to buy the hdtv dvr like the hr23 the lease price at BB is 199.00, the full purchase price is 499.00. If you all havnt noticed something here, DTV charges you $300.00 on top of the lease price. They copied off the cell phone companies where you can buy a cell phone for a cheap price but you're also stuck on a contract committment or pay another 200.00 and not be stuck in a contract. The same thing is also true when it comes to fully purchasing the recievers/dvrs from DTV. If you do pay the full price then you're NOT stuck in any of those stupid contract committments. Once again to actually BUY the boxes you have to go thru DTV themselves. All the boxes at the retail outlets like BB are LEASE ONLY. I already had talked to several DTV CSR's about this because I plan to buy my new hdtv dvrs just so Im not stuck in any of those contract committments plus I prefer to own my boxes anyways than pay for a box then have tp turn it back to DTV sometime later and not get nothing back if the time came I had to shut off DTV. I personally think the lease crap is a rip off. They want to trap people in those contracts particularly is all thats about.It isnt worth paying a "upfront cost" at the retail store and then later have to turn the box back to DTV since they still actually own the box and not get anything back. Wished DTV would go back to the way they used to be!

Your prices are out of date, solid signal sells the HD-DVR pro (which requires no lease) for 399. DIRECTV HR21PRO 500 GB HD DVR PRO Receiver for Ka-Ku Band (HR21PRO) | HR21PRO [DIRECTV]

No sense in overstating the prices, they are bad enough as is.

Excuse me but all the prices I quoted were given to me directly thru DTV CSR's two months ago. Anyways the hdtv dvr you see on solidsignal is one of the older versions. I plan to buy a hr23 rather than the older ones which I heard had troubles. I did alot of checking things out on this issue ahead of time.

Excuse me but all the prices I quoted were given to me directly thru DTV CSR's two months ago. Anyways the hdtv dvr you see on solidsignal is one of the older versions. I plan to buy a hr23 rather than the older ones which I heard had troubles. I did alot of checking things out on this issue ahead of time.

Whatever. :D

Since D* has never sold anything in the HR line other than the one SS has, I find it interesting that they are making a special case for you and selling you and only you a model that is not available to the masses.

Maybe the CSR was offering you special higher prices since they were offering you special models? That would explain it, as everyone knows that everybody likes paying higher prices.

Note to OP: The "HR21 Pro" model sold at SS, weakknees, etc. is the current model and is not the same as a "standard" HR21.

I was talking to them again yesterday and I guess I learned when it comes to buying the boxes they dont do you any differently than they do the customers who have leased boxes. I mean when I do call them to order the dvr it turns out its just like the leased boxes where you dont know which one they are going to sell you. It could be either the hr22 or hr23 it turns out.What I was talking about on the old hdtv dvrs was I used to hear they were very good about crashing etc all the time back then and even when BB used to have those particular ones, I would read many comments from other customers complaining about these problems. To tell you the truth the DTV CSR's will not ever tell you that you can acutally buy the diffferent dvr's or recievers. Its a case where you have to be the one to say it. They would rather trap you in those damned contract committments ( by getting you the leased boxes). Once you do mention it to them then they will tell you all those prices I shared with you all. Just one of those things they dont want the masses to know lol

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts