Best UPS for Mitsubishi DLP

Hello,

I have a Mitsubishi DLP and want to purchase a UPS preferably made by APC to protect it in case of power failure.

Can someone give me some ideas or some of your own experiences and some idea which one I should purchase?

Links to a couple I am considering:

APC - 1300VA Battery Back-Up System - Black - BX1300G

APC - 900VA Battery Back-Up System - BX900R

Thanks!

;)

APC's are good, and I still have one covering some of my receivers and such. However, last year I bought this one: [ame="http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000FBK3QK/ref=ox_ya_oh_product"]Amazon.com: Cyberpower CP1500AVRLCD UPS - LCD Display 1500VA/900W AVR 8-Outlet RJ11/RJ45/Coax Tower USB: Electronics@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/417CD%2BsnjWL.@@AMEPARAM@@417CD%2BsnjWL[/ame]

Cyberpower CP1500AVRLCD UPS - LCD Display 1500VA/900W AVR 8-Outlet RJ11/RJ45/Coax Tower USB

Because my lcd tv got nuked by a power outage last year Feb, right THROUGH the $150 power filter it was hooked to. I didn't have it on the actual APC UPS, because the tv is a power hog, and the UPS is only a 600watt one. This Cyberpower one goes on sale now and again, and might be a little bit overkill, but it's well worth the peace of mind it'll bring you.

By the way, I was able to recover my pc, because it's capable of being re-flashed with firmware. Luckily, the power spikes just scrambled the firmware, and didn't actually smoke anything.

It seems the battery is a weak link. Several years ago when the battery died on my UPS I took it apart and removed the old battery and ran some heavy wires to a new car battery. I've gone through three car batteries since.

Before the car battery the UPS was good for just a few minutes with all the equipment I have plugged in (audio and three satellite receivers). Now I have an hour.

BTW, I live in Mobile, AL. We get many thunder storms and the power often goes out for a few minutes.

My best friend took a direct hit to his house two days ago. Even with a UPS and his PC turned off the strike fried his PC's motherboard, cordless phone, and cable TV box.

Dennis

Ive had a backups 550 running my tvs and HDDVR for 3 years now. Its very nice when the power drops out, because you can turn the tv off, and the DVR will continue to record.

I recently did a test of the DVR recording, with the APC unplugged, and it still powered it for 50 minutes.

Several years ago when the battery died on my UPS I took it apart and removed the old battery and ran some heavy wires to a new car battery. I've gone through three car batteries since.

Make sure you are using a completely SEALED battery!

Ive had a backups 550 running my tvs and HDDVR for 3 years now. Its very nice when the power drops out, because you can turn the tv off, and the DVR will continue to record.

I recently did a test of the DVR recording, with the APC unplugged, and it still powered it for 50 minutes.

So either one of the two I mentioned in the opening post would be plenty of power in case of a power failure?

10-4.

I've always wondered which was better for a tv during power issues, protection wise. A batt backup or a real good surge protector. Or maybe you should plug the batt backup in the surge protector :)

10-4.

I've always wondered which was better for a tv during power issues, protection wise. A batt backup or a real good surge protector. Or maybe you should plug the batt backup in the surge protector :)

I'm not sure about all UPS but this one has battery back up and surge protection.

One thing I did notice is the advertised "PowerChute auto shutdown software"

I wonder what this is and if anyone knows anything about it?

APC - 1300VA Battery Back-Up System - Black - BX1300G

My APC is too, but the joules its rated at are much lower than the $150 surge prot. I guess plugging the batt backup into the surge strip would be the best.

One thing I did notice is the advertised "PowerChute auto shutdown software"
Powerchute is APC's computer software for monitoring and "gracefully" shutting down a connected Windows computer or doing an emergency shutdown on a Mac (no saving of files).

Powerchute has no connection to CE gear.

I have a Mitsubishi DLP and want to purchase a UPS preferably made by APC to protect it in case of power failure.
APC's website (and several of its competitors) has a sizing calculator to help you figure out what you need.

Unless you have extended electricity brownouts, you probably don't need to worry about the TV.

APC's website (and several of its competitors) has a sizing calculator to help you figure out what you need.

Unless you have extended electricity brownouts, you probably don't need to worry about the TV.

I have an LCD tv, that was only plugged into a VERY expensive ($150) power filter outlet, that has a "power good" setup, that will shut off at the slightest spike (like 1 PICOSECOND response time), and only turn back on after 6 seconds of sensing "power good". My LCD tv got NUKED (bricked) right through this filter last February, because of an extremely slow wave on-off-on-off 6 times power spike!

I had only taken it off my APC 650 SmartUPS recently, because that couldn't power the dvr's, vcr's sat receivers, and tv all at the same time. I was able to recover my tv, because I could reflash it's firmware. Needless to say, I bought another UPS, and put my tv on that. It's well worth the piece of mind, and cheaper than replacing the tv after less than 3 years of life. I will NEVER trust any of my electronics to any sort of simple power filter outlet again, no matter what!

Also, do NOT plug a power filter power strip into a UPS battery backed up outlet, as you will fry the UPS. I've seen this happen at work, and was told it's a known NoNo with UPS's. I also imagine it would be bad to plug the UPS, into the filtered power strip, as the UPS needs to have a very positive connection to the houses/business electrical ground, or it will NOT function correctly.

Yeah, I may consider a real expensive , new APC, with enough wattage to power the TV, the Directv HDDVR and its power inserter then.

I've like all of them to be on the APC.

Yeah, I may consider a real expensive , new APC, with enough wattage to power the TV, the Directv HDDVR and its power inserter then.

I've like all of them to be on the APC.

I think that is what I will do also, get one that is a little larger and has a higher joules rating.

harshness, I have used the calculator on the APC website to buy back ups for a church installation of a couple of projectors and it works great.
I did have a hard time finding a local distributor for the size that I needed for that job and was hoping to get something smaller and less expensive just for the TV to protect the lamp if the power fails, thanks for your post.

Yes, it's a maintenance free battery.

'Maintenance free' is still unsealed- danger of explosion from hydrogen gases produced by charging/discharging. Gases can be ignited by electrical equipment in close proximity. Be careful. Also danger of equipment being damaged by the fumes-causes corrosion of metal, including solder connections and pcb circuits! Telling you this from experience. :no

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)