Best way to clean Blu-ray player?

dlsnyder

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 8, 2003
Moreno Valley, CA
My player is in a spot where it collects a fair bit of dust. So far it hasn't been too big of a problem, but I know I will need to clean it out soon. Has anyone else had to deal with this yet? The instruction manual says do not use a cleaning disc that was designed for CD and DVD. Maxell now has a cleaning disc out for Blu-ray and HD-DVD. Has anyone tried it, or would it be better just to open the thing up and use a can of compressed air?

The inside of the player is getting dusty? How does this happen? Not quite sure what to recommend. I'd refer to your instruction booklet to do whatever they recommend for the player.

And NO, don't use compressed air on it. I'd be scarred it would blow something loose.

I've always wiped any discs before I put them in any player, and then if I ever see some specs of dust on the tray when it's open, I lightly brush off with a static duster. Otherwise, I don't see how any dirt or dust can really get inside the player and I've never had any problem. I also vacuum and dust around my HTS once per week.

I had to open up my old DVD player on a number of occasions for minor repairs and always found dust inside. From time to time I have also had to use a DVD cleaner disc, especially on my DVD burner. So you guys are saying that Blu-ray players are somehow better and do not collect dust inside and that the laser pickup will not get dirty?

I do dust around my home theater components once a week, but the dust still builds up inside.

My computer optical drives gather dust on the slides and around the laser pickup AY. If I see too much, I replace rather than clean. Our office is filthy. It's the line of work we do, and the railroad a few feet away.

That's the route I will probably take. My desktop PC and old DVD player have been disassembled regularly and cleaned out with either compressed air or a small air compressor (primarily used for inflating an air mattress). I just wasn't sure how different the optics were in the Blu-ray player.

I highly recommend using a vacuum in conjunction with compressed air. Relocating the grit or lofting it temporarily into the air probably isn't going to help long-term.

Long term you need to address the dust problem or you're going to suffer mightily.

My desktop PC and old DVD player have been disassembled regularly and cleaned out with either compressed air or a small air compressor (primarily used for inflating an air mattress).
Air compressors are typically a bad idea as they typically produce quite a bit of condensate along with the air. Canned "air" is a much better choice.

I highly recommend using a vacuum in conjunction with compressed air. Relocating the grit or lofting it temporarily into the air probably isn't going to help long-term.

Long term you need to address the dust problem or you're going to suffer mightily.

I guess I could hermetically seal my house, and use a military-grade HEPA filter for air circulation. Kinda seems like overkill to extend the useable life of my "free" Blu-ray player.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts