Best way to cool 622

Strange, I did turn a switch on power strip a couple times accidentally and each time 622 after restart did show low values ...

Just checked temps again. No change. Will check again tonight. If hasn't changed will unplug it again and see what happens. My DVR may just have a temp sensor not working correctly. Have no other issues. DVR has been working great.

Running with open cover last month:
4/8: 109/93/98
4/14: 114/91/100
4/23: 114/91/98
5/4: 111/93/98

Wow, nice temps Smith, P. My temps are still the same. I will try to de-power it in the morning and see what happens. Got company and watching recordings the rest of the day.

I stuck mine under my floor, onto a wood shelf that I attached to the joists in my basement ceiling. I installed a coax extension on my RF antenna and ran it back up into my living room. Dead quiet and my temps are 120/96/105. It's been down there for about 18 months now.

One negative of a USB powered fan is that it draws more power off of the 622's power supply and thus generates more heat inside of the 622's box. The net result can still be a lower temp, but it does start at a disadvantage.

current results with open cover and a fan blowing downward onto the mainboard between power supply and hard drive: 104/87/91

I just found the ground and +12V (or +5V, whichever the fan needed, I forget) directly on the power supply and attached it there (non destructively)

Im not too confident of a USB fan either, Im going to give mine a week or so. Prob will consider a laptop cooler next. Im 138/107/125 right now :(

Guess I could always yank the top off, lower temps have to outweigh the dust.

One negative of a USB powered fan is that it draws more power off of the 622's power supply and thus generates more heat inside of the 622's box. The net result can still be a lower temp, but it does start at a disadvantage.

Use an A/C adapter for USB fanss.

Last edited:
Wow, nice temps Smith, P. My temps are still the same. I will try to de-power it in the morning and see what happens. Got company and watching recordings the rest of the day.

Tried another power cycle and the temps are still the same. Had power disconnected for five minutes. I think my DVR temp sensor is stuck. OH well, no big deal everything else works OK. The DVR is real cool to the touch and is working great so I am no longer concerned with it. The latest external fan configuration I am using is the duel fan setup. I no longer use a laptop cooler and have removed the spacers. Here is a link to the external fan.

Dish VIP 622/722 Cooling Fan System with thermoswitch - eBay (item 360047619490 end time May-05-08 19:45:11 PDT)

Im not too confident of a USB fan either, Im going to give mine a week or so. Prob will consider a laptop cooler next. Im 138/107/125 right now :(

Guess I could always yank the top off, lower temps have to outweigh the dust.

Laptop cooler didn't do that much for my DVR. External fans seem to work the best. Check out page 14 of this link for the DVR case vent info.
http://www.dbstalk.com/622review/DBSTalkViP622Review.pdf

Here is the latest external fan setup I am trying out. The case is real cool to the touch. The DVR temp sensor seems to be stuck so I can't give a real good temp reading.
Dish VIP 622/722 Cooling Fan System with thermoswitch - eBay (item 360047619490 end time May-05-08 19:45:11 PDT)

The ebay fans are pretty nice.

Can someone tell me where the "void" sticker is on the 622/722? Just wondering on the cover because I thought the sticker was on the HDD bracket so that makes it ok to take the cover off.

Ive noticed mine only changes after the 3am update or whenever you have the box scheduled.

Three of my DVR's temps change from time to time. I can't pend down when it happens. My fourth DVR temp has been stuck for a long time now.

Attachments

• DVR Temps-1.xls
    43 KB · Views: 68
Running with open cover last month:
4/8: 109/93/98
4/14: 114/91/100
4/23: 114/91/98
5/4: 111/93/98

Smith, P. Guess what? The DVR that the temps seemed to be stuck changed today. Average temp dropped 2 degrees. Yehaaa. I guess it is just being stubborn. Attached are the latest readings.

Attachments

• DVR Temps-1.xls
    43 KB · Views: 75
You guys are spending $50 for something that you can get for $10 on Amazon (Thermaltake USB Fan, high quality, place on left side).

You are also "re-inventing the wheel" as there is a huge thread on this site about this issue, complete with many pictures, suggestions, etc. It's the one linked by P. Smith, but unfortuntely he did not identify what was in the link, so it was ignored by everyone.

PS Laptop coolers don't work so well because they blow in the wrong place. USB Fans don't raise the temperature of the power supply, because the amount of power they use is a small fraction of the total power used by the receiver.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts