Best Way to Record LP's to MP3?

DSpud

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 23, 2007
Laredo, TX
I know this has been discussed before somewhere, but Figured we could talk about it again. How do you guys set up your LP Player to make MP3's? I have 300+ records and I have decided that I refuse to buy, or steal, anymore of my music when I have it sitting on black plastic disks in my closet. I figure I will have to hook up the LP player to the line in on my computer. What programs do you all suggest? Any freeware programming out there for this purpose?

I know this has been discussed before somewhere, but Figured we could talk about it again. How do you guys set up your LP Player to make MP3's? I have 300+ records and I have decided that I refuse to buy, or steal, anymore of my music when I have it sitting on black plastic disks in my closet. I figure I will have to hook up the LP player to the line in on my computer. What programs do you all suggest? Any freeware programming out there for this purpose?

This kind of device looks like it would work well. Kinda pricey, but easy to use.
TEAC LP-R400 Turntable CD Recorder & Radio

I cant really recommend any freeware, but since you have 300, the price would be worth it.

Probablly the best method is to buy Soundforge and make sure you get the vinyl restoration plugin. It works great removing the clicks pops, hiss, etc

Sound Blaster Live! 24-bit External - 24-bit ADVANCED HD, USB Setup, CMSS 3D

I would think something like this would be the easiest route.
ionAudio - Vinyl Recording USB Turntable - TTUSB

I've been considering something like this because I have a fair amount of vinyl that has never been released on CD. This sort of unit is nice because it is plug and play and already has the scratch and pop filter software included.

Update: after I posted, I went back and read the reviews. They are all over the place. It might be better to spend a little more and get a better unit like this one:
Audio-Technica - USB Turntable - AT-LP2D-USB

Actually if you have good audio equipment already, many audio cards include the ability to capture audio. And lots of software, free or otherwise, can convert this into MP3.

Actually if you have good audio equipment already, many audio cards include the ability to capture audio. And lots of software, free or otherwise, can convert this into MP3.

I was wondering about this route, I know there should be a way to hook it up a traditional record player to a computer (through line in port maybe???) Just need to find the software to record it all, and let me separate it into MP3's. I dont care about making the sound perfect...If I wanted taht, i would buy CD's and Mp3's of the music.

I was wondering about this route, I know there should be a way to hook it up a traditional record player to a computer (through line in port maybe???) Just need to find the software to record it all, and let me separate it into MP3's. I dont care about making the sound perfect...If I wanted taht, i would buy CD's and Mp3's of the music.

On both my desktop and laptop, the audio card companies had free software to capture as Wave. For my IPOD I used ITUNES to convert to AAC (rather than MP3).

One thing to remember is that classic phono players had an output that was a lot lower in amplitude. It fed into a special phono input on the amplifier. In that case, you would need to feed into the system and digitize to the computer via the tape monitor jacks.

If you have a turntable already and an amplifier/receiver with LP in, that is the way to go. If your amp/receiver doesn't have LP in, then purchase a pre-amp like Amazon.com: TCC TC-750 Audiophile Phono Preamp, Pre-amp (Preamplifier): Electronics.

I have one of the Ion record decks (Amazon.com: ION iTTUSB05 USB Turntable: Electronics) and it has a bit of wow-flutter, sounds a hair bit slow (then again I'm very picky).

Audicity software is ok, you have to experiment with the pop-click, noise reductions options and what order to modify the recording....

If it were me i would just plug it into your line in/mic port on your PC and use this handy piece of shareware called goldwave to record, chop, and encode into whatever audio format you want.

If it were me i would just plug it into your line in/mic port on your PC and use this handy piece of shareware called goldwave to record, chop, and encode into whatever audio format you want.

As mention earlier, the output of the turntable is not enough to record from directly, therefore you need a pre-amp to boost the signal...

ok, go to a 99 cents store, get a cable with double 3.5 heads, read as, input and output the same thing, aka/audio jacks. connect the cable from the LP player to the line in to the computer. search for Audacity, read chapters: Input, Chop/separete tracks and save as. In their websites you will find the pluggin you will need for extra feature or better quality. This will be a fast pace.
ie: Plug cable, install software, activate line in, run software, play sound, Clic record - yes the big red button, record everything you want, and , yes clic Stop - yes Square button. after that, check music and start cutting at the end of each song, and pasting in a new Audacity window, then save as you like.- Enjoy!! you know the rest! Keep us post!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)