Best way to remove snow

bobvick

Pub Member / Supporter
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 20, 2006
Northwest Alabama
We are supposed to have between 5" and 8" of snow here in NW Alabama this evening through early tomorrow morning. Since I do not have that much experience in keeping my dish free of snow when it accumulates enough to affect reception, I thought that some of you who are a bit more versed in dealing with snow could provide some suggestions. Thanks

Dishman1978 said:
Move to where it doesn't snow. Lol

Well, it's not supposed to snow in Alabama :eek:) I hope that the power stays on, the BCS National Championship is tomorrow night. I do have a generator for the TV though. Thanks for your suggestions. I thought that hot water would work pretty good. It is a pole mount so it is pretty easy get to.

I wouldn't do anything unless you lose signal. We have had a fair amount of snow here in the mountains of NE TN so far this winter. I have seen several inches of snow on the front of my dish & have not had to brush any snow off of it yet. As a preventative measure, I agree with dahenny and the rain-x option.

Yep. If its low to the ground, just a broom will do, If its caked on Ice, Just Use Hot water from the faucet.
It will Not refreeze worse!!!!

If its High up, the supersoaker with Hot water works great!

Snow shouldn't be an issue unless the Temp is over 28 degrees or freezing rain is mixed in.

Snow fall in the low 20 degree range or less should not effect your signal since the colder it is the lighter the snow and contains less water. (Less Dense).

Living in the Pocono Mt's you learn a thing or two about snow.

Snowfall with temps over 30 degrees or freezing rain are you signals worst nightmare.
Moderate or Heavy Sleet will also cause signal Fade, but won't stick to the dish.

Good luck. 5-8 inches is nothing to worry about.

Do they sell Super-Soakers in January ? :)

I had signal loss a few weeks ago with only ~2 inches of wet snow on my roof mount dish. Took the hose, with spray nozzle and cold water (its what I had) to knock it all and all was well. Will have to see what kind of crazy mix we get here over the next 2 days (they're calling for just about every flavor of frozen precip at some point)

Do they sell Super-Soakers in January ? :)

I had signal loss a few weeks ago with only ~2 inches of wet snow on my roof mount dish. Took the hose, with spray nozzle and cold water (its what I had) to knock it all and all was well. Will have to see what kind of crazy mix we get here over the next 2 days (they're calling for just about every flavor of frozen precip at some point)
Hoses would work too. But not in the northeast. They are put away months ago.

For us to drag a hose out is a pain in the butt. They will freeze if left out side,and so would our Outdoor Faucets.:)

I shut my outside water off in November.:up

we just got 36.8 inches of snow in northern IN and what we would use is snowballs to hit the dish to knock the snow off. On a good note that much snow and I didnt have a problem with my dish at all. So 5- 8 inches should not be a problem

anyone else using salt to get the dish unfrozen from Ice and Snow, we here in Texas are getting this too and i don't think it's gonna work as our dish isn't working right.

Especially if it is on a pole mount, I recommend brushing it off with a broom or something (next to waiting for the sun to come out and clear it for you). I know Tony uses heat tape on his dish, but at my home its in an easy enough spot to reach where I can just brush it off with a broom.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)