BestBuy and ValueElectronics are taking pre-orders for Toshiba HD DVD!

dewd said:
Will this work with my TV - Hitachi 51F500A? My TV only has DVI and Component inputs. I'd love to have one but am not ready to replace a 2 year old TV for it.
Yes, it should work. If it's 2 years old it should have a HDCP-compatible DVI interface (can't verify that looking at the brochure). You may have to buy an HDMI-to-DVI cable if it is not included with the player.

discodol said:
My WS65905 only has component inputs...
My understanding is that you might not be able to get full resolution over component inputs. Though I am not sure if this restriction is global, or whether it will be made on a title-by-title basis...

Ilya said:
My understanding is that you might not be able to get full resolution over component inputs. Though I am not sure if this restriction is global, or whether it will be made on a title-by-title basis...

You will only get the up conversion and the HD DVD full resolution on the HDMI output. The component outputs 480, so those of us with component only inputs on our HDTVs will not get any advantage from the HD DVD players. We can go HDMI to DVI and then to component, but if the signal has HDCP which all the movie HD DVDs will have, you will only get sound no picture. Until legislation requires backwards compatibility those of us with component only input HDTVs are stuck with 480 resolution for HD DVDs.

How much will the Movies cost and more importantly will anyone be renting them soon like Netfix?

There is no point in buying this thinf if the Movies are $40 each. How much were DVDs when they first came out?

As already stated, HDMI-DVI is 100% perfect also connect stereo audio or AC3.

Sorry you will not enjoy full 1080i or 720p through component video inputs, just 480p.

Netflix will carry all of the HD DVD titles as soon as they are available; March 28 is the first release date. I am fairly sure the HD DVD player is compatible with all SD DVD disc. The HD DVD disc are less expensive then Blu-rey discs.

-Robert

DTV TiVo Dealer said:
I sincerely appreciate everyone's opinions. Here's my take on the design of the very first HD DVD player to hit the market. Toshiba has come out with a well positioned and very well priced HD DVD player line. My hat's off to all of the fine engineering and business development folks at Toshiba. Keep the competition hopping and sweating.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. When I had my dealer VIP tour at Toshiba’s CES exhibit, of course, we spent a lot of time at the HD DVD area. Toshiba had several senior technical and management staff answering my questions and presenting the HD-A1/XA1 products.

I focused mostly on the stunning image quality generated by this beast. And very honestly I personally and professionally like the chassis and its mechanical design. I like the large round art deco styled sturdy stabilizing feet and the very well designed, rugged body construction. The HD-XA1 is very professionally designed with a slick black finish and glossy black motorized front door, which covers the dual USB ports and DVD loading door.

Most will agree that Toshiba’s sub $500 and the upgraded $800 models serve the demanding HD market very well. And the users will be enjoying stunning HD blockbuster movies to add exciting HD content to their home entertainment systems months before the thousand plus dollor Blu-rey players and expensive disc's becomne available. Why wait.

Like I said, beauty is truly in the eye of the beholder (in this case the beholder will be the owners of this beauty in, shall we say… the beast)

-Robert
What are the differences between the base 499 model and the 799 upgrade? i couldnt find the info.

I love Netfix.
Was there a press release or Email on NetFlix and HD DVD rentals, this is key to me pre-ordering one. Will they cost extra to rent on Netflix?

My viewing habit is that I normaly only watch a DVD Once, then wait about 2 years so I forget some of what it was about, there is no point in me buying a $20-$40 HD DVD if Im only going to watch it once every 2 years.

Thus, due to my viewing habits, Renting is a must for me. I dont want to pre-order one unless I am sure the rentals will be there.

I checked around, Value Electronics seems to be the best deal out there for Price and quick safe shipping.

I just noticed on the Value E page that it only comes with a six foot HDMI-HDMI cable.

Some of us only have DVI ports on our TVs, is there an option to get a different cable or is an Adaptor included?

Also, the V.E. page mentions Internet STARZ Movies, Yahoo and Google content , any of these guys planning and HD content to use with this box?

ScottChez said:
I just noticed on the Value E page that it only comes with a six foot HDMI-HDMI cable.
Some of us only have DVI ports on our TVs, is there an option to get a different cable or is an Adaptor included?
Also, the V.E. page mentions Internet STARZ Movies, Yahoo and Google content , any of these guys planning and HD content to use with this box?

I believe you will be able to connect the Toshiba HD-A1 or HD-XA1 to a broadband connection and pass HD content from the Internet.

We also just began to offer additional discounts for multiple HD-DVD orders.

-Robert

I made a chart on my site that lists all of the features of both HD DVD players. Here's a recap of the extra benefits of the HD-XA1 model.

Other exclusive features on the HD-XA1 are:
RS232 port on the rear panel for control systems
Motorized front panel cover
Motion activated "Illuminated remote control unit"
Dual USB ports on the front panel
Professional Black chassis

-Robert

DTV TiVo Dealer said:
I made a chart on my site that lists all of the features of both HD DVD players. Here's a recap of the extra benefits of the HD-XA1 model.

Other exclusive features on the HD-XA1 are:
RS232 port on the rear panel for control systems
Motorized front panel cover
Motion activated "Illuminated remote control unit"
Dual USB ports on the front panel
Professional Black chassis

-Robert

Oops, sorry about that, I didn't scroll down far enough on your review page.

I guess they don't support SACD/DVD-A. Oh well, this is for HD viewing, not listening to music I guess. :D

Thanks.

discodol said:
Is the Toshiba really going to give us 1080i on component out or is this just an ugly rumor? How about for upconvert?
Both HD-A1 and HD-XA1 can upconvert regular DVDs to 1080i and 720p. My understanding is that this applies to both HDMI and component outputs. As for down-converting HD content over component, this will be up to content providers whether to enforce this or not (via the ICT flag).
See the following article for details: http://www.videobusiness.com/article/CA6300812.html

Ilya said:
Both HD-A1 and HD-XA1 can upconvert regular DVDs to 1080i and 720p. My understanding is that this applies to both HDMI and component outputs. As for down-converting HD content over component, this will be up to content providers whether to enforce this or not (via the ICT flag).
See the following article for details: http://www.videobusiness.com/article/CA6300812.html

100% correct as usual.

Some studios have announced compliance with the ICT down-ressing through the component video connection as Hollywood wants protection when users are not using the HDCP on the HDMI or DVI ports.

I just jazzed up my HD DVD page and we are now offering a free HD DVD with every HD DVD player purchase.

-Robert

Robert, any word on the HD DVD pricing? Are they going to be around $25, like the first DVDs?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)