BestBuy and ValueElectronics are taking pre-orders for Toshiba HD DVD!

I have been working on procuring Warner, Paramount, HBO and Weinstein Bros HD DVD for a few weeks and here's what I know so far.

List price should be around $29.99 to $39.99 (depending on studio and title) for a HD DVD.

About 20 HD DVD's should be available on 3/28/06.

Availability is very limited as early production is scheduled for a slow roll-out and filling the pipeline takes a very high volume of product.

-Robert

Thanks for the info! I see you are offering a free HD DVD with each player. I assume this is your own bundle. Do you know if Toshiba is going to have anything included with the player? When I bought my very first Toshiba DVD player, it was bundled with Video Essentials DVD. I wonder if they are going to do anything like that this time around? Actually, the VE DVD was not ready in time, so they shipped it later, as far as I remember.

DTV TiVo Dealer said:
Nothing from Toshiba at this time, this is my own idea to offer a gift with purchase.
Well, that should essentially beat the BestBuy's price of $473.99 ;)

DTV TiVo Dealer said:
100% correct as usual.
Some studios have announced compliance with the ICT down-ressing through the component video connection as Hollywood wants protection when users are not using the HDCP on the HDMI or DVI ports.
I just jazzed up my HD DVD page and we are now offering a free HD DVD with every HD DVD player purchase.
-Robert

Hi Robert, Your page on the Toshiba says: "So when you play any of your SD DVD's with your HD-A1 and HD-XA1 you will enjoy your choice of 720p or 1080i resolution through the built-in up-converting circuitry and HDMI output."

To clarify, the upconverting to 1080i will also take place over component out? And full 1080i resolution from the HDDVDs will also take place over component out unless the HDDVD has the ITC flag? If you can guarantee that the answer to both of these question is yes I will be able to seriously consider purchasing as I only have component inputs on my HDTV.

WOW. I'm starting to get sucked into this. Robert, will you be carrying Blu-ray as well? I think available titles are going to decide it for me. I want to get right into this, but a bit apprehensive until I see blu-rays titles.

Oh, and since it will download movies....will it download HD movies and is there...or will there be a place to do that?

Having just placed my order for the Toshiba HD DVD unit yesterday....was just wondering if you will follow past practice, as with the Hughes HR10-250, and be able to post the "standings" of your customers in the order line.....so that we can spend endless more hours talking about such and to see if our orders will be fulfilled in your first batch of deliveries.

I don't know when I had more fun than during that time of the HD DVR!

Regards,

Mel Ott

DTV TiVo Dealer said:
I have been working on procuring Warner, Paramount, HBO and Weinstein Bros HD DVD for a few weeks and here's what I know so far.

List price should be around $29.99 to $39.99 (depending on studio and title) for a HD DVD.

About 20 HD DVD's should be available on 3/28/06.

Availability is very limited as early production is scheduled for a slow roll-out and filling the pipeline takes a very high volume of product.

-Robert

DTV TiVo Dealer said:
Mel, thanks for your order. We would need to invite Doug to SatelliteGuys to manage projects like that.

-Robert

I understand and.....that would probably also require Doug to have placed an order too!

Do you think you will be able to deliver, out of your first batch, to all that have ordered at this time?

Regards,

Mel

I've gone back and forth on this four or five times in the last 24 hours. I need a compelling arguement to pull the trigger.

Discuss.

Personally, I still think Blu-ray has a better chance of winning the format war in the long run - just too many companies are behind the format! Having said that, I am now going to purchase the HD DVD in March! My arguments are as follows:

1. Buying a $500 HD DVD player in March will satisfy my immidiate urge to have an HD player and will (hopefully) help me resist buying a first-generation Blu-ray player for $1000 in summer. With an HD DVD player in my hands I might be able to defer the purchase of a Blu-ray player till next year, when these players will become better and probably cheaper.

2. I think, once the HD DVD is released, it will not vanish the next day. Even if it is going to lose the format war eventually, this format will probably be around for some time. As long as the movie studios stick to their announced release plans, we should be ok, at least for a year or two.

3. Even in the very worst-case scenario, this Toshiba player will still serve me as a good up-converting player for standard DVDs. Perhaps better than most Blu-ray players!

4. And the final (or perhaps the main) reason for me: I just can't wait any longer! I want it now!!! :devil:

I read somewhere that the movie companies supporting HD DVD constitute 40% of the DVD sales last year. So, they're not out gunned by any means.

Also, this will probably become a war between Microsoft and Sony. I think Microsoft has a little money to throw around (40billion+ cash!!).

Netflix support.

Just do it!

teamerickson said:
I read somewhere that the movie companies supporting HD DVD constitute 40% of the DVD sales last year. So, they're not out gunned by any means.
Keep in mind though that many of those 40% (Warner, Paramount) support both formats. Which means, as soon as they see which side is winning - they will probably stop supporting the other side. But then again, I don't see this happening within the first year.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)