BestBuy hardware purchase

Status
Please reply by conversation.

d0ug

Original poster
Feb 25, 2006
Now that the lease program has started, can you walk into a bestbuy, grab a reciever off the shelf, pay cash at the register and walk out the store no questions asked? I was able to do this several times before the lease program started. I imagine now they might make you signup in store.

The BestBuy ad I received in the paper yesterday had DirecTV receivers you could purchase under the lease program. I don't know if you will have to sign up at the store. My understanding is everything is pretty much the same as before the lease program except now you will not own the equipment.

so, what are you purchasing, the right to lease the equipment?? Im glad i got everything I needed before this leasing stuff.

Unless BB asks for you to sign a lease agreement at the time you pickup the receiver you can likely activate it as "owned" before 3/30. What happens after that is unknown.

And can you still get a 30 day refund if you lease?

Last edited:
CRendall said:
The BestBuy ad I received in the paper yesterday had DirecTV receivers you could purchase under the lease program. I don't know if you will have to sign up at the store. My understanding is everything is pretty much the same as before the lease program except now you will not own the equipment.
@&%#&*@^ !!!

I tried to load this information into the aging gray-matter processor and it immediately crashed! I.e., why would anyone want to purchase equipment at BB (or anywhere else) that you would not own? I believe the prices shown in the BB flyer and/or on-line site are the lease start-up prices, certainly not an outright ownership price, and I agree, it looks like those are unchanged.

Not being a D* customer, I don't have a dog in this hunt...yet...but I'm concerned that E* will launch a similar program, so I watching closely...

bhelms, it's already statrted. E* now has a $299 upfront cost, $6/mo lease fee, minimum $49/mo. HD package and 18 month term agreement when existing subs upgrade to the ViP622 HD DVR.

Direct and Dish wanted to not look like the cable company, but they are looking more and more like the cable company in my book, equipment wise, but some bean counter must have figured this as a cost savings because why would they do it. Personaly, I hate leases, esp when I have to pay to start to lease, that is a crock. If I have to pay 500 bucks to start a lease on a HD PVR, they can keep it, Ill build a PC that is a HD PVR. Dont, get me wrong, Im totaly happy with Direct and their service prices, but leasing leaves a bad taste in my mouth, that and the dinner I had last night...LOL...this is just my own personal rant....

This is a dark day for D* and the reason we told anyone who would listen to BUY the equipment before March 1st. The next step is to contact your state atorry general to step in and put a stop to this. I will see if I can get a list of all 50 Atty Generals and post them here.

i got my h20 on feb 18th....free equipment and free install,cause NO WAY was i going to rent equipment....i might as well go back to cable...

I'm no defender of D* and I'm no attorney but it seems to me to get the AG involved would require something illegal here or at the least something deceptive. I don't see that as long as the terms are fully provided to the lesee at the time of the agreement. It might seem unfair compared to what we have been use to but we do have a choice. I've been with D* since 1994 and paid $1600 initially for 2 receivers (dumb, slow ones) and installed myself so what we have by comparison today is almost a bargain.

I think what you are going to see happen is like this. Joe Sixpack goes into BB and plunks down his $$$ for a reciever or three and the Beevis or Butthead that works there doesn't know enough to tell the guy that it's a lease, but DOES know enough to get them to sign all the paperwork. I bet you a steak dinner that it doesn't say lease in big black letters at the top. Next thing you know is that Joe Sixpack wants out and doesn't get to keep his "bought" equipment and has to pay all these fees AND D* hounds him to send the stuff back.....only Joe and Beevis don't have a clue what is happening. Next thing you know Joe DOES know enough to call the AG and you have a class action lawsuit or a bunch of state AGs coming down on D*.

As for me I'll just live without and HD DVR. Screw them.

The new Smarthome catalog

has D* equipment and no mention of a lease. It says the current promotion expires 4/29/06.

Prices:

DVR: $99
HD Receiver: $99
HD DVR $499

Plus all come with $100 MIR. Ad says for new customers only.

Ad is on page 20 of the Smarthome Style catalog.

Circuit City has now changed their web site receiver title to state "Equipment Leasing". When you go through checkout you get to see a big legal document "DIRECTV EQUIPMENT LEASE ADDENDUM".
It's just a matter of time before BB will do this too.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)