Better Business Bureau calls out Dish, satellite TV

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Can the local subs modify your account, or do they just do hardware? I've had great luck working with the local sub who installed our Dish and receiver after we moved, and their support after installation with a few problems was amazing!

Other than through the Chat I've had very little luck calling Dish directly because the folks I speak to have always been foreigners with little knowledge of the English language.

The issue is that the CSR position is one that has a high turnover.

Imagine answering the phones 8 hours a day for $11 an hour just to have people yell at you. In addition the position is fustratng for many as they are trying to support a product that they don't use.

It amazes me how many DISH Network employees (including many I deal with on a daily basis) who don't have DISH Network service at their homes. There have been times in the past where I reported an issuee or asked a question of what happened and they had no clue what I was talking about since they did not have DISH Network themselves.

I would not want to be a DISH Network CSR.

Steve is right, being a CSR is a hard job in a lot of ways. I was a CSR for both a health insurance and a home medical equipment company. To be a good one you have to know what the product is, as much as you can know and more sometimes. The real problem comes from companies wanting CSRs to handle customers like you're at the fast food drive through. They want you to answer "x" amount of calls per hour. At the insurance company we had a flashing light board with the # of calls waiting. The number would turn from green to red as wait time & calls holding went up...then it would start flashing.

Sadly, only a handful of companies have learned that if you let your CSR have the time to really take care of the customer calling in, your call volume decreases and customer service ratings goes up. T-Mobile is a company that has learned this.

Ghpr13:)

It amazes me how many DISH Network employees (including many I deal with on a daily basis) who don't have DISH Network service at their homes. There have been times in the past where I reported an issuee or asked a question of what happened and they had no clue what I was talking about since they did not have DISH Network themselves.

Since February, that should be less than 20% of the employee base. Managers are required to ensure at least 80% of their direct reports are subscribers as a(n unspoken) condition of employment.

The Customer Service still has a long way to go... for Dish Network

I have called 3 times to dish support the last 2 months... every time being a guy sounding like he is from india... hard to understand... and just reading screen prompts.

If dish is going to promote HD for life for Dish Customers.... then charging existing customers $200 to upgrade if you have a dvr and want the HD box with dvr is just not right at all.

It is obvious that if they truly care about their customers who pay them every month.... and want them to renew their contracts when they expire... then they need to give customer service to everyone who is a dish customer.... not just the new ones to sign or renew a contract and everyone else has to pay a fee.

Its just not right....

I have called 3 times to dish support the last 2 months... every time being a guy sounding like he is from india... hard to understand... and just reading screen prompts.

If dish is going to promote HD for life for Dish Customers.... then charging existing customers $200 to upgrade if you have a dvr and want the HD box with dvr is just not right at all.

It is obvious that if they truly care about their customers who pay them every month.... and want them to renew their contracts when they expire... then they need to give customer service to everyone who is a dish customer.... not just the new ones to sign or renew a contract and everyone else has to pay a fee.

Its just not right....

Does not sound like you want good service, sounds like you want FREE service. Neither company Dish or Direct will upgrade you for free.

For the number of subscribers, Dish has signifiantly less complaints than Directv.

I was told that Dish actually researches just about every BBB complaint, and after listening to the sales call and doing their investigation that about 85% of the complaints they receive are without merit and are mostly from customers trying to get out of paying a cancellation fee.

I have to wonder if sat new sub numbers would grow dramatically if the contract requirement were elminated?

in this economy with so many, near everyone scared of job loss contracts for anything may be discouraging new business.......

comcast here is contract free, they earn your continued business rather than ball and chain you to them.

I have to wonder if sat new sub numbers would grow dramatically if the contract requirement were elminated?

in this economy with so many, near everyone scared of job loss contracts for anything may be discouraging new business.......

comcast here is contract free, they earn your continued business rather than ball and chain you to them.

Its the same for both the local cable company and ATT U-verse here. No contracts, and while the cable company has made enemies over the years, they are coming back to life and competing, as is ATT. Neither has contracts, no ETFs and actually cheaper than satellite.

It used to be that you saw Diwrecked and Dish trucks all over the metro area doing new installs. Those trucks are being replaced by ones from ATT primarily now.

Its the same for both the local cable company and ATT U-verse here. No contracts, and while the cable company has made enemies over the years, they are coming back to life and competing, as is ATT. Neither has contracts, no ETFs and actually cheaper than satellite.

It used to be that you saw Diwrecked and Dish trucks all over the metro area doing new installs. Those trucks are being replaced by ones from ATT primarily now.

comcast bundles here and fios trucks.

many dishes are missing the LNBs, a sure sign of a lost sub.

at some point big cable may decide rural areas are the new growth zone.....

fewer potential subs but higher profit margins.

rural rates could legitametely be higher, due to costs. but potential customers may happily pay to get quality service....

Has anyone ever thought that there are indian people living in the US and may work at these call centers. There are plenty of times I have called in to Dish and get someone in the US that I just can't understand. I have troubles understanding people with southern accents a lot of times on the phone.

People need to slow down when they talk on the phone and learn to annunciate.

I think this is part of the pendulum swing. Right now with the economy a lot of people are trying to cut cost. Cable and AT&T have pretty much zero start up cost, no securing of equipment, and without any contracts it a simpler way to go. Also right now E* & D* may appear rather stagnant compared to cable & At&T because both E* & D* have a lot more HD channels and the other two are playing catch up. But consumers don't always compare apples to apples, and when first comparing pricing, it seems as if those other two are cheaper than D* & E*, so people are turning to them to save. When the economy starts to shift again (hopefully soon), I think you will see D* & E* subs increasing again.

Ghpr13:)

And yet one of the two services will brag about getting the award for best service from a satellite provider. its like Yassir Arafat winning a nobel peace prize over Saddam Hussein and Osama Bin Laden. LMAO

For the number of subscribers, Dish has signifiantly less complaints than Directv.

I was told that Dish actually researches just about every BBB complaint, and after listening to the sales call and doing their investigation that about 85% of the complaints they receive are without merit and are mostly from customers trying to get out of paying a cancellation fee.

In other words Dish could eliminate most complaints by not having a 2 year contract. With leased equipment they probably could break even with just a 6 month contract.

Cable companies have spent just as much money (or more) to get service to a sub and they do not have the contract.

In other words Dish could eliminate most complaints by not having a 2 year contract. With leased equipment they probably could break even with just a 6 month contract.
Indeed. It's not as though leased receivers suddenly evaporate upon contract termination. Dish (I hope!) gets them back just like a cable STB. It's not like a cell pone company who subsidizes the handset which you get to keep in perpetuity.

Lousy customer service starts with overseas call centers manned by non english as a first language entry level wage people.
The most important issue customers must realize is these call center people are the very bottom of the totem pole. Thay are problem solvers, whcih is why customer dial that nnumber in the first place.
It is highly frustrating to have service problems and then to compoud the problem, we must deal with a person halfway around the world who barely has the ability to read us a script in broken English.
If either or both Satcos showed some balls and brought their frontline call centers back to the US, complaints about poor customer service would drop precipitously.
JMHO...Oh, there's plenty of unemployed Americans who'd love to have a $10 per hour job answering phones.

thats where your wrong. many americans dont want the job. they start at 11.50 an hour here in tulsa and they cannot keep the place staffed.

The issue is that the CSR position is one that has a high turnover.

Imagine answering the phones 8 hours a day for $11 an hour just to have people yell at you. In addition the position is fustratng for many as they are trying to support a product that they don't use.

I would not want to be a DISH Network CSR.

turnover is not dealing with the customers. its dealing with management. they constantly play favorites among employees (giviing time off or excusing abesenses for one, but not the other), violate fmla regulations, and tel you half an hour before your shift is off that you have to stay longer. and if you ask for a few minutes to make a phone call to let those at home know you will not be home at your regular time their face will pucker up like they just ate a bite out of a lemon.

hopefully sat companies faced with losses to cables no contract model will be forced to follow along....

unhappily probably but likely with no other choice:)

thats where your wrong. many americans dont want the job. they start at 11.50 an hour here in tulsa and they cannot keep the place staffed.
Yeah...And these are the same douchebags that whine like little school girls in the weeks prior to their taxpayer funded extended vacation's expiration. These people simply do not want to earn a living. They simply want to get paid.
Unreal.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)