Better RF Remote

21st Hermit

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Nov 26, 2005
Colorado
I have a DVR 501 with a combo RF/IR remote. From 10-20 feet it works very well, at 30 feet more than a little frustrating. The 501 sits at the bottom of a TV cabinet, essentially on the floor. I'd rather not move it, big hassle.

So do I need a better remote or can I do something with the antenna to enhance reception? Does Dish have a long range RF remote or do I look at a remote maker like Logitech?

Thanks

easiest thing is to take a piece of coax cable and attach it to the UHF antenna output and extend the antenna higher. I did that with my old 5000 receiver and I could change the channel outside :)

Are you talking about the remote that came with the 501? Isn't that a single-tuner, IR-only remote? I guess my question boils down to whether the problem is with an IR remote or RF remote. IR remotes can be tricky, since they require line-of-site. But, there are several options, one of which you might already have.
If you have a big screen TV, check to see if it came with some IR "blasters" (some times called IR repeaters). On my TV, and the TV's of some friends and relatives, the IR sensor for the TV is mounted behind the screen on RP models. In the back, there's a couple 1/8" jacks for the repeater cables, which gets your around a lot of line-of-site issues.
If your TV doesn't have this feature, look for an IR Distribution kit. This lets you put an IR receiver in a convenient location, then run the repeater cables to your equipment, which can be out of site, in a closet, behind a closed cabinet, etc... These work great and can really help make your room look less cluttered.

So, if you're having problems with an IR remote, that info might help.

No the 5xx series dvr's all have rf remotes and as stated above,the easiest is to attach a piece of coax to the antenna and the remote antenna input on the receiver. Then you can get the antenna higher up which usually improves reception. I could run my 508's from about 65 feet out on the patio years ago with no problems.

easiest thing is to take a piece of coax cable and attach it to the UHF antenna output and extend the antenna higher. I did that with my old 5000 receiver and I could change the channel outside :)
Seems to work. I attached a 5' coax that I found in one of many junk boxes, can't throw anything away, found a male-male adapter and 15-minutes later - - all done.

This morning, switching channels from the breakfast table was as if I was in front of the main TV. Didn't try the outside trick, it was 10F this morning. That was a lot cheaper and faster than buying a souped-up remote. :)

Thanks

It’s also possible to attach additional antennas. I have a TV in an outbuilding about 100’ from the receiver. A remote antenna there connects to a coax that runs back to the house where it combines with the one near the receiver via a “splitter/combiner” (i.e., a splitter wired in reverse). The RF remote in the outbuilding controls the receiver just fine.

remote doesn't work from far away

They just installed my Dish Network HD DVR receiver - the antenna for the remote for the other tv (not an HD and in the bedroom) is on a 5' coaxial cable and is mounted way above the reciever and HDtv - almost at the ceiling. The 2nd tv is down the hall - about 50' away but the remote for the 2nd tv will not work from anywhere in the house - except for about 10' in front of the antenna. Apparently, the signal cannot go through walls? Is there anythig I can do?:mad:

Unless you have a source of interference in your house, this should work. Did they install a 622 or 722? If so, you probably have a 6.3 or 6.something remote. There's a little trick. Open the battery door and flip the switch on the left side from A to B. You'll need a pencil or something to get it. Then go to the SYS INFO screen on your receiver and press record until the remote address for TV2 says UHF Pro Band B. Band B seems to be stronger and less interfered with than band A. Trust me.

Unless you have a source of interference in your house, this should work. Did they install a 622 or 722? If so, you probably have a 6.3 or 6.something remote. There's a little trick. Open the battery door and flip the switch on the left side from A to B. You'll need a pencil or something to get it. Then go to the SYS INFO screen on your receiver and press record until the remote address for TV2 says UHF Pro Band B. Band B seems to be stronger and less interfered with than band A. Trust me.
That trick worked for me, too.
Thanks

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)