BEV 9242 Upgrade & SW44 Connections

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

OnlineLC

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Mar 17, 2006
Nashville
Please excuse the question if it has been answered on another thread, but after a search of past posts I have more questions than answers.

I have had an old 4700 on BEV for the last 9 years and decided to upgrade to the 9242 and ordered it the other day.

I will be ripping out the old 18 inch dish and installing the new one and retiring the 4700. The 9242 will be the only BEV receiver connected to the dish.

Here is my question, will I need to connect all 4 LNBF coax outputs to the SW44? I suspect the answer is yes as the 9242 has two inputs when it operates in dual tuner mode. I believe this is correct but I am not 100% sure.

I am currently planning where to place the SW44 and the number of coax connections does influence my choice a little.

You will need to connect all 4 LNBF coax outputs to the SW44 (2 for 82W, & 2 for 91W).
You will also need to use two of the four output feeds from the SW44, one for each tuner on the 9242.

This receiver is suberb overall. You will enjoy it for sure.

JB47

Thanks a lot. I thought that was the case but wanted to make sure. I will probably place the dish in a different location to my current one so I can mount the SW44 outside in a location where it will be sheltered from the rain etc.

You are very welcome, glad to have helped.

Not that you need to do this but another option is to use a DPP44 switch, and use either DP or DPP twins feeding the switch. You would only need one line from each DP/DPP LNB to the DPP44 switch and one line to your 9242. At the 9242 you would use a DPP seperator to give you your two feeds (one for each tuner). Bell does not officialy support DP equipment, but I doubt the ability to use DPP equipment would ever be taken away.

I am using this setup with my 9242 and also have two other feeds to a 6141 and a 5900.

Cheers!

JB47

All the equipment arrived and I set about installing the new dish and receiver.

I had no problems aligning the dish, but one section of the instructions caused me quite a bit of grief. The manual told me to connect one of the 91 LNB's directly to input #1 of the receiver to align. I did this with Transponder 11 but when completed, the receiver wanted nothing to do with downloading the software as suggested.

It sat there for an hour. At this point, I decided to connect all the LNB's to the SW44 and connected the two outputs to the receiver. I then completed a switch check. The receiver was then happy to start downloading all the software. I did a check of all transponders on both 91 and 82 and all had signals of 65 or better. I am not too sure if the manual is out of date or wrong or if I did something wrong myself,

I have not activated it yet, but I did notice that not all Channels are there on the guide. I can receive the channels that BEV put out for info and I can see lots of channels on the guide that will not work until activation but there are some obvious gaps. For instance I do not see any of the Canadian CBC/CTV Channels in the 200-220 range. Is this normal prior to activation?

I know the setup is probably OK as I have fed one of the SW44 outputs to my "soon to be retired " 4700 and after a switch check, it pulled in all the channels I am used to seeing.

Last edited:
I'm very interested in your setup as I'm considering going with BEV. My big concern is that when Nimiq4 launches in Sept/Oct, to replace the current two birds at 82W, that we're going to have problems in the mid to lower US.

Folks at Digital Forum have indicated to me that the footprint of N4 at 82W is going to be more centered on Canada to reduce rain fade and reception issues for folks on the west coast than is the current birds at 82W.

If this is true not sure if you or I am going to be able to continue to pick up 82W from our locations (unless you're in Nashville, Canada :D )

Though it would be a bit of a disappointment, the loss of 82 would not be devastating for me. I usually watch TVO, Know TV and SCN along with the Canadian Discovery Channel. Most of their content is not HD anyway and I like the ability to be able to PVR them now. Now that I am hooked up and activated on the new 9242, I expect I will view some BEV HD but most of the stuff that I watch I can get via my Local Comcast Signal.

Of course I would have to wait and see what happens to the footprint and see what options might exist or be required at that time.