BIG 10 is BACK - A Deal Has Been Reached!

Listen in the end the power should be with the consumer is all I'm saying your simply paying for a service if the consumer has no say then don't charge them for the service.. But again all I'm saying is the consumer should have the right since their being charged all the other BS will be between the Tv Providers and Networks this is not that a complicated like they try to make it out to be..

I think most would agree. But being able to get out of a contract has dire consequences. In addition to what I posted, I really don't want the carrier to raise the rate everytime they add a channel. That would be a given if people could drop them if a channel is dropped. In fact I can see the low cost incentives to start a service go away. No one is going to give you any deals if you can drop them tomorrow. It's not even in the consumer's best interest to have a regulation that allows you to end a contract over losing a channel, or even some channels. There's a breaking point when a carrier is considered no longer really providing the service (see my posts about NLOS) but a court can decide that for more extreme cases. I think Dish probably did more than what might otherwise be required of them when AMC channels were dropped. It doesn't replace the AMC channels, but honestly it's enough for most anyone still in contract to get the more watched shows, then they can drop Dish if they still want when their contract ends.

Yeah I'm not disagreeing with anyone just saying the Consumer should be able to get out of their contract instead of paying for these guys to fight between one another.. Let them pay for it that not the Consumer.. They all will continue to do this at Our Cost until like I said their held accountable for their actions until then they will continue to do this at Our Cost.. Their not going to "Buy The Cow When They Get The Milk For Free".. But again I see everyone points on the matter and respect them.. :)

If you have the Americas Top 200 the BTN is included in your package, and yes we are in negotiations with BTN but its gonna work out we don"t want to pull a Directv and kill MTV right before the Season Finale of Jersey shore girls pregnant at 16 living with the moms of Beverly hills celebrating their super sweet 16..

Sorry Rant...

As for the Pac-12 Comcast has the sole rights to that just like the NFL Sunday Ticket the two Schools holding out UW and my boys the cougs at WSU.. before it can go live they have to have agreement from all schools

Carriage

The announcement of the Pac-12 Networks included agreements with Comcast, Time Warner Cable, Cox Communications, and Bright House Networks.

Now, that totally blows up that argument.... Go back in your hole.... Maybe you do, indeed, work for Dish, but you are not DIRT.

Carriage

The announcement of the Pac-12 Networks included agreements with Comcast, Time Warner Cable, Cox Communications, and Bright House Networks.

Now, that totally blows up that argument.... Go back in your hole.... Maybe you do, indeed, work for Dish, but you are not DIRT.

Correct me Bobby if I'm wrong but is this Pac-12 Network first year correct?? Don't know is why I'm asking. Hopefully the Pac-12 can get on most of the Tv Providers there some games I would like to see on there.. :)

Correct me Bobby if I'm wrong but is this Pac-12 Network first year correct?? Don't know is why I'm asking. Hopefully the Pac-12 can get on most of the Tv Providers there some games I would like to see on there.. :)

There are still negotiations going on with Direct and Dish. Direct is probably a lock, we'll see what happens with Dish....

Simple solution. Ad a Sports Package. Sort of like the 120+ package. Every current package has a price and you can ad the Sports Package for X $$$. The problem would be ESPN insisting that it be included in every package. Not sure how to get around the power of ESPN but maybe there is a way.

I for one never received anything from Dish, only found out about it from here. 16 year subscriber.

So you never received a roku or credits?I could have swore you said you did in another thread?

Cablevision dispute is over??? When did MSG get back on dish?

Cablevision is the parent company of IFC AMC WE and Sundance never said it was over either.

For you it might be a good deal but for me the fact that they did more than they did in the past does not make it a great offer.
All I know for sure is i no longer have accesses to programming I want so is a bad deal for me.

Fair enough.

Poke said:
But either way the provider will think about how they are doing things same goes on the network end the less people watching their network will hurt their ratings and hit them in the pocket book. Which in the end if they are loosing viewers they will have no choice but to make changes on their end like I said we pay their bills they don't have money trees.. They do this kind of stuff due to they know they have not gotten any real pressure to put a stop to it until they do they will continue to do so. But if states start holding them accountable for their actions then they will think twice about their practices.. Just my 2 cents.. :)

What you're saying is incorrect. If people can drop a provider the minute any network gets pulled it greatly impacts the provider. However, by the same token, the network benefits, because more people are likely to switch providers if they can do so without penalty, so it means they're likely to not lose as many eyeballs which means their ratings won't drop as much and they'll continue to rake in the ad money. Meanwhile, the longer it drags on, the provider is still losing subs and will ultimately likely cave to network demands. What does that mean? Higher prices for everyone in the long run. Not good.

As for consumers suffering, they don't have to if they don't want to. They can either pay the ETF or they can avoid contracts altogether by purchasing their own equipment. Acquiring new customers is really expensive for providers. They don't even become profitable until well into the contract commitment. Everyone would love to have their cake and eat it too, but it's not unreasonable for providers to want reassurances that they will at least break even on a new sub.

Teehar said:
So you never received a roku or credits?I could have swore you said you did in another thread?

I don't want to put words in his mouth, but I believe he meant notice from Dish (email or card by mail) telling him about the offers and to call in to get them.

So what about basketball season???

Charlie wont do anything this happens all the time and its the programming providers like Viacom not the channels itself who fight its the middle man taking the flour and the wheat and selling it to the farmer and the miller at a good profit..

I'm just having a little fun. Hopefully there is still time to reach and agreement without anybody losing access to their football games this weekend. ;)

I think most would agree. But being able to get out of a contract has dire consequences. In addition to what I posted, I really don't want the carrier to raise the rate everytime they add a channel. That would be a given if people could drop them if a channel is dropped. In fact I can see the low cost incentives to start a service go away. No one is going to give you any deals if you can drop them tomorrow. It's not even in the consumer's best interest to have a regulation that allows you to end a contract over losing a channel, or even some channels. There's a breaking point when a carrier is considered no longer really providing the service (see my posts about NLOS) but a court can decide that for more extreme cases. I think Dish probably did more than what might otherwise be required of them when AMC channels were dropped. It doesn't replace the AMC channels, but honestly it's enough for most anyone still in contract to get the more watched shows, then they can drop Dish if they still want when their contract ends.

I don't think your argument holds up here. Cable doesn't require contracts in most areas. They still don't raise rates every time they add a channel and they seem to do ok. I could get a HD DVRs tomorrow with Charter and decide I want to cancel next month with no ETF and they are by far the most popular TV provider in my area.

I prefer Dish and Direct due to better equipment and more channels but cable is very competitive in price. I switch providers every 3 or 4 years to take advantage of promos. Before my most recent Dish contract I had a Charter Digital HD DVR cable promo for a year for $10 a month more than I was already paying them for broadband alone. Anyways, My point is that contracts aren't necessary for low prices. Your point that no one will give you a low price if you can drop them tomorrow isn't true. Cable has been doing this for years.

I don't mind signing a contract to cover the costs of installation and better equipment. There is no reason we should be forced to hold our end of the contract no matter what though and they can change the terms on their end for basically anything they want at any point. That is not a fair contract. Bottom line, if they change the deal by removing channels we signed up for we should be able to switch free of cost. They can keep their contracts and hold us to them as long as they provide what we signed up for. As soon as that changes the contract should be nullified in my opinion.

I don't think your argument holds up here. Cable doesn't require contracts in most areas. They still don't raise rates every time they add a channel and they seem to do ok. I could get a HD DVRs tomorrow with Charter and decide I want to cancel next month with no ETF and they are by far the most popular TV provider in my area.

I prefer Dish and Direct due to better equipment and more channels but cable is very competitive in price. I switch providers every 3 or 4 years to take advantage of promos. Before my most recent Dish contract I had a Charter Digital HD DVR cable promo for a year for $10 a month more than I was already paying them for broadband alone. Anyways, My point is that contracts aren't necessary for low prices. Your point that no one will give you a low price if you can drop them tomorrow isn't true. Cable has been doing this for years.

I don't mind signing a contract to cover the costs of installation and better equipment. There is no reason we should be forced to hold our end of the contract no matter what though and they can change the terms on their end for basically anything they want at any point. That is not a fair contract. Bottom line, if they change the deal by removing channels we signed up for we should be able to switch free of cost. They can keep their contracts and hold us to them as long as they provide what we signed up for. As soon as that changes the contract should be nullified in my opinion.

Cable is giving you 20 yr old equipment in most cases. Dish/Directv are having to foot the costs of installing dish/lnb and cable. For the most part cable is just rolling someone to the corner hub and connecting you to the network and as more of the cable companies go digital, they can just authorize or deauthorize your line as needed without rolling a truck. A lot of the cable companies are starting to ask for contracts in order to get discounts or upgrade to the latest whole home dvrs too.

If Dish/Directv went back to making people buy their equipment, then people wouldn't have to worry about contracts. Dish/Directv have to deal with having their equipment spread out over the entire nation. These contracts came about when everyone started wanting the latest and greatest equipment for free. What Dish/Directv does, is no different than the cell phone companies. If you don't want to be burdened by a contract and the small print that comes with it, then buy your equipment and you can come and go as you please. A consequence of signing a contract and getting free or discounted equipment is you will be running the risks of losing a channel(s) to a dispute and being used as leverage by one side or the other.

Installation costs for cable are much much less than what Dish and Direct face. As for your last paragraph, the contract people sign explicitly states that programming is subject to change. So people are agreeing to this. Bottom line, if you don't like the terms (which are there for you to read before signing), don't sign, pay your hardware from a retailer and avoid any potential ETF issues.

Doing this crap on the weekend that college football starts is disrespectful to the customer. Dish is starting to remind me of the Kids in the Hall skit where the head of the company fired everyone including himself to protect the bottom line.

LASooner said:
Doing this crap on the weekend that college football starts is disrespectful to the customer. Dish is starting to remind me of the Kids in the Hall skit where the head of the company fired everyone including himself to protect the bottom line.

Don't you think dish would prefer that the contract not expire at the start of college football season? The reality is that the networked launched at the start of a football season X number of years ago. Dish signed up for the network (and week later) for X number of years. The contract time has passed and here we are at the start of another season with a new deal needing to be made. This is not Dish trying to stick it to the customer. In fact, they'd be in a much better bargaining position if BTN couldn't hold college football over their heads like they are now.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

ho, ho, ho! who consider that the people of BTN are saints and dish is the devil? for me, dish and btn, including AMC, all can go to hell 'cause they're all devils fighting a la supernatural! none of them are thinking about the humans that are paying their miserable salaries! i better stand back and let them fight until one of them are forced to serve as the slave! at the end, all of the subs are their slaves!

Cable is giving you 20 yr old equipment in most cases.
Maybe in Oklahoma. But, not in any of the places I've lived. Sure, in most cases, their stuff isn't as advanced or feature-rich. But, it is by no means 20 years behind. They have whole-home HD-DVR's just like Dish and DirecTV. And, had them before Dish did.

Cable is giving you 20 yr old equipment in most cases. Dish/Directv are having to foot the costs of installing dish/lnb and cable. For the most part cable is just rolling someone to the corner hub and connecting you to the network and as more of the cable companies go digital, they can just authorize or deauthorize your line as needed without rolling a truck. A lot of the cable companies are starting to ask for contracts in order to get discounts or upgrade to the latest whole home dvrs too.

If Dish/Directv went back to making people buy their equipment, then people wouldn't have to worry about contracts. Dish/Directv have to deal with having their equipment spread out over the entire nation. These contracts came about when everyone started wanting the latest and greatest equipment for free. What Dish/Directv does, is no different than the cell phone companies. If you don't want to be burdened by a contract and the small print that comes with it, then buy your equipment and you can come and go as you please. A consequence of signing a contract and getting free or discounted equipment is you will be running the risks of losing a channel(s) to a dispute and being used as leverage by one side or the other.

I understand the reasons for contracts in the satellite industry. I even said I am fine with them as long as they hold up their end too. The point of my post was to argue two of Tampa's points in his post. He said if we were allowed to cancel when Dish dropped channels Dish would start raising our prices every time they add a channel. He also said we would lose promotional pricing if we were allowed to break our contract after channel removals. I used cable as an example to show that neither of these points are true. In most cases Cable doesn't have contracts, they don't change the monthly billing every time they remove a channel, and they still offer promo pricing. That means the market that doesn't require contracts doesn't agree with his points.

I don't agree with is the fact that they can change basically anything they want mid-contract, from our monthly price to which channels we receive, but we aren't allowed to leave after channels are pulled. I didn't say we should do away with contracts or that people should be able to cancel them anytime they want to. I just think that channel removals are enough of a change from what we originally signed up for that we should have the option to switch within a reasonable time frame of a channel removal if we want to without penalty.

GaryPen said:
Maybe in Oklahoma. But, not in any of the places I've lived. Sure, in most cases, their stuff isn't as advanced or feature-rich. But, it is by no means 20 years behind. They have whole-home HD-DVR's just like Dish and DirecTV. And, had them before Dish did.

You should have read my whole post. I said they have whole home dvrs, also said they are starting to ask for contracts to get them too. I exaggerated a bit. They're around 10 years old circa 2002-2003 pieces of crap from Motorola and SA (Cisco). Dish 501's were/are more advanced. You get a whole 30hrs of HD recording time and they've been nice enough to disable the 30sec skip and you can't even re-enable it with the factory shortcuts.

Now, you can get the Cisco whole home dvrs, but they're buggy as he!!. If you think Dish's Hopper ads are misleading, you should try Cox's. " you can record 16 things at once and watch them on any TV in the house". Then down in the fine print it says requires whole home dvr and 6 clients in other rooms, otherwise you can only record 2 things. I've traveled all over the US and other than the software that's loaded on the boxes, I see the same crappy boxes everywhere I go.

Sent from my Toshiba Thrive using SatelliteGuys

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)