BIG 10 is BACK - A Deal Has Been Reached!

king3pj said:
I understand the reasons for contracts in the satellite industry. I even said I am fine with them as long as they hold up their end too. The point of my post was to argue two of Tampa's points in his post. He said if we were allowed to cancel when Dish dropped channels Dish would start raising our prices every time they add a channel. He also said we would lose promotional pricing if we were allowed to break our contract after channel removals. I used cable as an example to show that neither of these points are true. In most cases Cable doesn't have contracts, they don't change the monthly billing every time they remove a channel, and they still offer promo pricing. That means the market that doesn't require contracts doesn't agree with his points.

I don't agree with is the fact that they can change basically anything they want mid-contract but we aren't allowed to leave after channels are pulled. I didn't say we should do away with contracts or that people should be able to cancel them anytime they want to. I just think that channel removals are enough of a change from what we originally signed up for that we should have the option to switch within a reasonable time frame of a channel removal if we want to without penalty.

Sorry about that. I shouldn't reply while I'm sitting at my desk on hold. It gets me riled up after a while.

I still don't agree with being able to get out contracts over loss of channels. You are signing up to have satellite service delivered to your home. The content of that service is subject to change. People don't complain when channels are added or change packages. Perhaps Dish should not authorize any new channels on a subscribers package until their contract is finished and only add channels if one is dropped.

Sent from my Toshiba Thrive using SatelliteGuys

Doing this crap on the weekend that college football starts is disrespectful to the customer. Dish is starting to remind me of the Kids in the Hall skit where the head of the company fired everyone including himself to protect the bottom line.
Wow. Think for a second why the contract is ending at this point in the year. I'll wait.

You should have read my whole post. I said they have whole home dvrs, also said they are starting to ask for contracts to get them too. I exaggerated a bit. They're around 10 years old circa 2002-2003 pieces of crap from Motorola and SA (Cisco). Dish 501's were/are more advanced. You get a whole 30hrs of HD recording time and they've been nice enough to disable the 30sec skip and you can't even re-enable it with the factory shortcuts.
I've had Comcast's Motorola DVR's. And, while not as sophisticated as a 722k, they were certainly more advanced than a 501, which I have also owned. So, I would have to say your entire comparison is a bit exaggerated.

I've had Comcast's Motorola DVR's. And, while not as sophisticated as a 722k, they were certainly more advanced than a 501, which I have also owned. So, I would have to say your entire comparison is a bit exaggerated.

I wouldn't. I have had both and my post stands. The Moto's are worthless for anything other than changing channels. The I guide software is the worst part. The box would be ok if it had some decent software.

I wouldn't. I have had both and my post stands. The Moto's are worthless for anything other than changing channels. The I guide software is the worst part. The box would be ok if it had some decent software.
The best equipment in the is no good without the programming .
(disclaimer, I am no way implying dish has the best equipment :D)

Here is what the Big Ten Network put on their facebook page earler today. If they are going to stir the pot I wish they would just go all in and state what they want and what they are getting offered and what the current terms are. Lets find out where the disconnect really is.

Some Dish Network history: In the last 22 months, Dish has dropped AMC, MSG and SNY. That means no Mad Men, Breaking Bad, Knicks, Mets, Rangers, Devils, Islanders, Sabres or Red Bulls for their subscribers. BTN COULD BE NEXT. Dish may drop BTN before Saturday’s football games. If you do not want Dish to drop BTN, learn more at www.IWantBTN.com and let them know at www.facebook.com/dis?h.?

The best equipment in the is no good without the programming .
(disclaimer, I am no way implying dish has the best equipment :D)

True
My opinions some may agree, most more than likely won't.

Dish has the programming and equipment I like. Cox has the programming, their equipment prices are too high and the aforementioned equipment is, lets just say undesirable and leave it at that. Uverse, I won't even go there and Directv I am on the fence at the moment. Directv like Dish has its pros and cons.

Here is what the Big Ten Network put on their facebook page earler today. If they are going to stir the pot I wish they would just go all in and state what they want and what they are getting offered and what the current terms are. Lets find out where the disconnect really is.

Just another fear campaign, to get people riled up before anything has even happened

OK, I'll bite.

Because that's when the channel came online, and when Dish negotiated terms with BTN
Yeah, and he goes and blames Dish for the channel starting up at the time of year it did. Doh!

I think the channel disputes bother me more because of the backlash it causes and all the overeacting than the channel actually being gone. This crap gets old. It's a business and that's how they handle it.

But it is the "its business" that takes it public. One of the parys involved make sit public bringing on the backlash. It could all be really reduced if tehy keep the negotiations behind closed doors like GOOD business does.

I think the channel disputes bother me more because of the backlash it causes and all the overeacting than the channel actually being gone. This crap gets old. It's a business and that's how they handle it.

and it will same people that bitch about dish not giving in to these outrageous price increases will be the same exact ones ones who will complain the most when dish announces their price increases for feb.

and it will same people that bitch about dish not giving in to these outrageous price increases will be the same exact ones ones who will complain the most when dish announces their price increases for feb.

Won't they raise prices come Feb no matter what? Maybe they will raise prices enough to cover two years and then put on a freeze right? My point is they will raise anyway. So if AMC is back or gone they will raise them. Same with BTN.

Gobucks said:
Won't they raise prices come Feb no matter what? Maybe they will raise prices enough to cover two years and then put on a freeze right? My point is they will raise anyway. So if AMC is back or gone they will raise them. Same with BTN.

There's raising rates and there's RAISING rates. There's a big difference between a $2-3 increase and a $10 increase

Edit to add: those numbers are not based on any information related to potential price increase amounts with or without certain channels. They were chosen just to illustrate my point.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Don't you think dish would prefer that the contract not expire at the start of college football season? The reality is that the networked launched at the start of a football season X number of years ago. Dish signed up for the network (and week later) for X number of years. The contract time has passed and here we are at the start of another season with a new deal needing to be made. This is not Dish trying to stick it to the customer. In fact, they'd be in a much better bargaining position if BTN couldn't hold college football over their heads like they are now.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

You don't start negotiating contracts the day it expires. This should have been done and over with by now.

And that week of BTN that we missed, was the week Appalachian State beat #4 Michigan. So at least we didn't miss anything important.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts