Big Bad Dawgs

Status
Not open for further replies.

TenaGoble

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Got back to my place this evening from visiting relatives for Thanksgiving, turned on the TV to the local cable access channel to see if I missed anything in the few days I was gone.

This is the weirdest warning I've ever heard of...

Turns out in my town, there is a gang or pack of wild dogs running around town and the police department releases a safety warning for the community to watch out for the dogs & not to approach them.

The description of the gang-pack is described as 6-8 dogs, large in size and if spotted, call the local police.

What does anybody think?

Not surprising given the amount of foreclosures and abandoned pets that have also went through the roof. Where I live at we've seen a dramatic upsurge in the amount of cats dropped off in the area and all of the shelters here in north Georgia have been above capacity for the last year or so. When I lived and worked in the Detroit area there was an issue with dog packs roaming over in the River Rouge area and the police and animal control were working to kill of the dogs after they had atacked someone.

If the warning specifically mentioned packs of "WILD" dogs, then I would doubt that foreclosures or abandoned pets are the cause. If they would have said packs of "STRAY" dogs; then maybe. Abandoned pets would always be the more likely regardless of foreclosures or not.

Abandonded strays will turn ferrel within a matter of weeks, heck pigs that have gotten out of the pen and into the woods start showing physical changes within a few days time and look like wild boars in a month or so. Dogs and cats change drasticly to ferrel after a while usually from being chased by other dogs yards that they stray into to get food and being chased off by people. Going from domesticated to abandonded and having to fend for your survival turns any animal including man back to their more basic instincs of survival.

Dogs in general, even domesticated ones who will still come home at night and be loyal to their people when in packs will do things they would not normally do. It's all part of their instinctual behavior. The don't even have to be abandoned. Animals, no matter how much we trust that they are domesticated are still animals. That's something people shouldn't forget, they run more on instinct than we think.

Update as of today...

The place where I do Physical Therapy 26 miles away from where I live heard about it also...

A deer got killed by this pack of wild dogs...

Wonder if Wal-Mart carries the big cans of mace? :rolleyes:

Update as of today...

The place where I do Physical Therapy 26 miles away from where I live heard about it also...

A deer got killed by this pack of wild dogs...

Wonder if Wal-Mart carries the big cans of mace? :rolleyes:

Just as likely to get mauled by a pack of wild animals in Walmart, these days.

Had that situation when I was in the Air Force. Large numbers of married airmen being deployed overseas would simply turn out their dog. They ended up with a pack of a dozen or so that ended up killing many family pets and eventually a toddler. They had the security police go into base housing and mount a feral dog hunt.

Very similar to the foreclosure scenario.

I stand corrected; I would have not though that possible for someone's 2, 4, 6 year household pet to be outed and "turn wild".

And it just gets weirder...

At the same time on the Floyd-Knott County KY line, (I'm in Floyd), there is a bunch of goats causing a bit of a ruckus on Route 80, 3-4 traffic lanes!

Nobody has claimed ownership of the goats and they've been tricky to catch.

I can't imagine my pup getting loose. I guarantee he wouldn't hurt a fly.

Attachments

• Picture 072.jpg
    Picture 072.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 110
  • Picture 026.jpg
    Picture 026.jpg
    195.4 KB · Views: 119
Another update...

They haven't caught the goats yet...

And that deer that those dogs got caught killing... well according to the authorities and gossip from locals, it weighed in at 200-250 pounds.

If it's true about the deer's weight, it must have been pretty old age wise. Don't know about how many "points" it had.

Had that situation when I was in the Air Force. Large numbers of married airmen being deployed overseas would simply turn out their dog. They ended up with a pack of a dozen or so that ended up killing many family pets and eventually a toddler. They had the security police go into base housing and mount a feral dog hunt.

Very similar to the foreclosure scenario.

Same here. I was stationed at Holloman AFB NM in the Late 80's. Lots of desert, lots of dogs and even cats turned out in the desert when families got reassigned or retired. Turned out to be a big pack of them. They ended up haveing to track them down and kill them. You were allowed to hunt parts of the range, and you had to watch out for them. They were also trying to bring down some of the wild Mustangs that roam the White sands Missle Range. Pretty wild.

Foreclosures are hitting farms of all sizes to though I would asume that the hobby farms are taking a bigger hit. I think it was on here that someone put a thread up about donkey's showing up in a Tennessee town not to long ago. I dont know how many times peacocks would show up running around in two area's where I used to live.

Almost forgot, National Geographic did an hour show about hogzilla and how he isnt the biggest one killed ( I posted that thread a few months back ) and part of the story was about how quickly a pig becomes feral once it gets out of captivity.

Status
Not open for further replies.