Big big problems with software update.

drummer

Original poster
Nov 23, 2004
This morning about 6:00 am (11-23-04) I notice my VOOM STB blinking. I figure it's downloading the newest software 7.26. So I flip on the TV and sure enough it is. About 45 minutes later it finishes and restarts itself. It comes up with a blank screen with just the info panel open at the bottom but there is no info. I try changing channels directly and via the program guide but no good still a blank screen. I try power cycle and no joy. So I pull the plug (actually flip the switch on the UPS) and power back up. The VOOM welcome screen pops up and a minute or so later the screen goes completely black. I also distribute the signal via RF to the rest of the house. Those TVs are now snow. The box appears quit dead. I called VOOM and spoke with one of there CSRs and they are sending someone here on Friday to take a look. Anyone have any ideas on how to breathe life back into this box? By the way I've been with VOOM about six months and nothing has changed in my setup.

My bedroom receiver was black too after the reboot. All's I had to do was a soft reboot by holding the power button in for a few seconds. Then I hit the power button on the remote & it fired right up. It allso started with the last channel it was on insted of Ch.100. So far so good with the update & caller ID.

drummer said:
This morning about 6:00 am (11-23-04) I notice my VOOM STB blinking. I figure it's downloading the newest software 7.26. So I flip on the TV and sure enough it is. About 45 minutes later it finishes and restarts itself. It comes up with a blank screen with just the info panel open at the bottom but there is no info. I try changing channels directly and via the program guide but no good still a blank screen. I try power cycle and no joy. So I pull the plug (actually flip the switch on the UPS) and power back up. The VOOM welcome screen pops up and a minute or so later the screen goes completely black. I also distribute the signal via RF to the rest of the house. Those TVs are now snow. The box appears quit dead. I called VOOM and spoke with one of there CSRs and they are sending someone here on Friday to take a look. Anyone have any ideas on how to breathe life back into this box? By the way I've been with VOOM about six months and nothing has changed in my setup.
Welcome to the forum, drummer!

Try hard reboot (power cycle) once again. Give it a minute or two. If it comes back to life, switch it to channel 100 and leave it alone for 10-20 minutes. If this doesn't help, you might have to replace the box...

Drummer, lrasta69,

I talked to VOOM engineers about your problem. They would be very interested to have a look at these boxes that haven't survived the update (so far they haven't seen any).

So, if your STB is completely dead after the 7.26 update, please send your customer number (and/or home phone number) to me, or to another Forum Staff member via PM or email and we will forward it to the engineering team, so they could track it down and perhaps expedite your box replacement.

Ilya.

Ilya,
I'll forward you my info you request via email. I've tried a few more power cycles but no go.

drummer said:
Ilya,
I'll forward you my info you request via email. I've tried a few more power cycles but no go.
Ok. I passed it on. Let me know what happens.

same problem after update..box dead !!!!!

not out for 2 days after update and no help at all Hard or soft reboots.
cannot even get anyone scheduled to come out yet, now voom cs software to schedule is down, very frustrating. :mad: I sent PM with personal info.

so far not impressed with Voom outages, rain fade issues. been ignored about larger dish, since i live in Florida. having to reset box constantly when switching channels due to lockups. guess that not a prob now it's dead.

Mike

Had enough of this !!!!!!!

Thanks .. I'll be cancelling by end of today. I have made 3 calls to try to get this resolved and the CS rep cannot even get into my account to schedule a new box. I have been out since early 11/23 and no one is attempting to even get out here, or for that matter give me a date. Ive sent 2 emails to Voom and 3 calls. the 4 th will be to cancel. this is ridiculous they damage my box with an update and now I'm in limbo indefinitely !!!! :mad: :mad: :mad:

mjerald, very sorry about your problems. I have forwarded all your PM's (including the one you've sent to me an hour or two ago) to VOOM engineers. I've also sent a copy to Wilt. Hope, this will get things moving.

They are looking into this problem, but unfortunately it sounds like your box will have to be replaced. I was told that out of tens of thousand STBs updated to 7.26 by now just a few haven't survived the update. I guess, you are among those unlucky few. Again, sorry about your problems, and I'll do what I can to help you.

Ilya.

I wanted to tell everyone thanks for there help on this. I did cancel my service with VOOM. I called Brighthouse cable late late tuesday about 7:45 PM and they were able to hook me up Wednesday morning. They gave me an incredible deal because I said I was coming from Satellite. They gave me ALL the movie channels (including HBO HD & Show HD), INHD 1&2, HDNET 1 & 2, HD DVR all for about $35 plus tax. After six months I lose the free movie channels but price stays at $35. After another six months my price may go up. If it does I will revisit VOOM. Hopefully they get things cleanup up. I really did enjoy their service and the wife and I will miss Equator channel but INHD and HDNET will make up for it. I'll also miss the UPN HD for Enterprise since Briighthouse doesn't yet carry this network in HD. Good luck VOOM.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts