Big problem with V726 Update: Disable Parental Locking before the update!

guinness

Original poster
Jun 6, 2004
I recieved the 726 update night before last and now my box will not take my PIN # to get into system settings, called Voom last night and they said they are aware of this issue for some customers and they do not yet have a fix! Anyone else not able to get into settings due to the box not accepting you 4 digit pin? Also have not had a program update in 2 days! Tired ouf this sh**!

Guinness

Edit just read that member johnpete having the same issue.

As I replied in the other thread: call Customer Service and ask them to reset the PIN code. I believe they have a standard procedure for that, in case someone forgets the password. (I know, you haven't forgotten it, but I think the same PIN reset procedure may work in your case!)

We need more details regarding this problem. Why couldn't the call center reset the pin#? Is it correct to assume that after you've got upgraded, the pin # did not work anymore?

What did the call center do that did not work? Any details will be appreciated...

Its NOT because I have forgotten it. They tried 20 times last night to reset my PIN as I was very HOT! I reset soft and hard my box 20 times and they kept hitting it with resets-- nothing. After several calls and going up the Voom ladder I spoke to a senior management director who tells me that this is consistent with everyone with this problem, sat pin reset does not work. He told me they are working on how to get into these boxes that went sideways due to the update.

Guinness

They also finnally told me that this has happened to "many" customers and they have no way into the box yet. We have another member Johnpete that sounds like he is having the same problem, trust me guys, I know my pin, this is absolutely a system issue/bug. Also no guide update since this issue.

Guinness

All it's needed is one person right now so that the problem can be tracked. So please send me the information.

Is there anyone here who had a PIN code set, but didn't have any problems with it after the update?

guiness,

got it. I am not going to be available for the next 4-5 hours and told them to communicate to either Ilya or yourself if they have more questions or want to try something to fix your box. Thanks for your prompt response.

Still have the problem

I called Voom again last night with no luck. They said they'd get back in 3 days.

Has anyone had the Voom box apart? There must be a hardware reset in there somewhere. If I die and nobody knows the PIN do they have to throw the box away? I don't think so.

John

johnpete said:
There must be a hardware reset in there somewhere. If I die and nobody knows the PIN do they have to throw the box away? I don't think so.
Please, don't die! ;)

Actually, they have a way of resetting the PIN remotely, but for some reason it doesn't work in 7.26.

I just got a reply from VOOM engineers about this problem. They are trying to figure out a solution to this. They will let us know as soon as it is found. If you haven't done that yet, you can send your info to me or to Sean via PM or email and we will pass it to VOOM engineers directly. Please include a brief description of the problem.

Update: No need to send additional info. They already have enough info to troubleshoot it. This is a top-priority task for Motorola, as I was told.

Illya, do you know if they've suspended the batch updates until this is fixed?

Yes, the updates have been suspended, but now I am hearing that the fix might be ready as early as tonight, so, for those having the problem: make sure to leave your boxes in standby (turned off, but plugged in) when you go to bed!

DarrellP said:
Does doing a factory reset work? Does that destroy the PIN?
It most likely does, but the problem is that when you have a PIN code set, you can't get to System Settings to initiate the factory reset...

VewDew said:
is it possible to remove the code entirely? I went through the menus tonight to see because I don't want to get into this mess in the future.
You mean, to return to the previous version? I don't think you can do this on your own, but VOOM can send an old version to you as they did recently.

Correction: I guess I mis-read your question initially. I thought you were talking about software code. But it looks like you are asking about PIN code! Ooops...

Yes, I believe you can do that, or simply remove all the locks. But there is really no need, since this will be fixed by the time you get updated...

Ok, just spent an hour on the phone with Voom and Motorola Tech's after multiple attempts they found the correct hit to send and I am back in my box with PIN 0000. I think they will be sending this down asap. What a mess.

Guinness

The latest update: The fix (for those with "stuck" PINs) is basically ready. However, most likely it will be pushed tomorrow, not tonight. At least this is how it stands as of this moment. Stay tuned...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)