Big Dish conversion to digital FTA

Status
Please reply by conversation.

FranO

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Mar 22, 2008
Newbie here, so please excuse my lack of knowledge. I need help! I just bought a CreativeWorks CW 600 Premium FTA receiver to update my C/KU band big dish from analog to digital. Question 1: I always used an A/B switch to go between C and KU as needed on my analog system. Can the CW-41 DiSEqC Switch I received replace that A/B switch (prior to connection the "LNB IN" jack on the new receiver) - does that switch automatically do what I used to do manually switching from "A" to "B"? Question 2: I intend to gradually work my dish from one end of the satellite arc to the other, scanning for satellites and stations. Do I do this by entering my antenna settings and doing a "blind scan" each time I move my antenna to new position? My directions manual doesn't help me at all, given my lack of experience with this "new" (to me) technology. I also need help in knowing what settings to use for my antenna - C vs. KU... Can anybody help me here? :confused:

Can the CW-41 DiSEqC Switch I received replace that A/B switch (prior to connection the "LNB IN" jack on the new receiver) - does that switch automatically do what I used to do manually switching from "A" to "B"?

Yes, the DiSEqC switch will do that for you.

Question 2: I intend to gradually work my dish from one end of the satellite arc to the other, scanning for satellites and stations. Do I do this by entering my antenna settings and doing a "blind scan" each time I move my antenna to new position?
You will need an actuator controller (V3000 GBox) to move your big dish. Your receiver will nt be able to do that without the GBox.

Sorry to bring bad news but i don't believe that CW600 has real blind scan, unless the later ones were upgraded. The 700 is supposed to have it. What the 600 did was just scan freq already stored in it. Somebody correct me if I'm off here, I was reading the review of that box just last week.

Thanks for helping me out. I have added the digital receiver to my existing (analog) big dish system, so I already have the ability to move my dish. I just don't understand the (digital) settings I'm supposed to use for my antenna (set-up menu)before I do a blind scan. Things like "LNB freq", "motorized system" ("USALS" or "DiSEqC1.2") need to be filled out. I assume they're different for KU vs. C-band, eh?

Yes sadly the CW600 doesn't have a blind scan. It "claims" it but doesn't do it :(

LNB freq for C-Band is 5150 and 10750 for KU

Thanks, Iceberg. I've been hitting a "blind scan" button at the bottom of the antenna set-up screen, and the system appears to be doing some kind of scan, but I haven't sen any results afterwards. There are three other "buttons" at the bottom of that same screen entitled "auto", "network" and "transponder". Should I be hitting one of them to scan for stations?

Things like "LNB freq"
c- band LO is 5150 and ku is 10750
i found it easiest to make 2 satellites for each position that has ku & c-band so you don't have to change the LO each time. so for example
99 degrees W = Galaxy 16 C-band LO=5150
99 degrees W = Galaxy 16 KU LO=10750
101 degrees W = AMC 4 C-band LO=5150
101 degrees W = AMC 4 KU LO=10750
103 degrees W = AMC 1 C-band LO=5150
103 degrees W = AMC 1 KU LO=10750

"motorized system" ("USALS" or "DiSEqC1.2")
the CW600 should have the motor set to "off" if you plan on moving the dish with a analog receiver. This is where the G-Box would shine because if FTA receiver your using is 1.2 complient it would control the G-Box and tell it to move the big dish ( without the analog receiver in the loops).

if your using a corotor type feedhorn you will have to control the polarity with the analog receiver.

does that switch automatically do what I used to do manually switching from "A" to "B"?
the CW600 would have to be set up to handle the switch usually lnb1 = c-band , lnb2 = ku
in the menu area diseqc set to 1.0 and correspond the setting below to 1 or 2

In my user manual, under "reference" it says ""Multi LNB Control by DiSEqC 1.0, 1.2, 1.3(USALS)." Does this mean that my FTA reveiver would be able to utilize a G-Box? If so, then I could basically get rid of my analog receiver? What about my existing "Antenna Positioner Power Supply" - would the G-box replace that also?

the g-box would take the place of the Antenna Positioner power supply

the analog receiver would still be needed to control the servo ( if one is involved) on the lnbf

I beleive the CW600 is able to control a g-box/ v-box but i don't know anyone who is using one right now. read further down first !!

for a more basic setup you can use the analog receiver and antenna positioner power supply to move the big dish and change the servo (polarity) and just slave in the CW600 ( this is the way most of us start out). and just order a switch kit to slave in your CW600
then you would move your dish with the analog receiver and scan with the CW600

if you analog system is already in place and working fine then just disconnect the c / ku coax form the a/b switch and connect it to the CW-41 DiSEqC switch use lnb1(a) = c-band , lnb2(b) = ku and set it up in the CW600 menu ( no coax would goto the analog receiver until / unless you got another splitter like in the kit listed above))

You might want to keep your analog receiver in the mix, as there are still analog signals up there (especially the feeds during college football season :) ) Here is a cabling diagram for adding a digital receiver to an existing analog setup: Add a receiver

Thanks to all for your help with this. I've been moving around the arc in "digital" and I've actually started picking up some signals. One more question: Since I'm not able to use a "blind scan" to search for stations, does that stop me from being able to catch various "feeds" that come and go - those that don't necessarily have a "home" transponder?

A blind scan-capable receiver is the best tool for finding occasional feeds. Many feeds do tend to stay on the same transponder, though. Unfortunately, due to the possibility of uplinkers encrypting, we do not discuss the specifics (TP frequency, SR, FEC, etc.) of any feeds on open forum.

One receiver which has real blind scan and capability of controlling your LNB polarity, is the Pansat 3500sd.
There are a very few others, too. That's probably the most modern one.

Not necessarily the best suggestion, but if you really wanted to abandon your analog receiver, the 3500 and a Vbox (or Gbox) would take care of all your problems.

Then, if you wanted to keep your toe in the water with analog for a while longer, you -could- slave your old receiver to the Pansat by hooking it to the loop out and letting the 3500 control everything...
Just another way to look at things.

Excellent suggestions all! People, I can see I came to the right place! ANOTHER question: On my old analog set-up I had to manually find all satellites, and load them into my GI receiver's memory. Do these new receivers with G-box set-up already know where the satellites are based on some sort of signal coming from them?

man we should have put that big Warning Sign up first :( now i can see its too late lol
your hooked.. :)

"Warning ... Warning ... Warning ... FTA is very addictive Warning ... Warning ... Warning"

oh well enjoy the digital :D

Ice maybe we need a disclamer & warning as a sticky :D

Oh, yeah! You guys are right about the addiction. I just can't believe it took me so long to find out about the digital FTA! My BUD hasn't seen this much action in a long time! :) Anyway, I'm trying to find out from the Captive Works people if what you guys are saying about the CW600S Premium NOT being able to do a blind scan is true. It has a Blind scan button to click on in the antenna menu, and it appears to be doing some sort of scan when I click on it, but I haven't seen any results as yet. If that turns out to be true, should I send my receiver back and trade it for the CW 700 model, or should I go with the Pansat 3500 that Anole was talking about earlier? I'm looking for the best one to hook up to my BUD to search for sports/news feeds, etc. Any suggestions? THANKS!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)