Big Dish shakes when it moves between satellites

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

uh-oh

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jan 9, 2005
Probably a stupid question, but I never noticed before that our Big Dish noticibly vibrates when moving from one satellite to another. It is a very lg white dish - not a mesh.

We have had it for 15 yrs and never noticed this shaking. Should we be concerned, and have someone check out before it breaks?

Thanks!

Gosh, thanks! I was afraid something was wrong. I'll go check it now.

OK, I just hiked up to satellite. All metal behind the dish is rusty. Is there a drawing/diagram of a big dish so I will know what the moving parts are that I need to grease/oil. Thanks

Do you have an oil can?
If it were me, I'd rotate the dish so that the mover arm is fully extended, then oil the exposed part. Rub oil all over the extended part so it has a nice coating. Most of it should get wiped off by the seals but at least it's better than being dry. Then I'd have someone in the house rotate the dish so it goes to the extreme the other way and watch where it pivots and shoot some oil in there as best you can. Later you can try to get some grease into main axis. But the oil should tell you a lot and certainly make things better. If the arm is rusty where it slides inside itself, you might need to replace it.
Try not to use WD40

Hope this helps

I use 90 weight gear oil. I found that the holes at the end of the arm were useless when it came to oiling, it just ran out on the ground. I drilled a hole in the arm in two places, one toward the top and the other about 1/2 way down. I take the 922 remote outside with me, fill the holes with oil and run in up and down a few times. This arm has lasted about 15 years, with is about 7 longer then the one I didn't do any maintenance on. I try to do this twice a year, spring and fall.

Diamond Jim said:
I use 90 weight gear oil. I found that the holes at the end of the arm were useless when it came to oiling, it just ran out on the ground. I drilled a hole in the arm in two places, one toward the top and the other about 1/2 way down. I take the 922 remote outside with me, fill the holes with oil and run in up and down a few times. This arm has lasted about 15 years, with is about 7 longer then the one I didn't do any maintenance on. I try to do this twice a year, spring and fall.
Jim;
Do you put a screw or a plug in the holes to keep the water out? I think that would be a must esp. in a wet climate.

BryanSR

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts