Big Problem...Code 775

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

RocketFoot

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 28, 2005
Southwestern PA
I am not even 1 week into the new DirecTV system and things got ugly! At install, the tech had issues getting the HR44 to communicate with the dish. He finally got it working but each day after the install, I would get a Code 775 Cabling alert and no picture. I was able to fix it each day by checking connections and power cycling the SWiM power inserter installed behind my HR44. But, last night, I was unable to do anything to get the picture back! I power cycled, checked connections at the receiver and at the cable union in the basement, RBR...you name it but nothing worked! DirecTV scheduled service for Saturday morning but that means no TV all last night, today and half of tomorrow. I know, 1st world problems but we pay good good money for this stuff, I think it should work as described! Sorry for the venting but I feel better now! LOL...

So does anyone know what is going on here? The biggest factor I can see is that fact that the installer patched into my existing cable that goes to the HR44. There is a union in the basement in the middle of the line going to the switch located outside. I'm thinking they need to run a solid line from the switch to the HR44.

A 775 code means the Genie is having issues communicating with the lnb. It could well be the patchwork cabling. Is your power inserter on a power strip? If so, plug it directly into the wall.

It was initially but I moved it to the wall plug after the first occurrence. What gets me is that it worked sometimes but got progressively worse? Maybe the inserter is bad or the patchwork cable has a short somewhere?

It could be a bad inserter, but I'm more suspicious of the cabling.

It could be a bad inserter, but I'm more suspicious of the cabling.

Chip,
The cure is to strip off a jumper long enough to run from the LNB to the receiver showing the error. Then connect the known-to-be-good jumper from the LNB to the receiver and then every fitting and component until the defect is found.
IF the error shows up with the jumper and the receiver the problem is the receiver or the LNB......then moving back, connecting to every fitting while making sure every fitting is cut and compressed correctly. The PI & Genie / client need to be tested (changed out).

If none of that discovers the defect it is then clear this customer sinned in a previous life. No amount of repair will help. The cable could have been cursed or manufactured on a Monday. Needless to say,some tech is going to pay for this!

Joe

That would be the best way to trouble shoot the cable Joe. If you look back at the original post, the installer reused cable that was already there. That's where I would start looking.

Last edited:
I hope it isn't my HR44 receiver! I was damn lucky to even get it! The installer claimed to only have HR34's on the truck when I asked for an HR44 but decided to look and found 1 in his stock!

That would be the best way to troubleshoot the cable Joe. If you look back at the original post, the installer reused cable that was already there. That's where I would start looking.

Yup,
I saw that. I have noticed that existing cable...unless damaged, can be considered known-to-be-good. Sometimes just moving old cable or will fittings will expose a defect, especially those exposed to water and freezing. New stuff is all suspect. You look for uncompressed fittings or incorrectly cut fittings. New cable with a defect is very rare but it happens.

The intermittent failure reported suggests something loose. OR a Mfg defect in some eq. So you go from testing all cable & fittings to looking at each component. Change them out one at a time until you find the failure. Sometimes you doin't find it....it fails later...and you look dumb.

Joe

I hope it isn't my HR44 receiver! I was damn lucky to even get it! The installer claimed to only have HR34's on the truck when I asked for an HR44 but decided to look and found 1 in his stock!

You are damn lucky the installer didn't drive off. They check their work orders against truck inventory every day. He probably did tell you he only had 34s because he didn't know or care that the 44 had been loaded. Or someone down the line had a 44 and managed to get an exact replacement. The last thing installers have to do is share their equipment inventory with anyone. Don't let your cat pee in his truck and you stay out too!

Joe

We are back in business! The installer came this morning and found the LNB was defective. He didn't like the patchwork cable either so he replaced it with one run from the switch to the DVR. Everything looks good now...hopefully no more 775 errors!

Status
Please reply by conversation.