Big Screen Dilema

Status
Not open for further replies.

djjsin

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jun 8, 2004
Hey guys, I Currently have a Mitsubishi WS-55511 Big screen TV. It has no DVI/HDMI ports which is really concerning me. I payd 2699 for it about a year ago

I have listed it to sell, and have recieved offers for $1600. I'm trying to decide if I want to get rid of it, and get a DLP system. I'm looking at the WD-62525 or the WD-62725.

Is it really worth it to lose the $1000 extra I paid for the TV, and upgrade to a DLP at this point in time? I'm concered that my TV will be obselete in 2 years when the HD DVD's come out, and part of me say's to get rid of it before that, cut my losses, and the other part of me say's to wait nad just buy a new one in a couple years. What do you guys think?

djjsin said:
Hey guys, I Currently have a Mitsubishi WS-55511 Big screen TV. It has no DVI/HDMI ports which is really concerning me. I payd 2699 for it about a year ago

I have listed it to sell, and have recieved offers for $1600. I'm trying to decide if I want to get rid of it, and get a DLP system. I'm looking at the WD-62525 or the WD-62725.

Is it really worth it to lose the $1000 extra I paid for the TV, and upgrade to a DLP at this point in time? I'm concered that my TV will be obselete in 2 years when the HD DVD's come out, and part of me say's to get rid of it before that, cut my losses, and the other part of me say's to wait nad just buy a new one in a couple years. What do you guys think?
You might hold off until more RPTV's come with the HD2+ chip. Projectors are just coming out with them and the new Marantz got rave reviews with the addition of this new chip. The contrast is much greater and the blacks are almost black. You should start seeing them soon.

$2600 seems like an awful lot for a 55" CRT RPTV a year ago. You can get a Sony 57" even a year ago for cheaper than that.

IMHO if you are going to now is the time to, because the longer you wait the less worth that TV will become.

You can watch HD via component cables and, for your CRT-based setup, your PQ will be pretty close to a DLP on DVI. Unless you are otherwise unhappy with the PQ on your set, I'd keep it until the DLP move on a couple of generations and start coming down in price. OTOH, Neutron is correct, your current set will never be worth more than it is right now.

ya I know the components will be around for a while, but I've been hearing rumors that when HDDVD comes out, they will limit the 1080i signals to only the DVI. They will have component also, but those signals will be limited to 480p (because it could be easily copied at High Definition). I've also heard rumors that Direct TV will start this practice also (thank god i'm a voom customer). I went out the other day to find a DVD player that upconverts to 1080i, and unless i'm stupid, I could not for the life of me find a model that did this through the component. Everyone i looked at required a DVI input for upconverting, and through component it only supports 480p (what sucks is that one model originally did 1080i through component, but then after a firmware upgrade, no longer did). So this practice imo seems to already be starting.

If this is true, and I cannot get a HD DVD player to send a 1080i signal to my WS-55511, I will be truely pissed off, and consider the TV to be obselete.

and what Neurton is saying is exactly why i wanted to get rid of it. It was 2699, it has a built in Tuner. Everywhere I looked, that was the going rate for them at the time, then 6 months later I could find the exacts same thing for 2199 :-T but what can ya do. I'm thinking, well sh*t, if this thing won't be able to do HD DVD, maybe I should get rid of it now, cut my losses, and just get a DLP that has the HDMI. But on the other hand, i agree Darrell also. Maybe buying DLP's right now is to soon. I could just keep this TV for about a nother year or 2, then when the HD DVD's come out just get a DLP then, and have a better screen then whats available now, but my TV would be worthless by that time.

God I hate these dilemma's

I wouldnt make the switch now.

Think about it. Youd be taking a big hit on your current TV and then if you buy the DLP that sucker will depreciate like a Kia ! You'd be hit twice.

No way is a DVI input worth that kind of $$$. A couple of years from now you'll see DLP's below $2k, with better PQ and lots more HD. Wait till then.

In regards to pricing, check this out: the first projector with a 2HD+ chip that will RETAIL for under $4,000, the RPTV's can't be too far away and they always cost less than the pj's: Link.

The New DLP Projectors

Given the aggressive competition from LCD in the low to moderate end of the price range, vendors with DLP-based products are getting more aggressive as well. Perhaps the most noteworthy of the new DLP projectors was the Sharp XV-Z2000. This is the first projector to feature an HD2+ 1280x720 DLP chip to be released with an official estimated selling price under $4,000 ($3,999 to be exact). It is rated at 1200 ANSI lumens and 2500:1 contrast. It is also much smaller than Sharp's more expensive home theater projectors, so this one has portability as a feature. The Z2000 is scheduled to ship in November.

We are anxious to get the Sharp Z2000 into the lab. For the question now is, just how good is it? If you can get HD2+ performance at $4,000, is there any point to paying $10,000 to $17,000 for the boutique high-end brands that feature the same DLP chip? Clearly the higher end brands will have some performance and connectivity advantages as well as some slick cosmetics. But the huge price gap between the various projectors that all feature the same HD2+ chip is looking very strange at this juncture.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)