Big Ten football championship game?

cybok0

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Oct 23, 2006
Sha Ka Ree.
Joe PA thinks so. He even thinks Pitt should join the Big Ten, IMO not a good idea for Pitt.

``We go into hiding for six weeks,’’ Paterno said of the time between the end of the regular season and the BCS bowls.

``Everybody else is playing playoffs on television. You never see a Big Ten team mentioned. So I think it’s a handicap.’’

Paterno wants Pitt in Big Ten - Bob Smizik's Blog - post-gazette.com

Bob forgot to quote the other part, or was too busy getting wrapped up in JoePa throwing Pitt a bone since he won't play them in a regular series, where JoePa admits no one in the Big Ten is listening to him.

[ame="http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=4118848"]Penn State coach Joe Paterno calls for Big Ten expansion - ESPN[/ame]

Asked what sort of response he had received, Paterno raised his eyebrows in a facial shrug.

"You know, it's a conference that's dominated by a couple of people," Paterno said. "If I start talking, they're polite, but they snicker.

"They don't know I know they're snickering, but they're polite. ...I wish I were younger and going to be around [another] 20 years."

Bob forgot to quote the other part, or was too busy getting wrapped up in JoePa throwing Pitt a bone since he won't play them in a regular series, where JoePa admits no one in the Big Ten is listening to him.

Penn State coach Joe Paterno calls for Big Ten expansion - ESPN

Never been of a fan of the Big Ten nor Penn State, but gotta love Paterno! :up
A younger Paterno would have told them to kiss his a$$...but he has gotten a little soft in his old age....GOD bless him!:cool:

If you scroll down the report the same thing you quoted is there. Maybe you should read the whole story before you blast someone.

My apologies. I did not see it there when I first read it.

Still, I think it is overblown. Paterno's press conference been put on a ton of CFB related sites and fans immediately jump to 18 different realignment scenarios before they get to the part where JoePa talks about how little his opinion appears to have on the Big Ten as a whole. Ohio St. and Michigan still run the show there and anything that messes with something that amounts to a) not playing OSU-Michigan every year or b) having only one of the two teams compete in a championship game each year is going to be passed off.

Paterno sees how PSU is a fish out of water, an eastern school in a midwestern conference. PSU has not been able to create any sort of real rivalry in the nearly 15+ years they've been there. They abandoned the rivalries they had w/Syracuse, Pitt and WV in the interest of making sure they have seven home games.

There's plenty of "he said, she said" when it comes to JoePa and many of the other schools that reside in the Big East (PSU getting denied membership, JoePa countering with an all-sports conference where PSU didn't have to share FB revenue equally with others, but expected to share revenues in other sports).

My apologies. I did not see it there when I first read it.

Still, I think it is overblown. Paterno's press conference been put on a ton of CFB related sites and fans immediately jump to 18 different realignment scenarios before they get to the part where JoePa talks about how little his opinion appears to have on the Big Ten as a whole. Ohio St. and Michigan still run the show there and anything that messes with something that amounts to a) not playing OSU-Michigan every year or b) having only one of the two teams compete in a championship game each year is going to be passed off.

Paterno sees how PSU is a fish out of water, an eastern school in a midwestern conference. PSU has not been able to create any sort of real rivalry in the nearly 15+ years they've been there. They abandoned the rivalries they had w/Syracuse, Pitt and WV in the interest of making sure they have seven home games.

There's plenty of "he said, she said" when it comes to JoePa and many of the other schools that reside in the Big East (PSU getting denied membership, JoePa countering with an all-sports conference where PSU didn't have to share FB revenue equally with others, but expected to share revenues in other sports).

I agree with you, IMO the worst thing Joe Pa, and I do blame him 100%, did was go into the Big Ten. He lost the Pitt/Penn State rivalry. He doesn't want a home at home series, he wants two out of three.

Pitt IMO is doing fine in the Big East, the football operations are going good and the BB program is one of the best in the country.

Joe PA can play Temple every year, sure he'll sell out his stadium along with his integrity.

One of the other things that JoePa also mentioned was how the Big Ten is essentially dormant after Thanksgiving. That is something the Big Ten has addressed though, allowing teams to move games post-Thanksgiving this year and the conference office will schedule after Thanksgiving starting next year.

One of the other things that JoePa also mentioned was how the Big Ten is essentially dormant after Thanksgiving. That is something the Big Ten has addressed though, allowing teams to move games post-Thanksgiving this year and the conference office will schedule after Thanksgiving starting next year.

The strangest thing is that Big Ten fans moan and bitch about these long layoffs when bowls come around...and its their own conferences fault they have the layoffs in the 1st place.:confused:

They need to come around and be like the other big boys.

Of course it doesn't matter, we know who will be national champs this season and you heard it here first :) I think there is a good chance a very good chance it will even be an undefeated season for said team.

Of course it doesn't matter, we know who will be national champs this season and you heard it here first :) I think there is a good chance a very good chance it will even be an undefeated season for said team.
Hope a link to this post is available next January (or even earlier in the season). There may be quite a few of us who will want to serve it to you a la crow. ;)

Both the Big Ten and the Pac-10 would simply the BCS and make it closer to a "True Playoff" if they both expanded to 12 teams and hosted a conference championship game...but as mentioned Ohio St. and Michigan run the Big Ten and anything that screws up their game getting a top billing as the defacto championship won't fly past them. Also factor in that the Big Ten Network gives the conference tons of sponsorship dollars without a conference championship game.
With a new commish coming into the Pac-10 and the conference looking for new revenue sources and exposure, plus growing anti-USC sentiment, might join the 21st century and expand to host a conference championship game.

Pitt brings nothing to the table relative to the Big 10. Pitt is probably the 3rd most popular team in its own home town, after Penn State and Notre Dame.

If the Big 10 adds a school it will add a school that il likewise an AAU member from a new and different market it does not already control. If UND turns it down, then maybe Missouri.

What a limb your going out on :rolleyes:

I dont have a major problem with the big ten without a playoff. I would though like another team to even it out. Notre Dame gets brought up every now and then, but that never goes to far.

I dont have a major problem with the big ten without a playoff. I would though like another team to even it out. Notre Dame gets brought up every now and then, but that never goes to far.

Because Notre Dame does not believe THEY should honor ANYONE with their football presence! :rolleyes: I mean really, they play in the Big East for ALL sports BUT FOOTBALL??!! WHY??!! Because of dumb a$$ NBC!! I bet that if Notre Dame did NOT have that exclusive contract with NBC, they would have played in SOME conference SOMEWHERE.

ND is out there, but they still lack the AAU membership that the Big Ten seems to require.

Pitt, Syracuse, Rutgers, Missouri, Nebraska, Iowa St. - they all have the AAU designation.

You know, the Big Ten already has a 12th member on the academic side in the University of Chicago, a former sports member of the conference. They dropped out in the 40s but maintained an academic relationship with the other schools. Supposedly there's some sort of agreement between the conference and the university where if UC ever decided to move back up to Division I, they would immediately have a home in the Big Ten. The likelihood of this happening? Very small.

ND is out there, but they still lack the AAU membership that the Big Ten seems to require.

Pitt, Syracuse, Rutgers, Missouri, Nebraska, Iowa St. - they all have the AAU designation.

You know, the Big Ten already has a 12th member on the academic side in the University of Chicago, a former sports member of the conference. They dropped out in the 40s but maintained an academic relationship with the other schools. Supposedly there's some sort of agreement between the conference and the university where if UC ever decided to move back up to Division I, they would immediately have a home in the Big Ten. The likelihood of this happening? Very small.

Great post post MAT...! I had heard something about that when I lived in Chicago....

The Big Ten needs a championship game if they aren't going to impliment a playoff system.

Pitt brings nothing to the table relative to the Big 10. Pitt is probably the 3rd most popular team in its own home town, after Penn State and Notre Dame.

If the Big 10 adds a school it will add a school that il likewise an AAU member from a new and different market it does not already control. If UND turns it down, then maybe Missouri.

Pitt is doing just fine in the Big East.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts