Big Ten Network

Status
Please reply by conversation.
My puzzlement is, how will they broadcast 4 or 5 games at the same time? Even FOX can't manage that.

gameplan

What about the NCAA Football package?....I would think if one wanted their College football fix badly enough they would pay the fee for the package...
I disagree with your notion that there isn't enough college football on tv each week...Heck I bet there are 20 games every Saturday listed in the guide...The networks and ESPN handle just about every major game each week...Of course the coverage is regional. But that's fine..Unless of course one lives in a region other than the team they wish to see..Then the answer is the NCAA package...Simple..

dishcomm, no disrespect here man but I do subscribe to ESPN Gameplan every year and have for the past eight years, but the games on the Big Ten Network will not be a part of that package. As other networks come on board the selection of the games for that package has gone down quite a bit and the package is not as good as it used to be. If there were a package that you could purchase and get all the games I would.

dishcomm, no disrespect here man but I do subscribe to ESPN Gameplan every year and have for the past eight years, but the games on the Big Ten Network will not be a part of that package. As other networks come on board the selection of the games for that package has gone down quite a bit and the package is not as good as it used to be. If there were a package that you could purchase and get all the games I would.

Don't forget that the BTN will show lots of basketball games and other sports too.

Appalachian State at Michigan, Noon EDT/11 a.m. CDT
Youngstown State at Ohio State, Noon EDT/11 a.m. CDT
Florida International at Penn State, Noon EDT/11 a.m. CDT
Northeastern at Northwestern, Noon EDT/11 a.m. CDT
Bowling Green at Minnesota, 8 p.m. EDT/7 p.m. CDT
Indiana State at Indiana, 8 p.m. EDT/7 p.m. CDT

Yup, there are some real compelling matchups on the BTN ... :rolleyes:

Sorry, I'm from PSU and I like the idea of the BTN, but the games they are getting are weak (again the good games will be on ABC / CBS / ESPN) and this channel is just not worth what the B10 is asking. That's why very few carriers have picked it up yet.

Sorry, I'm from PSU and I like the idea of the BTN, but the games they are getting are weak (again the good games will be on ABC / CBS / ESPN) and this channel is just not worth what the B10 is asking. That's why very few carriers have picked it up yet.

If you're an avid fan of a Big 10 team like myself, you don't care who they are playing and want to watch the game.

Not unexpected..this is what people in the upper midwest are clamoring for?..Sheesh...Those are "mow the grass' games..Games the nets and ESPN would touch with a ten foot pole..Not one of those games would get more than a regional 3 share. That's why the games are going to be shown on the BTN....I am guessing here, but those matchups and ones similar would not be televised at all, true?..
Hey, if they get their channel without it costing the rest of us subs anything additional, God bless them...

while I agree that some of the early out -of -conference games are not especially compelling, the network will have a studio show focused on the Big Ten, Broadcast of classic big ten games, and more importantly, exhaustive coverage of all conference Big-ten games during the title run.

Not unexpected..this is what people in the upper midwest are clamoring for?..Sheesh...Those are "mow the grass' games..Games the nets and ESPN would touch with a ten foot pole..Not one of those games would get more than a regional 3 share. That's why the games are going to be shown on the BTN....I am guessing here, but those matchups and ones similar would not be televised at all, true?..
Hey, if they get their channel without it costing the rest of us subs anything additional, God bless them...

No, not true. Every Iowa football game is typically televised. Can't remember the last time one was not with one exception. The cable provider I was with last year was slow to pick up ESPNU and I missed one game. If I would have had satellite at the time I would have seen them all.

That is also just the first week. Most schools play smaller schools at the start of the season. I guess in your opinion they should not even telecast the first couple of weeks.

Commish Delaney was on local radio this week, and he clarified what B10 Net is asking from the providers, they want it on the lowest tier, and they want $1.10 a subscriber in the big-10 footprint, and .10 a sub outside of the big 10 footprint, so near as I can figure about 25% of the subs would be in the footprint, which means really about .35/sub for this channel, it will be in HD as well.

Interesting update on the B10 Network from the Chicago Tribune:

Big Ten Network may look familiar

"Comcast has gone public with its negotiating stance, arguing that the BTN's asking price ($1.10 per local subscriber per month and 10 cents nationally) is too high. Comcast also contends that the BTN belongs on a sports tier rather than expanded basic.

BTN advocates counter by saying the new network will have far greater appeal than the Golf Channel and Versus, two other sports networks currently on Comcast expanded basic. Versus has drawn dismal ratings, with just 4,000 Chicago viewers tuning into its June 22 coverage of the NHL draft, even though the Blackhawks had the first pick.

Silverman says the BTN's asking price is reasonable when you consider that Comcast SportsNet charges $3.75 per customer within 150 miles of Chicago and $2 outside."

3.75 and 2.00?! Yikes! And Comcast is complaining about 1.10 and .10?!!!! Crazy!

Ugghh...this p*ssing match is getting old really fast. Why is it that every worthwhile channel is either "in negotiations" or "uplinked but not available" but meanwhile the Reelz channel and Current TV just magically appear?

Silverman says the BTN's asking price is reasonable when you consider that Comcast SportsNet charges $3.75 per customer within 150 miles of Chicago and $2 outside."

3.75 and 2.00?! Yikes! And Comcast is complaining about 1.10 and .10?!!!! Crazy!

ALSO CSN Chicago is on Dish network as well, so there goes the super high rates per customer theroy as to why they wouldn't put them on.

also this is the list of the companies who have signed on to BTN as of Monday.

* Altatec Alta Municipal Utility
* Cedar Falls Utilities, Celect Communications
* Consolidated Communications Network Services
* City of Wadsworth Cable TV
* Dixon Telephone Company
* Grundy Center Municipal
* Harlan Municipal Utilities
* Hiawatha Broadband
* Horizon Telecom
* Independence Communications
* Iowa Network Services
* Mid-Century Communications
* Moultrie Telecommunications
* Muscatine Power & Water
* Oneida Cablevision
* Spencer Municipal Utilities
* The Community Agency and USA Communications
In addition, Big Ten Network has national distribution agreements with DirectTV and the new AT&T U-verseSM service, as well as a major regional agreement with Buckeye Cable.

Golly Gee Whiz,

Almost all of the companies listed below are Iowa entities (Cedar Falls, Grundy Center, Harlan, Hiawatha, Iowa Network, Muscatine, & Spencer for sure).

I sure hope that the Big Ten network is negociating with cable compaines outside of the Hawkeye state. I don't want the BTN to become exclusively the friggin' Hawkeye Network.

And if Charlie Cheese & 'Lil Jimmy DeFranco don't add the BTN to Dish Network lineup soon or to the multi-sports package, I will certainly be leaving Dish Network by the time the Basketball season begins in November.

ALSO CSN Chicago is on Dish network as well, so there goes the super high rates per customer theroy as to why they wouldn't put them on.

also this is the list of the companies who have signed on to BTN as of Monday.

* Altatec Alta Municipal Utility
* Cedar Falls Utilities, Celect Communications
* Consolidated Communications Network Services
* City of Wadsworth Cable TV
* Dixon Telephone Company
* Grundy Center Municipal
* Harlan Municipal Utilities
* Hiawatha Broadband
* Horizon Telecom
* Independence Communications
* Iowa Network Services
* Mid-Century Communications
* Moultrie Telecommunications
* Muscatine Power & Water
* Oneida Cablevision
* Spencer Municipal Utilities
* The Community Agency and USA Communications
In addition, Big Ten Network has national distribution agreements with DirectTV and the new AT&T U-verseSM service, as well as a major regional agreement with Buckeye Cable.

They are talking to every programming provider in the Midwest. For some reason, the Iowa-based providers are signing up first.

Charter Cable is being very stubborn about signing, wanting to put the B10N on their sports tier. They never signed up for the NFL Network, so they may try to go it without the B10N, but if they do there will be a lot of complaints.

Scott is there any way you can check on this with your contacts? To see what is being done and what the chances are that Dish will pick this up and the HD version?

I can tell you what's being done: Dish says "no, you can't be in the base tier and your cost per subscriber is too high".

If the Big 10 Network wants to be carried on any provider's service, they HAVE to bend. Dish will survive just fine without the Big 10 Network... Comcast, Time Warner, etc, etc will to. Now, will they Big 10 Network survive with them ??

Hey guys. Long time reader, first time poster. Any new updates to provide? Scott, do you have any news? I was pleased with all of the HD announcements today, kinda renewed my hope for the Big Ten Network in HD hopefully by the time fall arrives.

:)

Hey guys. Long time reader, first time poster. Any new updates to provide? Scott, do you have any news? I was pleased with all of the HD announcements today, kinda renewed my hope for the Big Ten Network in HD hopefully by the time fall arrives.

:)

:welcome

Hi prezdisher. Nothing mentioned about Big Ten Network within the recent announcements. The network debutes at the end of August so there's still time.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)