Big Ten to a Nine game schedule

Yet if they did allow it to happen and Ohio State and Michigan DID meet-up again in the 2007 BCS National Championship and Michigan won? It would've lessened the importance of the regular season game and both teams/schools would be left clueless as to who is the better team.
Kinda like when Florida beat FSU for the National Championship right after FSU beat Florida in the season finale.

Of course that was because the Pac 10 & Big Ten wasn't participating in the BCS at that time.

As for the better/best team, SCU & Florida showed us that it wasn't OSU or Michigan.

Anyway, this is all conjecture, as it's going to be a long time before Michigan gets anywhere near the Big Ten Championship game. And it's not guaranteed that Ohio St. will be there either.

The ACC did the same thing, thinking they'd be setting up an epic Miami-FSU Championship game, and neither one has made it there year. You can't plan the future based on what's happened in the past.

Kinda like when Florida beat FSU for the National Championship right after FSU beat Florida in the season finale.

Of course that was because the Pac 10 & Big Ten wasn't participating in the BCS at that time.

As for the better/best team, SCU & Florida showed us that it wasn't OSU or Michigan.

The rivalry game between OSU/Michigan is so brutal and so mentally taxing, that the teams often have letdowns the following game. And it's almost understandable. Each team get's up so much for the rivalry game, it's next to impossible to get that same passion and effort in any other game. And that is what makes this game better than any others IMO. The rich history and hate for each team is unlike any other.

I can tell you one thing that may surprise you. As a Buckeye fan, I was more jacked and anticipated the OSU/Michigan game MORE so than the actual BCS National Championship. And not because I had any inkling of what the eventual outcome would be either. Dare I say the hype, build-up and emotion of the Rivalry game is even MORE important to a National Championship? Plus, this game is played amongst 100K+ fans in one of the two schools hallowed fields, not some vanilla dome. I guess you just have to be a part of the rivalry to understand. Playing a Florida, LSU or Miami just doesn't have the same pizzazz as the OSU/Michigan game, even if a BCS Trophy is on the line. And that is part of the reason why I love college football.

It doesn't make a difference and that's what I'm trying to say. Now with the potential of playing them TWICE, it diminishes both games importance. In the past and if UM was in the same division as tOSU, we'd only play once. They hype and importance of 1 game is greater than playing someone more than once. Whether it's two games in a row or not.

Whether they insert a week in between makes no difference to me.

The theory behind putting OSU and Michigan in separate divisons was to create a potentially epic conference title game. Then, they remove the chance for that game to be epic, by having OSU and Michigan play the last week of the regular season. It’s hard to build up hype when the teams just played the week before.

The Big Ten should've had OSU/Michigan in the same division, playing the last week of the regular season (my preference). Most often times, this game would decide the division, much like it has for the last decade. Now the importance of the Rivalry Game has been lessened.

The Big Ten really botched this in my opinion.

You will see PLENTY of hype if M gets back to where they make a difference and this scenario plays out.

Also, just because the two meet in the final game, doesn't mean they have the same record.

They still play where one can knock the other out, just like any other year.

Theres also the chance that other teams would play back to back in the Championship game, theres NO way to avoid that, Ohio State will not WIN the division every year.

In the grand scheme of things, the CC winner has the potential to move on to the MNC game, but that STILL comes down to what the BSC polls say.
The Loser in the BTCCG will STILL be going to a Big Bowl Game.

Another thing I don't agree with is the site of the Big-10 Championship.

Why the indoor stadium? We're a mid-west, blue collar division. This was our opportunity to stick out from all the other conference championships by NOT having it in a vanilla, climate controlled environment.

Can you imagine having the Big-10 Championship at the frozen tundra of Lambeau Field or even Soldier Field?! Now that would be EPIC!

Indy is ONLY the first year, they are still looking at options for future years.

Both of them have been talked about for future years.

I can tell you one thing that may surprise you. As a Buckeye fan, I was more jacked and anticipated the OSU/Michigan game MORE so than the actual BCS National Championship. And not because I had any inkling of what the eventual outcome would be either. Dare I say the hype, build-up and emotion of the Rivalry game is even MORE important to a National Championship? Plus, this game is played amongst 100K+ fans in one of the two schools hallowed fields, not some vanilla dome. I guess you just have to be a part of the rivalry to understand. Playing a Florida, LSU or Miami just doesn't have the same pizzazz as the OSU/Michigan game, even if a BCS Trophy is on the line. And that is part of the reason why I love college football.
Plenty of rivalries that I grew up with in the south, so I understand.

I also understand how the BCS game can be an afterthought, especially seeing how for the last couple of years the BCS Championship has been settled in Atlanta at the SEC Championship Game. Personally I wish someone would beat the SEC champ in the CBS game or at least come close, so I'd actually look forward to that game again instead of it being an afterthought.

Besides, Michigan & Ohio St. weren't playing like it was a letdown, they were both manhandled in those games, so the excuse that it was just a let down and USC & Florida weren't better teams doesn't wash.

Hypothetical:

Let's say OSU & Michigan have their division won heading into the last game of the year against each other. What's stopping either team from resting their starters and playing vanilla offense and defense as to save their best effort for the Championship game?

Hypothetical:

Let's say OSU & Michigan have their division won heading into the last game of the year against each other. What's stopping either team from resting their starters and playing vanilla offense and defense as to save their best effort for the Championship game?
BCS rankings.

The SEC has had teams lock in berths to the championship game and they didn't rest their starters (Florida is a good example, as they tend to lock up the East early, and they don't rest their starters).

BCS rankings.

The SEC has had teams lock in berths to the championship game and they didn't rest their starters (Florida is a good example, as they tend to lock up the East early, and they don't rest their starters).

Ok, what about not resting their players, but throwing away the playbook as to not tip off their eventual opponent in the Championship game?

And how often does the SEC play their final regular season game against the same opponent they'd play in the SEC title game?

In the last 10 years, Michigan or Ohio State has won or shared a Big 10 title 9 times. I'd say the possibility of them winning their respective divisions is very high.

In the last 10 years, Michigan or Ohio State has won or shared a Big 10 title 9 times. I'd say the possibility of them winning their respective divisions is very high.
Ohio St., yes.
Michigan, no. Not with the current state of the program and Nebraska joining the fray.

Ok, what about not resting their players, but throwing away the playbook as to not tip off their eventual opponent in the Championship game?
Both teams want to win that game though. A lose would hurt either team. A loss in just 1 of those 2 games, and you're out of the National Championship hunt.

Plus a coach not even trying in a game would piss off the boosters.

Anyone see the new logo yet?

bigten-12.jpg

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)