Big Ten to a Nine game schedule

Hypothetical:

Let's say OSU & Michigan have their division won heading into the last game of the year against each other. What's stopping either team from resting their starters and playing vanilla offense and defense as to save their best effort for the Championship game?

Yeah, Right. That'll happen. :rolleyes:

Anyone see the new logo yet?

bigten-12.jpg
laughing.gif
What is that supposed to be, some type of subliminal message or something? That's almost as funny as Alabama misspelling Mississippi on their season tickets (almost ;)).

I find nothing wrong with this, matter of fact, I LIKE it :)
Nothing against the Big10, but it just seems ridiculous to me to call it that now that there are 12 teams. It would be like having teams from the southwest join the SEC, and still call it the Southeastern Conference. Makes no sense. I'm just anal about things like that.

Last edited:
Nothing against the Big10, but it just seems ridiculous to me to call it that now that there are 12 teams. It would be like having teams from the southwest join the SEC, and still call it the Southeastern Conference. Makes no sense. I'm just anal about things like that.

Arkansas used to be in the SWAC.

laughing.gif
What is that supposed to be, some type of subliminal message or something?

Have you seen the current logo? It is pretty much the same thing except it has a 12 instead of 11. The current one is not quite as noticeable as the 1 blends in a little more than the 2.

Hmmmm, What are they calling the Big 12 now ?
It now has 10 teams .... :rolleyes:

Kentucky isn't EXACTLY southeast ....

Actually they are. Look at a map of the Southeast and they are included.
I know, as anything southeast of the Ohio River is considered the SouthEast.

Personally I think the BigTen, Big12, & Pac10/12 should all pick names that don't have numbers in them, as it's too easy to get numerically incorrect.

mccoyrj said:
Unfortunately, it is all about branding, not about making sense.

Let's go to my favorite whipping post at the moment, BYU. Although they've won a few MWC Championships in football, they are not "the all-time leader". They have three MWC championships, just like Utah, and a each have a share of the first championship from a three-way tie with Colorado State in 2000. Both TCU and Colorado State have two outright championships. That's it. BYU was not the dominant player in the Mountain West for football.

So one has to wonder why BYU is planning on going alone in football.

Branding. BYU feels they deserve a seat at the BCS table and that the MWC isn't going to have that any time soon. And most people know exactly who BYU is.

Back to the topic at hand...

The Big1T1en has 11 schools. Been that way for darn close to two decades. Why change it? There's a Big 12, and no need to start more confusion. Everyone knows who the BigTen is.

So everyone with a number in the name will stay that way until it is no longer feasible to stay that way.

Last edited:
So everyone with a number in the name will stay that way until it is no longer feasible to stay that way.
Not quite, the Pac10 has already said they're changing to the Pac12.

But since no one else uses "Pac", they're pretty much free to do as they please, as it's the "Pac" that is their brand, not 10.

Not quite, the Pac10 has already said they're changing to the Pac12.

But since no one else uses "Pac", they're pretty much free to do as they please, as it's the "Pac" that is their brand, not 10.
And that makes sense, which is my point. But the Big10 with 12, and the Big12 with 10...to the outside world it makes the NCAA look dyslexic, or just stupid. :D

And that makes sense, which is my point. But the Big10 with 12, and the Big12 with 10...to the outside world it makes the NCAA look dyslexic, or just stupid. :D

What would you like to call the Big Ten now ?
Big Twelve ?

Or are we going out and changing it all together ....

Great Lakes League

Or something bland like :
North Conference .... ala SEC, well be the NC :rolleyes:

Or North Central Conference The NCC :D

What would you like to call the Big Ten now ?
Big Twelve ?

Or are we going out and changing it all together ....

Great Lakes League

Or something bland like :
North Conference .... ala SEC, well be the NC :rolleyes:

Or North Central Conference The NCC :D

Nostalgia aside, what would be so wrong with calling the Big10(11) the Big12 now (unless of course the current Big12 gains two more teams and wants to keep that name :))? The current Big12 was previously the Big8, and they were smart enough to see what made more sense, and will probably rename it again if necessary. I don't see why the Big10(11) can't do the same.

As for the other suggestions, the Great Lakes League actually sounds pretty good, but Nebraska has screwed that up. And I agree that the North Conference or North Central Conference would probably sound bland (or unoriginal), but when/if it becomes synonymous with championship college football..."ala SEC"...it might become just as popular and sound just as good. ;) :)

I don't really care what they call either conference, my point is 10 is not 12 and 12 is not 10. No argument in the world will change that fact. The question "why do they call it that?" will always be there.

Last edited:
Nostalgia aside, what would be so wrong with calling the Big10(11) the Big12 now (unless of course the current Big12 gains two more teams and wants to keep that name :))? The current Big12 was previously the Big8, and they were smart enough to see what made more sense, and will probably rename it again if necessary. I don't see why the Big10(11) can't do the same.

As for the other suggestions, the Great Lakes League actually sounds pretty good, but Nebraska has screwed that up. And I agree that the North Conference or North Central Conference would probably sound bland (or unoriginal), but when/if it becomes synonymous with championship college football..."ala SEC"...it might become just as popular and sound just as good. ;) :)

I don't really care what they call either conference, my point is 10 is not 12 and 12 is not 10. No argument in the world will change that fact. The question "why do they call it that?" will always be there.

Well, like you already said, the Big 12 is STILL taken for starters.

Q. If the Big 12 relinquished the name and they DID change to the Big 12, when it's mentioned, would you be thinking , is it the Big 12 thier talking about, or the Big 10 and which ARE they talking about ?

Gets kinda confusing for the first 2-3 years.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)