Big Ten to a Nine game schedule

Well, like you already said, the Big 12 is STILL taken for starters.

Q. If the Big 12 relinquished the name and they DID change to the Big 12, when it's mentioned, would you be thinking , is it the Big 12 thier talking about, or the Big 10 and which ARE they talking about ?

Gets kinda confusing for the first 2-3 years.
That's true, but after a few years of confusion maybe it would become more clear and seem like it was always that way, just like the Big12 is rarely remembered as the Big8.

I don't know, maybe I'm asking too much of my fellow sportsfans. Heck, I can remember back when I was a kid getting the Big8 and the Big10 confused just because they both referred to themselves as "Big." :D

That's true, but after a few years of confusion maybe it would become more clear and seem like it was always that way, just like the Big12 is rarely remembered as the Big8.

I don't know, maybe I'm asking too much of my fellow sportsfans. Heck, I can remember back when I was a kid getting the Big8 and the Big10 confused just because they both referred to themselves as "Big." :D

Difference being, when the Big 8 went to the Big 12, the Big 12 wasn't already established.

It would be funny if the two conferences just decided to swap names :D

Difference being, when the Big 8 went to the Big 12, the Big 12 wasn't already established.

It would be funny if the two conferences just decided to swap names :D
How about the Midwestern Conference? Covers the territory and is a nice balance to the Southeastern Conference. Get a few championship wins under their belt and who knows, it may become the new power in college football and the Big10 will be just a footnote in history.

How about the Midwestern Conference? Covers the territory and is a nice balance to the Southeastern Conference. Get a few championship wins under their belt and who knows, it may become the new power in college football and the Big10 will be just a footnote in history.

Makes sense, but what would the abbreviation be? MWC? There's already an MWC. (The Mountain West Conference).

BIG 10 works just fine, at least until they expand to 16. Then we can change the name.
16 huh? You might as well call it the "National Conference" then. Or call it the "Union Conference" and the SEC can add the southern division of the Big 12 and call it the "Confederate Conference." I like our odds this time. ;) :)

16 huh? You might as well call it the "National Conference" then. Or call it the "Union Conference" and the SEC can add the southern division of the Big 12 and call it the "Confederate Conference." I like our odds this time. ;) :)

Maybe the Big Ten and the SEC will merge and take the TOP teams from both and leave the rest for the Big east to contend with. :D

Go back to a 10 team conference and STILL have a championship game, screw the NCAA, they haven't done much right of late.

Hey guy's, with the SEC way of doing the Conference championship games, what happens....

Is everything placed on the Conference record or the over all record ?

What happens when say one side has a down year and the other has a great year ?
Example :
Suppose Alabama and LSU have great years and go say 11-1 and on the other side Florida has a good enough year to win thier side of things at say 9-3.

LSU and Alabama should be playing for the CCG , not Florida. Is the better team in the other division just screwed because they can't play in the game ?

That doesn't seem fair .... Not sure I agree that the CCG's are always a good thing, I'm not a MONEY hungry type guy.

So Florida plays in this case and could be the champion with a inferior record over two other teams that are 2 games better ?

Hey guy's, with the SEC way of doing the Conference championship games, what happens....

Is everything placed on the Conference record or the over all record ?

What happens when say one side has a down year and the other has a great year ?
Example :
Suppose Alabama and LSU have great years and go say 11-1 and on the other side Florida has a good enough year to win thier side of things at say 9-3.

LSU and Alabama should be playing for the CCG , not Florida. Is the better team in the other division just screwed because they can't play in the game ?

That doesn't seem fair .... Not sure I agree that the CCG's are always a good thing, I'm not a MONEY hungry type guy.

So Florida plays in this case and could be the champion with a inferior record over two other teams that are 2 games better ?
conference Record, Out of Conference games have no bearing on SEC standings, it's like they don't exist.

To win your division, you have to have the best conference record (cross-divisional games count).
Ties are settled by the Head to Head matchup, if there is a 3-way tie, then Divisional Record comes into play.

Back in the early days of the SEC divisions, the East tended to dominate, but that's evened out as the basement of the West has gotten better (the East's basement, Vanderbilt & Kentucky haven't) and Alabama got good again.
The ACC suffers a problem like that, as it's Coastal has been constantly better than it's Atlantic.

btw, in your example, since both Alabama & LSU are 11-1, the winner of their head to head matchup will go to the SEC Championship Game against Florida. Something like this happened once. LSU had a great record, and Georgia managed to win the East on a so so record. Everyone expected LSU to dominate because of that. Strange thing happened though, Georgia kicked LSU's ass. So you can't go off record, especially since everyone doesn't play everyone. In your example we know who is better between LSU & Alabama, but not between them & Florida, since Florida likely didn't play Alabama.

Last edited:
conference Record, Out of Conference games have no bearing on SEC standings, it's like they don't exist.

To win your division, you have to have the best conference record (cross-divisional games count).
Ties are settled by the Head to Head matchup, if there is a 3-way tie, then Divisional Record comes into play.

Thats interesting.....

OOC doesn't matter.
Hard to compare OOC though, as who people play is completely subjective and in no way consistent. Therefore the conferences don't include them in their records. Counting only conference games keeps everything fair in the conference title race.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)