Big Ten to Expand?

Let's just set up four super football conferences of 16 teams each. Two eight team divisions. All four conferences have a championship game, and the four champions advance to the national championship semifinals.

This keeps rivalries intact, and maintains the integrity of the regular season as well.

I know, it can't work...too simple.

Sandra

This keeps rivalries intact, and maintains the integrity of the regular season as well.

I know, it can't work...too simple.
The teams left out of those 4 super-conferences would beg to differ. Especially since there are 120 DIV-1A members and only 64 (53%) could fit into that model.

The teams left out of those 4 super-conferences would beg to differ. Especially since there are 120 DIV-1A members and only 64 (53%) could fit into that model.

If you take the top 64 teams, you can let team 65 complain all they want. In NCAA football they would have no shot at making the final four anyway.

Would anyone really care if an 8-5 Troy team says they deserve to be in the final four?

Sandra

If you take the top 64 teams, you can let team 65 complain all they want. In NCAA football they would have no shot at making the final four anyway.

Would anyone really care if an 8-5 Troy team says they deserve to be in the final four?
Probably not, but what about a 12-0 team that couldn't even get into the playoffs?

Pre-BCS National Champions didn't always come from current BCS-conferences, and no reason they shouldn't in the future.

Utah spanked Alabama a couple years ago, worse than National Champ Florida did a few weeks prior. No reason Utah couldn't have beaten Florida as well.
Your plan would completely lock out a worthy playoff contender, worse than the BCS does now. At least the BCS sorta pretends to give them a chance.

Probably not, but what about a 12-0 team that couldn't even get into the playoffs?

Pre-BCS National Champions didn't always come from current BCS-conferences, and no reason they shouldn't in the future.

Utah spanked Alabama a couple years ago, worse than National Champ Florida did a few weeks prior. No reason Utah couldn't have beaten Florida as well.
Your plan would completely lock out a worthy playoff contender, worse than the BCS does now. At least the BCS sorta pretends to give them a chance.

Under the 4 16team system it would be extremely unlikely that there are 3 12-0 teams in a single conference. If anything the fight will be against those 11-1 teams in the conference. (Like the Big12 had a year ago)

Under the 4 16team system it would be extremely unlikely that there are 3 12-0 teams in a single conference. If anything the fight will be against those 11-1 teams in the conference. (Like the Big12 had a year ago)
I agree, but I'm talking about a 12-0 team that is not from one of those 4 16-team conferences. For example, another 2008 Utah team.

Sandra's plan would send those 4 conference champs into a 4-team playoff, completely shutting out any teams that are not in those 4 conferences.

At least now (theoretically) everyone in Div 1-A supposedly has a chance.

a 12-0 team not able to make it in the top 64 would likely get creamed by anyone in the top 10.

Utah would certainly be in that top 64. Sandras plans gets the top 64 teams. Utah was in that top 64 and would of had their chance to prove themselves.. Who would be number 65 and below? A team who certainly can not compete with the top 20 teams.

As it is not even "theoretically' not everyone has a chance. Afterall It all depends on the conference you are in. A 12-1 SEC team will get in over a 13-0 NON BCS school almost EVERY single time.

a 12-0 team not able to make it in the top 64 would likely get creamed by anyone in the top 10.

Utah would certainly be in that top 64. Sandras plans gets the top 64 teams. Utah was in that top 64 and would of had their chance to prove themselves.. Who would be number 65 and below? A team who certainly can not compete with the top 20 teams.

As it is not even "theoretically' not everyone has a chance. Afterall It all depends on the conference you are in. A 12-1 SEC team will get in over a 13-0 NON BCS school almost EVERY single time.
But it won't be the top 64 teams in those 4 16-team super conferences.
Nobody would ever consider Vandy a top 64 team, nor Duke, or some of the other bottom dwellers in the SEC/Big 10, ACC, Big 12, etc...

Either way, it'll never happen, as most of Div 1A would have to agree to a playoff, and that would never happen if all the teams aren't allowed to have a chance to get in.

As for super-conferences, they are the reason the SEC (and later the ACC) were created, as the old Southern Conference was too big to be managed.

Only 64 are even remotely qualified to play for a championship, and that's being way too generous. Get used to this idea, because this is the future of college football. The Big 10 will just be first.

But it won't be the top 64 teams in those 4 16-team super conferences.
Nobody would ever consider Vandy a top 64 team, nor Duke, or some of the other bottom dwellers in the SEC/Big 10, ACC, Big 12, etc...

Either way, it'll never happen, as most of Div 1A would have to agree to a playoff, and that would never happen if all the teams aren't allowed to have a chance to get in.

As for super-conferences, they are the reason the SEC (and later the ACC) were created, as the old Southern Conference was too big to be managed.

Of the Div 1 schools Vandy certainly is in the top 64, name 64 teams that are better?

Here's the issue.
Without the sanction of the NCAA, Division 1A can not institute a playoff.
To do that, would involve a very healthy majority of the Div 1A schools voting in favor.

There is no may that will happen when almost half of the schools are completely blocked from access to a playoff. That includes even a Plus 1 model.

Don't forget anti-trust issues that pretty much forces the BCS is add a game in order to guarantee access to non-BCS teams.

As for if there are teams better than Vandy being left out? I'd say Utah is better, because we know they were a hell of a lot better than Alabama 2 years ago. And the big 4 (Big 10, SEC, Pac 10, and ACC with Big East & XII teams being spread around) would likely leave the MWC teams out in the cold.
And is Army in the top 64? Because they beat Vandy last year. As well as Duke the year prior. 2008 was their first winning season since 1982. Not exactly top material. The bottom dwellers of the ACC & Big 10 are even worse.

Last edited:
Looks like ND, Pitt, & Syracuse.

Latest rumor.

subject to change this time tomorrow !

Pitt and Syracuse bring nothing to the Big Ten, other than Cuse bringing a market.

If I had any say in it..... ND obviously would be the #1 choice, except everyone in the country would continue to Hate them, even those in the B10.

the others, Texas was mentioned, I don't see that happening, but would be a HUGE step if they could pull it off.
Nebraska would be a nice addition.

If ND said Yes, I think the B10 would stop at 12, but I don't think they will commit first.

I think it may end up being Nebraska and Missouri., then that make another odd number, thus adding Pitt as an option or Cuse or Rut.

If Pitt comes, I can see Joe Pa retiring in the next year or two.

Last edited:
I think they went hush hush about the Big 12 because of the uproar, but I'm sure behind the scenes......and it would probably be a VERY GOOD thing for, especially Missouri.....and Nebraska

I think they went hush hush about the Big 12 because of the uproar, but I'm sure behind the scenes......and it would probably be a VERY GOOD thing for, especially Missouri.....and Nebraska

So the Big 11 becomes the big 14 and the big 12 becomes the big 10? wtf