Big Ten to Expand?

subject to change this time tomorrow !

Pitt and Syracuse bring nothing to the Big Ten, other than Cuse bringing a market.

If I had any say in it..... ND obviously would be the #1 choice, except everyone in the country would continue to Hate them, even those in the B10.

the others, Texas was mentioned, I don't see that happening, but would be a HUGE step if they could pull it off.
Nebraska would be a nice addition.

If ND said Yes, I think the B10 would stop at 12, but I don't think they will commit first.

I think it may end up being Nebraska and Missouri., then that make another odd number, thus adding Pitt as an option or Cuse or Rut.

If Pitt comes, I can see Joe Pa retiring in the next year or two.

Because ND doesn't come without them.

I heard that the latest name is Texas.

The only way I really see Texas coming is if Texas A&M, and Oklahoma, come too. Why would Texas want to give up these rivalries. Ideally I would like to see this happen, along with adding Nebraska and Rutgers (NY TV market). The BIG 16 would split nicely East and West, and the BIG 16 TV network revenue, (which is already through the roof), would jump even more. Screw Notre Dame, we've asked enough. The funny thing is that the TV revenue from the BIG 10 network maybe pays it's members more than ND is making from NBC.

The only way I really see Texas coming is if Texas A&M, and Oklahoma, come too. Why would Texas want to give up these rivalries. Ideally I would like to see this happen, along with adding Nebraska and Rutgers (NY TV market). The BIG 16 would split nicely East and West, and the BIG 16 TV network revenue, (which is already through the roof), would jump even more. Screw Notre Dame, we've asked enough. The funny thing is that the TV revenue from the BIG 10 network maybe pays it's members more than ND is making from NBC.

That is true, the Big 10 gets about 22m while ND gets 15m ....

Q. is, if you add all these teams to the big pie and the revenue and divide it up evenly (for some reason), do they actually make MORE money, now that they have more schools ?

That is true, the Big 10 gets about 22m while ND gets 15m ....

Q. is, if you add all these teams to the big pie and the revenue and divide it up evenly (for some reason), do they actually make MORE money, now that they have more schools ?
Yes. The Big Ten Network gets .70 from each subscriber in Big Ten states and .10 from outside those states. You can see why NY, NJ, and PA schools are being mentioned to be added to the conference..... ;)

I like a mix of Paul's idea and mine.

Lets add Texas, Nebraska and Oklahoma and Missouri....
Now that would make a stellar conference !

That would be a killer conference. But would the big boys want to give up less chance of national title, bowl bids, etc.???

I would think OSU, UM and the like would want lesser schools for less competition, and still get the dollars and viewers. And would OK, NE, and TX want the tougher competition???

Texas is rumored to the SEC if Big 10 does take MO and NE.

Yes. The Big Ten Network gets .70 from each subscriber in Big Ten states and .10 from outside those states. You can see why NY, NJ, and PA schools are being mentioned to be added to the conference..... ;)

A-HA!!! Now we know the rest of the story.......(with respects to Paul Harvey)!

That would be a killer conference. But would the big boys want to give up less chance of national title, bowl bids, etc.???

I would think OSU, UM and the like would want lesser schools for less competition, and still get the dollars and viewers. And would OK, NE, and TX want the tougher competition???

Texas is rumored to the SEC if Big 10 does take MO and NE.

A-HA!!! Now we know the rest of the story.......(with respects to Paul Harvey)!

Thats the first I've seen Texas to the SEC ...

The bowl bids would change in order to have larger conferences and I would suspect you would see a larger number of teams allowed per conference.
(in the BSC portion)

Would they get the money from all the states though? After all, Philly is excluded from being Big 10 territory, and thus the Big Ten Network isn't included with Comcast basic service in Philly (also know as the biggest city in Pennsylvania) and depriving the Big Ten of lots of money from there.

The same thing could happen with NYC if Syracuse is added. After all, if Comcast can exclude Philly, why can't Time Warner exclude the Big Apple?

Why would Pitt and Cuse have any influence over ND ?

Pittsburgh
The Irish's longtime rivalry with the Pittsburgh Panthers, Notre Dame's fifth most played football opponent, began in 1909 and there have been no more than two consecutive seasons without two teams meeting each other except between 1913-1929, 1938-1942, and 1979-1981. Since 1982, the Panthers have remained a relative fixture on the schedule. Notre Dame leads the series 44-20-1.[2] The longest game in Notre Dame history occurred between the two schools in 2008, when Pitt defeated ND in a record 4 overtimes by a field goal.

Still shouldn't matter. Pitt would still have the same number of OOC games that they do being in the Big East. All they would be doing is exchanging their Big East games with Big 10 games, none of that would affect them playing the Irish.

And no matter what conference they're in, there's no way they'd give up their Irish games.

This is part of the strategy to get ND to join. They already play a few Big Ten teams, the more that will be in the Big Ten and weaken the Big East could force ND to join.

This is part of the strategy to get ND to join. They already play a few Big Ten teams, the more that will be in the Big Ten and weaken the Big East could force ND to join.
Weakening the Big East doesn't affect Notre Dame football, as they don't play in the Big East football.

Notre Dame can schedule pretty much anyone they want. The key is to make it financially worthwhile for them to join, without angering the legion of alumni donators that want them to stay independent.

Weakening the Big East doesn't affect Notre Dame football, as they don't play in the Big East football.

Notre Dame can schedule pretty much anyone they want. The key is to make it financially worthwhile for them to join, without angering the legion of alumni donators that want them to stay independent.

No, the key is to make the big east less attractive for ND in all other sports.

Big Ten takes 2 premere football programs, then the ACC comes in for others. It then is no longer a good conference in the other sports that ND is a member of the Big East in.

No, the key is to make the big east less attractive for ND in all other sports.

Big Ten takes 2 premere football programs, then the ACC comes in for others. It then is no longer a good conference in the other sports that ND is a member of the Big East in.

Big 10 takes "2 premier football programs from the Big East ???

Name 2 premier football programs from the Big East

Pitt can match up with any team from the Big Ten (Football and Basketball).

Historically Syracuse has been successful.

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

I seriously hope you forgot to add the Smiley face !!!!

University of TOLEDO can and did beat Pitt in Football !

There is NO WAY Pitt is on the same level as the top of the Big 10.

Pitt would perennially be a middle of the pack team in the CURRENT Big 10

Pitt is MUCH better than Cuse in the last 20 years

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)