Bird 110

Status
Please reply by conversation.

satman69

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jul 28, 2004
Let me preface this questin by saying that this site is wonderfully helpful.
Can anyone figure out this problem? I have a triple LNB dish. I live in zip code 06489 and Get a great signal from bird 101 and a pretty good signal from bird 119, but nothing from 110. I was going to get HD, but without 110, its not worth it. Since 110 is in between 101 and 119, shouldnt it automatically work? When the "professional installer" put up my dish a year ago, he said that it was normal for me not to get Satellite C. Unfortunately, I was ignorant and believed him. Now I am thinking that I have a bad LNB. Can this be any other thing other than a bad LNB or multiswitch? It cant be a line of site issue since I get the other two signals. Any help would be much appreciated.

Please tell us a lot more about what you have for equipment? What dish, how many LNBs,how is your receiver setup, how many receivers, what models? What signal strengths are you getting on 101,110 & 119? :)

1.) I have a triple LNB dish
2.) I have two receivers. 1 Phillips 7000 tivo, 1 regular
two lines into the tivo, one to the other receiver
3.)101 - 99%, 119- 70%, 110- searching for satellite 0%

You should be getting more out of 119.

Sounds like your dish isn't pointed properly. I never get above 90% on 101.

Hey satman what kind of triple lnb dish do you have? Is it the older type with the combiner and the multiswitch built right on the back...or is it the newer type that has everything built into the arm. Alot of problems arise when you have the older type dish.
If you have the older-style dish, check the connections to and from the Sat C combiner. Or just temporarily bypass the sat C combiner and see if the numbers come up. To bypass the combiner just take it out of the line and join the Sat C LNB directly to the Sat B/C 18V line of the multiswitch. You will lose the even numbered transponders but it will also tell you if the combiner is bad...which is what went bad with mine. Please let us know what kind of dish you have. Good luck. That is kind of low for the 119 sat ...I have an 82....and I feel that could be higher...but I live with it because there have been no picture loss problems. On 101 I have 95-100 most of the time.

My dish is the "newer" everything built into the arm type. Multi-switch and LNBs are all one piece. I dont see how it could be pointed wrong because 110 is in between 101 and 119. If I get both of those shouldnt I automatically get 110?

Yeah that sounds strange, I get 99 consitantly on my 110 bird with my 3LNB.

Get a new LNB assembly, see if that solves your issue.

Check your skew

You may have the skew set wrong. If it's not set right and you aim it using the signal from 101 then the 110 will be weaker and the 119 even weaker.

If you are missing 110 and get 119 it might just be 119 is stronger at your location. If your skew is wrong you are lucky you get 119 at all.

If someone just added a triple LNB to a regular round dish (like I did) you need to do some tricks to set skew. I had to rotate the "bent" mounting pole so it rotates parallel to the satellites and tilt it to get the skew right. It's mounted on a flat surface. The proper dish has a skew adjustment built in.

If you happen to live at 110 longitude you don't need to worry about skew...

Good luck!

C :smug :smug

Well, I went out and bought a new satellite dish and still nothing to Bird 110. After spending over and hour on the phone with D*, I am completely baffled. How can you get great signals on A and B and nothing on C???? Any installers have an idea about this? I had a professional install it about a year ago, and he couldnt figure it out.

This happened to me today as well. I got a new 3LNB dish and got great signals on 101 and 119 and then to 110 and nothing. I was a little mad since I just spend $2500 on a new HD TV and Samsung receiver. But I did get it working....here is what I did.

I the menu of my receiver there is a dish pointing selection. Well under that there is a setting that will let it automactically find what type of dish you have. Even though I had manually put it on a oval 3 LNB dish it wasn't working, but after I did that automatic thing and let the receiver do it for me, it worked and I get a great signal on 110 and get the HD channels.

If that doesn't work...I would try to reboot the receiver by unpluging it for a min. then pluging it back in.

Hope this helps some.

Now I am totally baffled. I had a "professional" install this dish 10 months ago. It is set to 244 azimuth, 29 elevation, and 56 tilt, just like it says on both receivers. I call a D* CSR and they tell me that it is pointed wrong. They say that it should be 233 azimuth and 34 elevation and tilt doesnt matter. My zip is 06489. Who should I believe???

the installer

The CSR is probably thinking of the single LNB dish, which wouldn't have a tilt. The triple one does, since the satellites are at different spots in the ske and skew (tilt) is important

Well, After spending numerous hours on the phone with tech's at D*, it was determined that I have a line of site issue. Doesnt make a lick of sense to me given that I get 101 and 119 perfectly and NOTHING on 110. Oh well, I can not figure this out. How can trees block the middle satellite and not the outside ones!!!

Satellites are at different angles up there. Let's use a soccer field as an example. Stand in the middle of the field.

Looking at the goal end, you can see the parking lot to the right and left of the goal, but the goal blocks the view at that spot.

Let's call the left the 101 parking lot
Let's call the right the 119 parking lot
Let's call what is behind the goal the 110 parking lot.

Now, the satellites are positioned in a similar fashion. Do you now see how one can be blocked and not the others?

Do look at the skew. This is a common cure for getting 101 and 119 and not 110. Happened to me before. Make sure skew and elevation are what the reciever says and then play with azimuth and then fine tune all three.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Is D* PPV-HD actually HD?

D* dish setup/installation help needed

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)