D* dish setup/installation help needed

Status
Please reply by conversation.

dozens

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
May 20, 2004
I am trying to upgrade myself to HD via ebay. I bought a oval 3 LNB dish and when it arrived it only had two LNBs The box the dish came in says it is a trk-s23 (18x24). I could not find it listed on www.terk.com so it must be kinda old.

While I wait for a 3rd LNB I would like to proceed with the setup and get my IRD online.

1) how do I combine the four f-connector wires from the LNBs for Satellite A & B into a single wire ? I assume I need some kind block type combiner.

2) I assume Satellite C is for HD, can I take one of the LNBs from A or B and put it into the C position ? I only interested in watching Sunday Ticket in HD.

To combine the cables from the multiple LNBs, you need either a 4xN or 5xN multiswitch, with the N being a number equal to or greater than the number of outputs you desire. You need a special LNB for the Sat C position, and you need a special combiner to combine its signal with Sat B. What you're looking for here is a "Sat C kit", which includes both.

You would have been much better off getting a phase III dish, which includes all that, and just has four outputs that can be wired directly to your receivers. DirecTV would have likely provided that for free if that's what you needed for your programming package.

Buying things off Ebay is always a bad move (in terms of d* equipment).

You can get the phase 3 dish at BB for $70 or at Circuit City for $100. It has the built in multiswitch that can be put into a 5 x N switch if you need more than 4 outputs.

If you have not yet bought a reciever I would suggest not doing it on ebay. Buy it from ABT or something, the Hughes HTL HD is $285.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts