Bird View setup

Status
Please reply by conversation.
All of my Birdview motors are the 37:1 gear ratio motors, and they all work fine with 24 magnets, and there are no counts lost in the GBox. I never have to bump or fine tune the dish by bumping East or West.

Interesting..if it worked for you it should have worked for me. Unless I got my story backwards. This was about 6 years ago...and all I can remember is, the dish numbers were advancing at an unbelieveable rate. It was either the newer motor or 24 magnet wheel that I had to order to remedy the problem.

Interesting..if it worked for you it should have worked for me. Unless I got my story backwards. This was about 6 years ago...and all I can remember is, the dish numbers were advancing at an unbelieveable rate. It was either the newer motor or 24 magnet wheel that I had to order to remedy the problem.

The thing that needs to be remembered for the 24 magnet wheel to work is that I have the reed sensor adjusted with only a business card thickness clearance between it and the wheel. :)

My 1/4 " thick pvc magnet wheel, once installed, had a very slight wobble to it. So I adjusted my reed sensor AAAALmost touching it at its closest wobble.

As I said, I was able to adjust the sensor for in and out and angle of attack, as well as twisting it in its place to put it's best working face forward.

I don't know if I'm explaining it clearly.

I had one glitch once. I don't use the standard ribbon cable. I use a sprinkler wire that has four color coded, solid wires in it. In the motor end, I have it connected to stranded wire via wire nuts.

Once and only once, I set the G-box to moving and, Although it looked like it was moving on the G-box display, it wasn't. I quickly put the positioner back on the satellite it was looking at, and moved the wires around behind the G-box. Fixed it. My only glitch in 5 months.

food for thought

1. sorry I haven't been contributing to this thread.
Had a fire out back and burned down my phone line drop.

2. I think the 24 magnet trick that didn't work 6 years ago was using an Analog receiver (if I read correctly), and it IS quite possible it didn't handle the rapid pulses so well.
However , the new Vboxes and certainly the Gbox are much newer devices, and seem far more capable.

3. a review of one of Linuxman's old threads on the magnet wheel he built should solve any problems anyone is currently having.

4. take a look at Linuxman's old thread on his Gbox, and the calculations we came up with for pulses per satellite position, and then you can decide how many magnets you want to use.
If 19 looks good enough to you, or 23, there should be no restriction on making such a wheel.

5. there was even a discussion of how to use two reed switches to double the pulse count, but that's probably not necessary.
Consider 18 magnets with two reeds, for a total of 36 pulses per revolution (and then the Gbox appears to double that)

6. maybe at some point, the 70:1 gear ratio motors might be useful if you have too many magnets, but there's also ways to cut the power to the motor to slow it down.
No, I don't mean to use 24 volts instead of 36, though that could work, too. :rolleyes:
I have a trick up my sleeve which can slow the motor to a crawl if necessary, with no loss of torque!
Hope it doesn't come to that, though.
Might wind up being another little board or box you shove into the gear housing.

7. I prefer putting the magnet wheel where the pot used to be, not between the gearbox and the worm.

8. had lunch with a buddy who has lathe and mill in his garage.
I discussed with him the possibility of building up some replacement or hard-to-get parts for the Birdviews.
The magnet wheel & reed conversion kit might be one of them.
Anyone who wanted, could build one any way they like. (there are plenty of ideas here on the forum).
Then, we'd try to use what we consider the best design for those who don't have time or skills to build one.

As you can see, I'm not shy about rolling out my designs.
Comments, criticisms, and competing ideas are all welcome!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts