birdog satellite finder- AWESOME!

philhu

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 1, 2004
Cold Boston Area
First off, I am in a forest. Only can get 110 from 1 place in my yard with a radius of about 12 inches, and the same for 119. It works from the same location. Anywhere else is blocked by trees

Anyway, using a dish rcvr to align the dish (A 24" dish pointed at 119 for DTV HD years ago, and a STRAPPED ON 110 lnb), the best I got on 110 transponders was 37-55 sig strength. On 119 50-72 sig strength. It just wasn't accurate enough or updating often enough to see what minor changes did to signal.

I hooked up the Birdog to my 110 and got a 43% signal. I slightly tilted the dish, while watching the signal on the birdog. It popped from 43% to 60%. Tightened down the screws.

Dish rcvr now shows 110 at 60-80, and 119 at 60-100!!!! So, dish rcvr was losing 110 alot before, now comes in clear. Even came in without problem on HDNET in a moderate rain storm.

The Birdog tuning took 5 minutes! Well worth buying, just for this.

the price for the birdog is pretty expensive but it is well worth it. Sadoun has the birdog for 438 or you could go for the sathawk which is a little cheaper at 419. They pretty much do the same thing. The only difference between the two now (since the birdog just recently came out with a new datafile that enables it to work with universal lnbs) is that the birdog has a 32 satellites memory and you can customize the list of satellites, and the sathawk has a 120 satellites memory but you can't customize the list. I would agree though that the meter is worth buying if your really into your dish.

Accutrac 22 pro

The accutrac 22 pro which is made by perfect is a good meter for Dish Net or Directv. It has two ports for hookup to both sides of the lnb (119 and 110) so that you can peak both out at the same time. It also has the built in battery and is much more affordable. It sells around $100. I use it daily as a Dish installer and am very pleased with it.

That is also a very good meter, we've also never had any problems with it. The only down fall for it is that it doesnt look for one specific satellite, therefore doesnt pinpoint the satellites quality only level. It is good though if you are pretty much doing the same installs all the time like 110 or 119, but the birdog is better for installs for FTA. The Accutrac22Pro is smaller and fits in your hand better, but the birdog comes with a leather carry case that you can hang on your sholder. Both are very good meters.

Why doesn't Dish Network and DirecTv transmit something in their signal from their satellites for a special meter and make it available for sale? This would make the price a bit cheaper for the meters.

i'm an installer and i have a birddog. i'll never go back. i stored all the major birds on it for Directv + Dishnet, and still had room for a bunch of those weird satellites, telestar 5, globecast, ect that foreign customers are always asking if i can help peak while i'm there.

every house i leave has screaming signal now. it sure beats running all the lines first so i can hook up the recievers to power my dinky little channel master.

I seen one in action yesterday. It worked GREAT for tuning in the satellite. The guy said that it works great with Directway too.

C.Lyons said:
Maybe Sadoun can start a lay-a-way program :D

Now that is a good idea. :D

Or maybe we should also offer a rental program (just like the new online DVD rental companies).

What would be a fair rental fee / period in your opinion? (keep in mind 2-way shipping/handling costs).

Rental. Once you get your hands on a meter like that there is no way anyone would want to give it back. At least the lay-a-way option I can dream that one day it will be mine :D

Thats interesting, it would be like a tryout of the product. You could rent it if you only need to use it once and if you like it you can make payments on it or purchase it. That would be a nice option. I just would have thought that the satellites themselves could transmit something which would indicate to the meter what satellite it was in which would only require a much cheaper meter.

DP Plus

f2rc said:
i'm an installer and i have a birddog. i'll never go back. i stored all the major birds on it for Directv + Dishnet, and still had room for a bunch of those weird satellites, telestar 5, globecast, ect that foreign customers are always asking if i can help peak while i'm there.

Does the BirDog work with Dish Pro PLUS LNBFs?

Thanks...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts