black bars

Status
Please reply by conversation.

rasslick

Original poster
Apr 24, 2006
good evening . i try searching the forum on this topic & found some useful info but i did not find a clear response to my delima. i have a 32" samsung hd tv connect to my h20 dvrd box from directv. the hd channels are great 72,74 discovery, HDNET etc, etc (by the way is it me or does DISCOVERY HD looks better than all the other HD channels including ESPN??).anyway am not sure what happen but since last week all my channels (i am refering to the non HD channel )have BLACK BARS on the side of the screen i mean ALL THE CHANNELS!!.the HD channels are ok they show the way they are sopose to.i tried going through the TV setting to verify it's set to 16:9 ,tried zoom ,still have bars this is strange because i did not touch any setting on the dvr box or the TV. i even uplug the TV & the dvr box to see if it would reset but it was still the same. any suggestion would be helpful. i know i had read something in the AVS FORUM on this same issue or here but i can't remember it was a long time ago before i even purchase the samsung or order the HD DVR box. i needed to know more about HD programming this forum was really helpful in my decision to stick with DIRECTV & go HD.....any suggestion would be helpful (i keep thinking it's something simple)..thanks

Its possible the format was hit on the TV too. My LCD does the same thing. Sometimes it could be the black bars on the receiver, sometimes on TV if it got reset like during thunderstorm or power loss.

Its pretty simple, format button as iwc5893 mentioned to adjust Receiver black bar (crop, bars, stretch) or format on the TV or original TV remote that adjusts TV format. Probably similar options.

thanks guys. i am at work right now but tonight i will try what you all suggest. my discovery hd channel seems to look better than all the other hd channels (it's just my opinion. watching the planet earth series looks wonderful )

The weird thing is this same thing happened to me on my HR20. I KNOW I didn't hit the format button by mistake so something happened to change it. Luckily I knew about the format button.

hey all i sorry for the response i did press the format button and my tv was back to normal the only issue now is to try & improve my regular non HD picture.my regular philips tv picture looks better than my flat screen samsung and base on what i read switching to HDMI cables might not help. i try adjusting the picture but that did not seem to help....thanks for the help

HDMI will be the best picture possible. But as you are finding out, not all TV's look the same. SD PQ has also worsened over the years as they compress more and more. You might want to play around with watching SD channels at 480p using the format button.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts