Black Screen Problem

HBR

Original poster
Nov 25, 2005
Hi everyone and thanks for reading this post!!

Well my computer is 6 yrs old and know it's probably time to buy a new one
but it is still working great and really don't want to buy another one unless it is not worth repairing.

I have a Compaq Presario laptop.

The screen has been going black, when this happens I just hook up another monitor and everything else is fine. It is actually working fine now. The problem is that I never know when I will get the black screen again.

Thanks for whatever information you can provide.

The LCD is probably going out and usually it's better to just buy a new laptop than to replace the LCD. Since your laptop is 6 yrs. old and especially with the current prices for laptops, I suggest looking into a new laptop.

Likely it is the inverter that drives the back light on the screen. If you get it in the right light it is likely you can just pick up what is on the screen. I have also seen the switch that shuts the monitor off when the lid is closed act flaky on occasion.

The inverters are fairly cheap and replacement usually isn't that bad, especially if you can find a manual online.

Wow, Thank you all so much!! I have hope that maybe it can be fixed. Thanks for all the different solutions, greatly appreciated!!

The advantage to the machine being old is you may be able to find compatible parts for free. Many lcds are interchangeable, even across brands. If you can find someone with a laptop with a bad motherboard who will give it to you for free it is worth taking them both apart to see if you can swap parts.

To test to see if it is the backlight or the backlight inverter, bring it into a very dark room and shine a flashlight very close to the screen. If the lcd is functioning but the backlight or inverter are not then you will see the ghost of an image.

When it goes black if you hook it up to an external monitor and it works its not the video card. Then screen would be probable issue. If not video on motherboard is bad and it time to upgrade.

If you have it sometimes and not others the inverter is still good. Most likely there is a connector that has trouble staying connected. If it were my laptop, I'd be taking it apart and checking all the connections to that inverter. Trick is knowing what to look for and methodically testing the screen system until you find the problem. Fixing it is usually the easy part. Try to find someone who has been there before you repairing or replacing the inverter. I've found You Tube search for "Replace inverter in a Presario Laptop" a good starting point. Or how to change out the LCD screen on a Presario Laptop. These will often instruct you on how to disassemble and what the inverter looks like and where it is, if nothing else.

Unsolvable PC Problem ?

ultraportable full powered laptop

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)