Black strip on bottom of Voom channels

petrozio

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Sep 28, 2005
Central Connecticut
Anyone get a small (1 inch) black strip on the bottom of some of the voom channels? It only happens with certain programming. I have a plasma, so any bars and I go off the deep end.

petrozio said:
Anyone get a small (1 inch) black strip on the bottom of some of the voom channels? It only happens with certain programming. I have a plasma, so any bars and I go off the deep end.

I see them now and again, but I don't "go off the deep end" when it happens. I know it's kinda frustrating, but it seems you are a little extreme in your reaction to it. :D I notice it on films that are in OAR like the previous poster stated and after a few minutes I don't notice it anymore. But I always buy black or dark cabinet TV's so that eventually to me, the bars blend in and I don't realize they are there.

1) 1 inch in relation to what size screen?

2) What do you do when you watch 4:3 programming, 2.35:1 movies on DVD, ect.?

3) What does having a plasma have to do with it?

Plasma TVs are becoming irritating to me...it seems that most of the people that can afford them don't know what to do with them.

I live above 7000 feet, so plasmas are a no-no- they sound like WeedWackers. Most the stores don't carry them. But I was in Sears, and they had 4 plasmas jammed in the back corner, away from the big displays. When you walk down the aisle, you just see DLPs and LCDs, but they still have this corner thats 15 degrees hotter than the rest of the store and sounds like a swarm of wasps.

I asked the sales guy why they were hidden away- and why they had them at all. He said they always tried to steer people away from them, but some people insist on a plasma. (I noticed they were marked up even higher than the rest of their stuff.)

I stayed in THEHotel in Vegas recently, and they have a plasma in every room. Luckily, I brought a couple DVDs, because they hook them up to the noisiest, most staticky in-house cable system I've ever seen. Practically unwatchable. The DVDs looked great, but obviously they only install plasmas for the snooty factor. (Yeah, I know, why am I watching TV in Vegas...)

I'm not saying plasmas are bad overall- if I lived at a lower elevation, I'd probably be lusting after one.

There does appear to be some offset and not just an OAR problem. Some of it can be removed with the preference>more>position on the 921. This may cause other channel problem but even with minimal overscan I have not seen it and you get a wee more of the original picture on the other side.

-Ken

Thanks for your replies. Ok, going off the deep end is was a little dramatic on my part. For those of you who are not familiar with plasma technology, they can get images burned into the screen, like the old pc monitors, which is why screensavers became so popular. Also, plasma's should be quiet and give less heat then a standard tv, so if you've seen otherwise, I'd question the quality of that particular screen. Nothing beats the quality of HD on a plasma! I have 42 inch. Anyway this tread was just to see if anyone else noticed the periodic skinny black bar on voom channels. -Thanks.

Petrozio, I didn't think of the burn-in factor. I just thought you were one of those "I bought a widescreen TV so I wouldn't have any more bars" kind of people. That's what I was ranting about- people who have $5000 to drop on a TV, but don't understand aspect ratios. Sorry if I insulted you.

As for the heat and noise- the heat is probably just because they have 4 jammed into the display space of 2. But as I mentioned. I live above 7000 feet. Plasma's are only rated to 6000-6500 max. At 7000, they make noise. Most people know that, but unless you've heard it for yourself, you probably think it's a minor hum. It's not- it's an annoying drone. With 4 of them together, the "WeedWacker" comparison is only a minor exageration. These are not cheapy Maxtent brands- these are top of the line models. It's just not designed to work here. (I've also heard that they don't last long up here.)

Bottom line- no one who knows what they are doing buys a Plasma at this altitude. Yet apparently, the demand is still there among the ignorant rich. Thus- major markup.

Supposedly, someone was working on a plasma that was rated to 10,000 feet...there's an awful lot of disposable income in places like Vale, CO. I haven't heard anything recently.

I have a 110" screen with my pj and I get up to about a 3" black bar at times and it is only on the bottom.

places like Vale, CO.
It's Vail, not Vale.

There's LOTS of things that have to be modified or have special models to work at high altitude. Us mountain folk only have 3/4s the air pressure the coasties have.

That means you're 3-4 pounds lighter as soon as you get off the plane in Vail. :D

SimpleSimon said:
It's Vail, not Vale.

There's LOTS of things that have to be modified or have special models to work at high altitude. Us mountain folk only have 3/4s the air pressure the coasties have.

That means you're 3-4 pounds lighter as soon as you get off the plane in Vail. :D

That has more to do with elevation and the effects of gravity being less. Air pressure plays a negligible part in the weight factor.

But again, weight is a bad term to use and of course the United States still uses it while other countries have gone to measuring things in MASS not weight. Weight is an effect of gravity, while mass is constant. The measurements should really be Pounds Mass and Pounds Force.

As for the OP, yes I too thought he was just ranting about the fact he bought a plasma and was mad he had bars. I too neglected the burn in factor.

SimpleSimon said:

There's no way you could get me on a plane to Vail! We have all kinds of flight problems in Flagstaff, and we're 3000 feet lower. At one point, I think the Flagstaff airport had the highest accident/incident to takeoff/landing ratio in the country. A few years ago, I witnessed the aftermath of a gruesome Cessna crash. There was a lot of talk about wings icing, but in the end, they found the fuel tanks were empty. So maybe we just have stupider pilots.

Does Vail have full size jet service? Big planes don't have much of a problem, just privates.

Well, sorry to go on a tangent. I drove though Vail last year, and thought it was one of the most beautiful towns I had ever seen.

petrozio said:

Some of the HD stuff on VOOM is 1:78 to 1 and some is 1:85 to 1. Some of the older movies are upconverted from their original film source and can end up 2:10 to 1 or even 2:20 to one. Especially the ones originally shot in Wide Cinemascope. Those black lines that you are seeing are the result of the higher numbers. There is nothing you can do especially with plasma as you are in a fixed screen resolution. You will get that on other HD channels when they show movies that are show in their original aspect. The higher the number the bigger the bar. Most HD monitors are set for 1:78 to 1 or 1:85 to one. I just watched a DVD that was 2:40 to 1 made in Italy. Talk about a big bar!! :)

The black bar originally referenced, (before the plasma explosion), is only on the bottem. I don't think this is aspect ratio related, which is why I asked the question. I completely usderstand how aspects work in both the HD & SD world.

I concur with you petrozio, my pj has darn near 0% overscan and it is NOT AR related, it is only on the bottom of SOME Voom shows, not all of them. IF it was AR related, the black bars would be evenly spaced top and bottom.

This has come up before and it happened back in the voom dbs days and it also it is now on E*. Like DarrellP say it depends on the program. Some will fill the 1:85:1 screen perfectly while others leave a small black bar at the bottom. It has nothing to do with your equipment but on the program being aired.

This problem has been occuring on certain VOOM channels and programs long-long before. It must have something to do with their equipment or certain source material. Nothing's wrong with your setup. Of course, the less overscan you have on your TV, the more noticeable the problem is. ;)

(Edit: Sean beats me again!)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)