Blackout on MLB channel - why?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
I'm still trying to figure out these blackout regulations.

Today the main MLBN feed of White Sox/Dodgers is blacked out here in Hawaii. Dodgers are always blacked out here on FSWP so it's obvious we are not considered part of the Dodger RSN. The MLBNA feed today Giants/Mariners is also blacked out - which I understand because we get Giants games on CSNBA (part of the sports package).

Could make sense that on MLB Net's map you blacked out from both due to both the Dodgers and Giants being in California. Over here on the East Coast, we got the White Sox and Dodgers games on MLB Net and WGN America. MLB Net played the LA Channel 9 feed.

Yes. it would be nice who at Dish makes the decision to turn switch on or off to decide who gets what. This "blackout" thing drives most people nuts and there really is no rhyme or reason to it despite the so-called blackout rules. It seems that ANY game that isn't in a person's RSN or local should be able to view it. What is the appeal of the MLBN if you can't really use it.

The MLB game blackouts are different than the other RSN's

The simple part is this....if the game involves a "local" team to you...its blacked out forcing you to watch it on the local RSN.
The "not so simple part" to that rule is if your team is not televising it (say a matinee) then the game will be shown locally

Everyone else its a crap shoot as MLB Net does "regional" games. Normally the only ones who get the backup game are the ones who have the main game blacked out but I've seen nights where I have been blacked out of the main game even though it doesnt involve the Twins. This is why last year when Dish didnt carry the Alt network people were mad when they were blacked out for no reason.

The MLB game blackouts are different than the other RSN's

The simple part is this....if the game involves a "local" team to you...its blacked out forcing you to watch it on the local RSN.
The "not so simple part" to that rule is if your team is not televising it (say a matinee) then the game will be shown locally

This makes sense. However, the local RSN that carries the Dodgers for us is FSWP and the Dodgers are blacked out on FSWP all the time. BTW, we DID get the Dodger games last year.

Anyway, the baseball teams we receive here in Hawaii on the RSN's (Multi Sport Pack) are the Angels and the Giants. The problem here is that MLBN is basically saying, "watch the game on FSWP" - but it's blacked out on FSWP.

Further confusing the issue, and a bit off the MLBN topic, We are apparently considered part of the San Francisco market since we get Giants games. San Jose is part of that geographic area and NHL San Jose Sharks games are blacked out on the same RSN (CSNBA).
We get the Anaheim Ducks on the same RSN where we get the MLB Angels. LA Kings are blacked out on FSWP.

I've run into the same issue with NHL Network. This season, I tried to watch a Rangers/LA game on NHLN but it was blacked out on both NHLN and FSWP.

As far as the various blackouts go, it remains head scratching time!

Today they're blacking out the Yankees-Rays game here in Southern California. Calling Dish just gets the CSA to read their boilerplate about blackouts. They seem to have no incentive to even ask someone about the problem.

Between this and the blackouts of Angels games that Dish is unwilling to pay for, I'm just about ready to chuck it and call Direct.

socalsteve said:
Today they're blacking out the Yankees-Rays game here in Southern California. Calling Dish just gets the CSA to read their boilerplate about blackouts. They seem to have no incentive to even ask someone about the problem.

Between this and the blackouts of Angels games that Dish is unwilling to pay for, I'm just about ready to chuck it and call Direct.

MLB Net blackouts have nothing to do with Dish. Everyone here in SoCal with any provider has this game blacked out. That is because we get the alternate game, Giants and Nats, on the alternate channel instead. I have DirecTV and am watching the alternate game on the alternate channel.

The Angel black outs on KCOP is a Dish only issues however.

Sent from my Jailbroken iPad using SatelliteGuys

Last edited:
I still don't know how blackouts work.

I live in Wisconsin, and have never been able to watch a brewers game in FS North, because it always says that it is not available in my area.

Iceberg said:
check the alternate channel in the 5400's

The MLB Alternate Channel is also on channel 478. It is still on channel 5451 (although I think it is just the HD feed), too.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts