Blackout question - NESN in western CT

jrbdmb

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 5, 2004
With my current address in Newtown CT (ZIP 06470), I was able to see multiple Red Sox ST games and Bruins games on NESN over the past month. But I was very surprised to see the NESN HD feed of the Sox - Mets game blacked out tonight (SD feed was in the clear), and even more surprised to see the first few regular season games blacked out for both HD and SD NESN. (All future Bruins games still in the clear.)

I had not had any blackout issues here in the past, so I am a bit confused. Is anyone else in western CT having issues with Red Sox blackouts on NESN? Or did Dish and NESN decide to change what areas qualify to see the Sox? Thanks for any feedback on this.

With my current address in Newtown CT (ZIP 06470), I was able to see multiple Red Sox ST games and Bruins games on NESN over the past month. But I was very surprised to see the NESN HD feed of the Sox - Mets game blacked out tonight (SD feed was in the clear), and even more surprised to see the first few regular season games blacked out for both HD and SD NESN. (All future Bruins games still in the clear.)

I had not had any blackout issues here in the past, so I am a bit confused. Is anyone else in western CT having issues with Red Sox blackouts on NESN? Or did Dish and NESN decide to change what areas qualify to see the Sox? Thanks for any feedback on this.

Did you look at WTXX? They have the rights to some of the Mets games.

Did you look at WTXX? They have the rights to some of the Mets games.
Newtown is in the NYC DMA, and Mets games com in fine on SNY.

Newtown is in Litchfield County, and technically just outside of the Red Sox home area. Through last year Red Sox games on NESN still came in OK, but now I see all Red Sox on NESN blacked out, and Monday's opener on ESPN in the clear. So I guess Dish slightly modified their territories this year. No Yankees, and now no Red Sox. :(

I'm "living" in monroe, CT which got me the NYC DMA along with NESN and red sox last year. I'm trying to watch the red sox right now and the receiver is telling me it's blacked out. So it does appear Dish adjusted the territories since last year.

Does anyone know of any addresses that are within the red sox territory and offer a DMA that is broadcast nationally (like NYC)?

I live in East Haddam (east of CT river) and I couldn't get the game either. I called Dish Network and the person I talked to could only tell me the obvious.

My neighbor had Direct TV and he had the game. So far, I've emailed MLB, the Dish Network and NESN this evening. If you have time, please do the same. The more noise we make, the better chance we can get this resolved.

I talked to Dish Network today as well, and could not get any info from them. I live in the middle of the state and I never had problems watching any games last year. I am feeling desperate already! I will send some emails as well, but I'm at a loss otherwise. :mad:

I live in East Haddam (east of CT river) and I couldn't get the game either. I called Dish Network and the person I talked to could only tell me the obvious.

My neighbor had Direct TV and he had the game. So far, I've emailed MLB, the Dish Network and NESN this evening. If you have time, please do the same. The more noise we make, the better chance we can get this resolved.

You're in middlesex county, right? Do you know for sure that you are located in the "red sox" non-blackout territory? I've been trying to find a precise definition of the MLB blackout territories but I haven't found anything better than a national map that is unclear.

For me (living in TX), the ideal solution would be to find an address that gives me NESN/red sox as well as NY locals (SD are conus) so I still have some SD locals to fall back on when I'm already using my single OTA HD tuner. I am not aware of any other DMA that is in the red sox territory and has conus locals (HD or SD).

As few things here really confuse me. First, with this Monroe address, why would they give me NESN and not enable the sox games? Note that I do not pay for the sport pack. Second, I did get the sox/mets preseason game on NESN that was played friday night. So this makes me think they made the change at the last second. In fact, I may try resetting my receiver to see if it's a glitch. I'll report back if that works.

I talked to Dish Network today as well, and could not get any info from them. I live in the middle of the state and I never had problems watching any games last year. I am feeling desperate already! I will send some emails as well, but I'm at a loss otherwise. :mad:

So it sounds like DISH made a major change to the red sox blackout territory. The question is whether this was in error or whether MLB has actually changed the blackout territory map. I wish I could find a good and detailed source for MLB's blackout map.

In any case, I'm sure people all over CT are calling and complaining so this will hopefully get a response sooner rather than later. It's also possible the fact that the game was a rain delay has something to do with this.

You're in middlesex county, right? Do you know for sure that you are located in the "red sox" non-blackout territory? I've been trying to find a precise definition of the MLB blackout territories but I haven't found anything better than a national map that is unclear.

For me (living in TX), the ideal solution would be to find an address that gives me NESN/red sox as well as NY locals (SD are conus) so I still have some SD locals to fall back on when I'm already using my single OTA HD tuner. I am not aware of any other DMA that is in the red sox territory and has conus locals (HD or SD).

As few things here really confuse me. First, with this Monroe address, why would they give me NESN and not enable the sox games? Note that I do not pay for the sport pack. Second, I did get the sox/mets preseason game on NESN that was played friday night. So this makes me think they made the change at the last second. In fact, I may try resetting my receiver to see if it's a glitch. I'll report back if that works.

I am in Middlesex County. I'm not aware of specific blackout area. I've had the Dish Network for the past 2 seasons and never had an issue. When games are on NESN and ESPN, ESPN has been blacked out for me. I'm going to call NESN tomorrow, they have a phone # on the "Contact Us" section.

I found a statement made by NESN in 2006 that defines the red sox territory as "all of New England except Fairfield County, CT". Assuming this has not changed recently, DISH is in error and should rectify the situation. I hope they turn Monroe back on in the process even though I know Monroe is technically in Fairfield County.

In any case, I'm sure people all over CT are calling and complaining so this will hopefully get a response sooner rather than later. It's also possible the fact that the game was a rain delay has something to do with this.
I called Dish Support over this too (zip 06489). The tech verified that NESN is a valid channel for my zip (duh, I can see it in my guide).

I would buy the "rain delay reschedule" excuse, but why wasn't the SD version available?? It was when this type of thing happened in the past....

I had the same issue yesterday in New Haven County. Last year it was no problem, this year blackout. If we don't get the games what good is having the channel?

Angry Sox Fan

I live in Fairfield County (Bridgeport) and have had Dish Network for 3 years for the sole purpose of watching the Red Sox. We never had a problem until yesterday. I also sent emails and called Dish Network. Please let me know if anyone gets anywhere with this. I am very disappointed that I missed the home opener and may be missing ALL of the games now. ARGH!

I live in Fairfield County (Bridgeport) and have had Dish Network for 3 years for the sole purpose of watching the Red Sox. We never had a problem until yesterday. I also sent emails and called Dish Network. Please let me know if anyone gets anywhere with this. I am very disappointed that I missed the home opener and may be missing ALL of the games now. ARGH!

Well, to be fair, fairfield county should technically be blacked out. It will be interesting to see if fairfield county is still blacked out once this whole mess is sorted out and fixed. If it is, you could still try "moving" to another county in CT but you will probably get CT locals rather than NY locals. Search the forums for info on this.

Called NESN. (617-536-9233) I explained that I was calling from CT and the game was blacked out. She said "Dish Network, right?", I answered yes and she transferred me to the PR department (that didn't sound encouraging) where I got the voicemail for Gary Roy. I left a message for him. I called later to see if I could get a live person, and I was transferred to Karen Burzoni(sp?). I then called the dish network corporate office, who denied any responsibility. Waiting for a callback.

I had a similar experience with Dish Network and Center Ice a few years ago. It took an entire summer, but I sent letters to the Ducks and to the NHL Head Offices and they got it rectified. I even had the NHL's VP of Broadcast Communications calling me. Be the squeaky wheel to MLB, Red Sox and NESN and it will get fixed. Being the squeaky wheel to DISH accomplishes nothing as their attitude is "blackout until told otherwise by provider," even if you can show them something or tell them that the neighbor next door has it. DISH just flat out does not have a way to deal with blackout mistakes.

Red Sox Games blacked out on Dish, is Direct TV ok?

I live in Seymour, CT and have had dish for 5 or 6 years, and have HAPPILY watched every Red Sox game on NESN. This year, they are all blacked out. Even the Red Sox Classic games are blacked out. Dish had no response, and basically said deal with it. NESN hasn't responded to my inquiries either. So... I've gotten quotes from both the local cable company Comcast (where I have confirmed that the games aren't blacked out) and from Direct TV, who claims that the games aren't blacked out but I'm still looking for local confirmation from someone in my area. I don't want to waste an entire baseball season waiting for Dish to get their act together, so I'm switching.

Anyone live in or near Seymour, CT and has Direct TV?? Can you confirm you saw opening day yesterday on NESN on your Direct TV unit? Can you let me know? j.grenier@snet.net....

I greatly appreciate any help/info anyone can provide and I'll be sure to share my findings with the others on this board!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts