Blackout question - NESN in western CT

Nesn is CT

I live in Torington which is in Litchfield county. I am watching the Red Sox right now in HD on NESN Channel 434. I have a similar problem with the NY Rangers blackouts. I called Dish and Emailed MSG. Dish says I am out of the DMA but Cablevision (owned my MSG who own the Rangers said it was up to Dish. Dish said NESN HD is the Sports Channel I can receive and that MSG Channel 412 was part of the Sports Package so it was subject to blackouts per MSG. I also have Center Ice but none of the Ranger games are broadcast from MSG in HD on Center Ice. I explained that MSG said they had no problem with my receiving their programming Dish said there was nothing they could do as this was a DMA issue. I am almost positive Direct TV has MSG in HD and the games are not blacked out at least they were not 2 years ago when I has Direct Tv.

Since my phone and internet are with Cablevision I went for their $89 special so I can get the Ranger games in HD. However lately they are showing Knicks on MSG and the Rangers on their "guide" channel in SD! Just can win. Plus their DVR is crap.

I can not understand why Dish and Direct have different DMA areas. You can "move" but you will lose NY locals>

Murray

DirecTV has a page where you can enter a ZIP and see exactly what sports you will get:

The 06790 ZIP Code (Torrington) is in the home team territory for the following pro teams. With HD Access select channels and teams available in HD are noted below:

With any DIRECTV base package (CHOICE or above, or FAMILIAR or above):
spacer.gif

New England Sports Network (Ch. 628) - HD Available
s.gif
Boston Bruins (HD Available)
s.gif
Red Sox (HD Available)
CSN New England (Ch. 630) - HD Available
s.gif
Boston Celtics (HD Available)
Yankee Ent. & Sports (YES) (Ch. 631) - HD Available
s.gif
New Jersey Nets (HD Available)
s.gif
Yankees (HD Available)
SportsNet New York (Ch. 639) - HD Available
s.gif
Mets (HD Available)

Looks like the Rangers and Knicks are not available to you with DirecTV either. I guess cable goes by different rules. :(

Petition to MLB to lift restriction

I am a Red Sox fan in Monroe CT. I have been thinking of goign to dish so I can get NESN. I thought Dish can offer it but from this forum I may be worng. As a newbie to the forum I am unable to post the url for this petiotn but if your search Yahoo for "NESN petition" you should find it. So far they collected over 700 signatures.

I am a Red Sox fan in Monroe CT. I have been thinking of goign to dish so I can get NESN. I thought Dish can offer it but from this forum I may be worng. As a newbie to the forum I am unable to post the url for this petiotn but if your search Yahoo for "NESN petition" you should find it. So far they collected over 700 signatures.

Hey, rest assured that Dish is not blacking out the red sox on NESN in monroe. I am using a monroe zip code and I get the sox on NESN every night. This could change at any time but it's been like this for several years. The problem discussed earlier in this thread was a major mistake dish made right at the beginning of the season which caused almost everyone in CT to be blacked out. That mistake has since been corrected and everything is back to "normal".

Technically, Monroe and Newtown *should* be blacked out since they are in Fairfield County. But apparently Dish blacks out sports by ZIP, and a few 064xx ZIP codes in far eastern Fairfield County sneak into Red Sox territory. I'm curious if 066xx Bridgeport ZIPs are blacked out or not, but nobody on here has given an update on that area yet.

The only way to "fix" the problem would be to let the Red Sox claim Fairfield County as stated in the petition noted above. Unfortunately there are few examples where one team claims the home DMA of another team (Baltimore / D.C., Texas / Houston, S.F. / Oakland) - and these are all for teams in different leagues. Fairfield County should be part of Sox territory, but since it is part of the NYC DMA I doubt the Yankees and MLB would ever let the Sox do this.

Last edited: