blank screen on 722 HD Dual Tuner

logger31

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 2, 2007
South Central PA
one of my 2 HD receivers is on and i can see the channel banner and all that but it totally shows up as blank otherwise. There is no feed coming on the screen just the 2 banners. Also every few minutes the program guide keeps saying its trying to get new data without me even pressing a button. Just trying to wonder whats going on here.

My 622 does this from time to time. Sometimes it self corrects, but usually, I wind up rebooting the box. Sometimes, even though the screen is blank, when I select the guide, there will be a picture with sound in the inset box on the top right. Canceling out does not necessarily restore the full screen picture however. I assume it gets in to some sort of a software loop, and can't find a way out.

For those of us who are not techno-geeks, which do you mean by Hitting the pip and then swap in single mode?

Baby Geek

Put the receiver into single mode by pressing the mode button inside the door on the right of said receiver. Then press the picture in picture button (PIP) button on your remote, then the SWAP button. Hope this helps.

Ed

My 722k did the black screen plague thing last night. This happened the same way with a 722 last year and was solved by a software update. Screen is black and audio out, but guide, banner and dvr menu all visible. Same issue on both tuners and recorded programs. Clearly a display-only issue as a program that was recording at the time had no problems when played back later. Reset button re-boot brought the picture and audio back.

Black screen with banner (BSWB) is what we call it. I'd say 95% of the time a hard reset fixes it. Normally its caused by (believe it or not) an authorization issue in the receiver, most likely due to a brain fart in the receiver.

*EDIT* It can also be cause by signal issues, or service interruption. Still most likely is a temporary glitch fixed by HR.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)