blind scan TNAP4

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Interested in trying these. Any place in particular you recommend downloading OpenATV and PurE2 from?

These will most likely boot in 50Hz mode. If you don't have a multi-rate monitor, I think you can cycle through modes with the up and down keys til you find something that displays at all, then after you've locked that in you can go back through the menus and select the exact resolution you want. (I've seen some E2 images for other receivers that would helpfully display the mode on the front panel LED as part of the setup wizard, I don't know why everybody doesn't do that!) Alternately, the WebIF is enabled by default and I think the ethernet port is too, so if you plug it into a network that contains a DHCP server you should be able to set it up from your computer.

The other annoyance to be dealt with is that once you're up and running, pressing the up and down buttons doesn't immediately change the channel, but instead brings up the channel list. This can be modified, but it's not as simple as selecting "Neutrino style" in TNAP, in fact in PurE2 it took quite a bit of time to find -- it really is a "kitchen sink" type image, but don't let that put you off, it doesn't behave as if it's bloated, it's quite responsive in fact, it just takes a while to figure out where they've put everything.

The other image I played with for a while was SatDreamGr. It was OK til it crashed (I don't remember what I was doing at the time), so I bailed on it. To note: SatDreamGr will happily accept a backup of TNAP's settings. TNAP was based on SatDreamGr at first, but no longer is, but presumably whatever TNAP is now based on and SatDreamGr must share a common ancestor.

Reactions: FTA4PA
I use USALS to find satellites initially then change to diseqc commands to save satellite positions in a dedicated motor position.
What exactly is the procedure for doing this with Enigma2? I've done it with other receivers; some of them were easy, just switch the mode to DiSEqC 1.2 and save it, others were annoying in that they wanted to move when selecting a position number and I had to drive it back to the satellite first. But E2 seems more perplexing in that the DiSEqC settings are set up as part of a definition of an LNB and satellites are then assigned to that LNB.

(Ideally, none of this should be necessary, but it seems I can't get my tracking exactly right no matter what. I've done the standard setup and I've done the "modified" setup where you subtract a bit from the motor angle and add it to the dish angle (or is it the other way around?), but I still find myself having to fuss with satellites at the extremes of the arc, or with weak or low-FEC transponders. It doesn't help that there are no non-DBS satellites closer than about 12 degrees to my longitude to help tweak the azimuth setting...)

In TNAP 4.1 with Mio+, initially configure all satellites to use USALS:
Setup>Tuners & scanning>Tuner configuration>Tuner A>Select satellite>Use USALS for this sat: ON.

Use Positioner Setup to find satellite:
Setup>Tuners & scanning>Positioner setup
Highlight Goto: Press Yellow button (Goto X).

Press Menu button. Open setup tuner. Select satellite. Change "Use USALS for this sat" to OFF. Enter a motor memory number in "Stored position". Press Green button to save. My motor supports 50 different positions.

Use Positioner Setup to find satellite:
Setup>Tuners & scanning>Positioner setup
Highlight Memory index: Press Green button (Store position).

You now have the USALS azimuth stored in the selected motor position. Now you can highlight "Fine movement" and motor the dish back and forth using Green button (Step west) and Yellow button (step east) to manually find the peak of the signal. When best peak is found, then highlight "Memory index" and press Green button (Store position).

Repeat for each satellite used.

These will most likely boot in 50Hz mode. If you don't have a multi-rate monitor, I think you can cycle through modes with the up and down keys til you find something that displays at all, then after you've locked that in you can go back through the menus and select the exact resolution you want. (I've seen some E2 images for other receivers that would helpfully display the mode on the front panel LED as part of the setup wizard, I don't know why everybody doesn't do that!) Alternately, the WebIF is enabled by default and I think the ethernet port is too, so if you plug it into a network that contains a DHCP server you should be able to set it up from your computer.

The other annoyance to be dealt with is that once you're up and running, pressing the up and down buttons doesn't immediately change the channel, but instead brings up the channel list. This can be modified, but it's not as simple as selecting "Neutrino style" in TNAP, in fact in PurE2 it took quite a bit of time to find -- it really is a "kitchen sink" type image, but don't let that put you off, it doesn't behave as if it's bloated, it's quite responsive in fact, it just takes a while to figure out where they've put everything.

The other image I played with for a while was SatDreamGr. It was OK til it crashed (I don't remember what I was doing at the time), so I bailed on it. To note: SatDreamGr will happily accept a backup of TNAP's settings. TNAP was based on SatDreamGr at first, but no longer is, but presumably whatever TNAP is now based on and SatDreamGr must share a common ancestor.
Thank you very much for the links and the info on what to expect once installed. I will download them and try them out as soon as I can. :)

P.S. Thanks as well for the satellite list for PurE2 that you shared in post #25. :)

Reactions: Jim S.
So I figured out a few things since my last post. First of all, increasing the voltage did help. I pretty reliably get horizontal transponders now. The problem I was having is that configuring the tuner in "advanced" mode gives you options to configure it per satellite, for all satellites, or an option for "choose satellites" or something like that (I can get the exact text if anyone's interested). I thought I was doing the right thing by choosing the "all satellites" option, but that one then causes the blind scan to throw an error about how those settings are not compatible with TNAP. If I use "choose satellites" and select specific sats, or just select them all, blind scan works.

Well, I say it "works" but for whatever reason it's still behaving very erratically. It runs, but it's still missing transponders that my GTMedia satellite finder locks onto with no problems. USALS is still being a little insane, too. Ordinarily if I select a satellite for blind scan, the dish starts moving to that satellite immediately. But I have at least two satellites (117W and 87W) where the dish just doesn't move. In other cases I've seen the dish move to a position and then move away from it again, seemingly randomly. Sometimes the dish moves to the 0 position (due south) instead of moving to the selected satellite's position. So something completely insane is going on at this point.

I have factory reset the receiver several times in the course of all this, but I noticed it's not a true factory reset because it doesn't reboot the whole box, it remembers my wifi settings, etc. I'm kind of at my wit's end with this receiver, or at least this firmware. I might try the second tuner to see if it behaves differently, but then I miss any DVB-S2X transponders.

I'm on vacation for two weeks starting today, so I'll have more time to mess around with this.

I blind scan SR from 01 to 60, vertical and horizontal and it always works on my Edision Mio+. The reason I widen it to 01 instead of the low default of 02 is to catch tps like 11708 H 1013 and 11804 V 1107 on 103W.
OK, I understand now - thanks for that tip! I like to find anything and everything when I scan, so I'll probably start doing that, too.

Well, I say it "works" but for whatever reason it's still behaving very erratically. It runs, but it's still missing transponders that my GTMedia satellite finder locks onto with no problems. USALS is still being a little insane, too. Ordinarily if I select a satellite for blind scan, the dish starts moving to that satellite immediately. But I have at least two satellites (117W and 87W) where the dish just doesn't move. In other cases I've seen the dish move to a position and then move away from it again, seemingly randomly. Sometimes the dish moves to the 0 position (due south) instead of moving to the selected satellite's position. So something completely insane is going on at this point.

FWIW, the only time I've had my motor (with any receiver) reverse direction and go to 0 or the opposite limit in mid-move (as opposed to just stopping in mid-move, which is an insufficient amperage problem), it's been a hardware problem with the motor. The first time, the motor shaft had somehow worn through the wiring. The second time, the limit switches or the relays were stuck. If this is only happening with one receiver for you, then that's obviously not the case.

When you go to 117W or 87W in the tuner setup menu, are the motor/switch/LNB settings for them the same as they are for other satellites?

If you have time, try another image (see my caveats to FTA4PA above), just to make sure it's not a setting problem with your installation of TNAP. DO NOT re-load a backup of your settings from TNAP, not every image is currently using the same base version of the software, and you want to make dead certain it's not something you've inadvertently messed up anyway.

OK, I understand now - thanks for that tip! I like to find anything and everything when I scan, so I'll probably start doing that, too.
Did you just download and install TNAP 4.1 with backup, or did you do it from scratch with a usb drive image? JUST in case there's something funky with your Settings file, I'm going to suggest you flash it again, into a DIFFERENT slot, and WITHOUT restoring your backup.

Then, setup a single satellite (or a few if you'd like) and see if it now seems to be working "normally", IE: not odd like the first slot does.

For all of the tp/channel "missers".
In tuner setup are you sure to turn tone mode off?
Depending on your LNBF of course.

Just took another test ride with the latest greatest TNAP multiboot in slot 2 of my mio.
Wow! Talk about a thumb workout on the remote!
I asked for directions and ended up in Yonkers!
.....back to openatv 6.4 in good old slot 1.

For all of the tp/channel "missers".
In tuner setup are you sure to turn tone mode off?
Depending on your LNBF of course.

I did eventually figure out that I should turn tone mode off since I wasn't using a universal LNB. I did get scan results with tone mode on and the LNB set to Ku universal, but of course all the frequencies were wrong and it detected transponders twice (because the LNB ignored the tone). Eventually I figured out what I was doing wrong, changed the LNB to Ku STD and disabled tone.

Reactions: arlo
Did you just download and install TNAP 4.1 with backup, or did you do it from scratch with a usb drive image? JUST in case there's something funky with your Settings file, I'm going to suggest you flash it again, into a DIFFERENT slot, and WITHOUT restoring your backup.

Then, setup a single satellite (or a few if you'd like) and see if it now seems to be working "normally", IE: not odd like the first slot does.

I never restored from a backup when I did a reset. I just selected the "factory reset" option in the menus and chose the non-backup version. This is a new receiver and I have nothing to lose by throwing away anything I've done so far.

I've wondered a few times if something about my settings file is cursed. I think I'll try what you're suggesting and see how it goes.

Reactions: primestar31

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 6)

Latest posts