Blind Scanning AMC-18

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

sonyajon

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Nov 15, 2009
New Mexico
Have been trying to scan in TP's from AMC-18, 105W with an AZ Box Ultra. No success at all.
I am on the bird because I can watch my 922 sub and have 98 Quality with the 922.
I have tried to coax in TP's.
I have tried Deleting and rebuilding the bird.
I have even cleaned out all the TP's and started with none.
I have tried All Polarity, Horizontal only and Vertical only scans.
I have tried the faster blind scan method. My setup is with a switch and my settings are 5150 and LNB 1.
I am using .5020 firmware.
I have no trouble blind scanning any other birds except this one.

Any advice would greatly be appreciated, very perplexed:mad:

Last edited:
Thanks Lone Gunman

Manually enter the TP info, Blind Scanned again and it did not pick it up, looks like I will try to re-load my firmware again tonight and see what happens

Sonyajon, just to followup on Lone Gunman's comments, there are some great new mostly HD channels on 105.0W / AMC - 18 on C Band. Scanned them in last week they are on: H-3780 / 30,000 / 5/6, H-3940 / 30,000 / 5/6, and V-3920 / 30,000 / 8/9. Re signal Strength I'm averaging S = 70 to 71 and Q = 90 - 94 on those 3 Tp's.

Thank you jsattv,

I am going to re-load the firmware and will see what happens, will look forward to what you got going, I appreciate it!

Thank you jsattv,

I am going to re-load the firmware and will see what happens, will look forward to what you got going, I appreciate it!

Might not be a firmware problem???? How about the REST of your system, ie, dish location, LNB polarity, etc?? Are ALL you're other sats coming in OK??

All other sats are excellent, can blind all other sats, it finds the TP's, just something with this bird, AZBOX finds absolutely NO TP's when blind scanning....

All other sats are excellent, can blind all other sats, it finds the TP's, just something with this bird, AZBOX finds absolutely NO TP's when blind scanning....

Sonyajon, the AZbox does find and scan in new Tp's - at least my Premium Plus does. That is, when you do a Blindscan it will List all Found and New Tp's. For example, when I scanned in a new Sat for me that was NOT on my Satellite List - 55.5W I only scanned in 2 Tp's and the Separate Horizontal and Vertical Blindscan found all the rest of the Tp's & Sat Channels. You may need to check your S and Q quality on one of the Tp's, ie. try H-3780 for Quality Before Blindscanning.

jsattv

We only got started with our first dish last April (with the greatful help of Green Guy and LAK7 who gave up a Sunday PM which we will never forget) so we don't understand a lot of things. We live on this web site and read and read and read.
105W is our southern most. sat. On our 922 Moto and with our sub to SRL on X4/W5 we currently have S=100 and Q=99. That's all we have to go by.

We got our AZBOX some months later. about August. We have moved around from Sat to Sat and just Blind Scanned to start with. We have seen on the different SAT's, as we Blind Scanned, TP's added as well as the new ones added and the channels added

Because of a Mountain to our East (8800 ft, less than 1/2 mile) we know we cannot go any further east than 83W and we can go to 139W and can get Tp's and channels or radio on most birds. We can get RTV, Tuff TV, METV, Pixl and such. We can get channels on a lot of them. Because we live in NM, our is S=90+ and Q-85+ on most. The problem lies with 105W only. We can never get any TP Quality, on this bird, but we can get Signals of 90+, we have even tried "bumping the dish a little east and West", but to no avail. but can we cannot get anything when we blind scan this Bird or if we do a Horizontal or Vertical scan of this bird.

Pehaps we do not understand the process within AXBOX. Should we blind scan a bird first? Or should we just scan Horizontal and then do a Vertical scan? (and we have tried that) Or should we skip the Blind Scan and do JUST a horizonal and the a vertical scan?

We have not begun to start to Master MAZedit etc yet. We know this is important, but we both work so time is an issue, so we have been using the remote to add or delete sats and or TP's. We know that if an existing TP is close, it will not scan in so we have tried deleted existing TP's that are close and we have tried deleted the 105W Sat and then re-adding it, then blind scanning it in again. We have tried using the remote to North Americanize the Sats.

Nothing we seem to do with just THIS SAT works???

It seems to us that this thing is corrupted and we will have re-load the firmware again

Any suggestions will be most appreciated
Thanks

It sort of sounds like there is a setting wrong in your antenna setup for the satellite. Go into Antenna Setup and make sure the settings (LNB frequency, DiSEqC, etc.) are the same as any of the other C-band satellites you do get signals/channels on.

Not sure you know this, but if you've been reading here you ought too but before you do a factory reset on the firmware on your AZ you need to backup the DVBS.dat, Channel.dat and Antenna.dat files. first thing after the reset go and setup 105 and try to scan it before you do anything else. If it works then you can say that the files you saved were corrupt. If it still doesn't work, then you can upload those saved files and get your system back to where it was before you started. Nothing quite like having backups of stuff. I backup mine about twice a week just in case!!

I agree with Keith and Lone Gunman, that is, before you load in new Firmware or do a factory reset, re check your Antenna Setup. What is your Setup & your Satellite Settings: Do you have a C Band LNB? And what are your Settings for AMC 18? That Is: Sat Name? LNB Freq? DiSEqC? 22 Khz Tone? Are you setup with LNB's for KU and C Band? You will need to have some sort of DisEqC switch - that is LNB 1 or LNB 2 - to switch in your Azbox between C and KU Band LNB's, if you are receiving both Bands. I guess Lak 7 or Anole may know, both of them given me some great advice in this forum.

Lastly, Before Blind Scanning in AMC 18, you will need to move the Dish to one of the stronger Tp's on AMC 18 / ie 3780, and when you have a strong Signal on S and Q mostly Q, then go ahead and Blind scan in that Satellite. Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Sonyajon, after looking up the manual & info on your DMX 741 Dual C / KU Band LNB, you have 4 choices to set it up for C and or KU Band with your Coax Cable Setup back to your Azbox. I don't have this DMX 741 LNB, but your problem may be in the way you need to chose your DiSEqC 1.0 LNB1 or 1.0 LNB2, etc. Setup for KU or C Band in your Azbox Ultra. Do you already have BOTH C and KU Band Satellites scanned in? Can someone with a DMX 741 LNB and Azbox help out?

Last edited:
Blind Scanning AMC-18 Update

All,

Check settings, checked alignment and count not find anything wrong. Re-loaded firmware and all is back to normal. Go figure....

Thanks to all who gave suggestions, doesn't hurt to re-check everything

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts