Blind VS Preprogrammed scans

beer4me

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Apr 3, 2009
Gowganda North Ontario
I did a blind scan [ detailed ] today on 83w to see if there were any new channels , and noticed that pbj , tuff and rtv were not found. Did it on the preprogrammed scan and there they were [ I already had them as well ] . I thought it was a little strange. Is there a chance that more channels can be missed on a blind scan ?

pre-programmed scan scans the existing transponders logged into the receiver whereas blind scan finds new stuff.

Honestly I havent used detail scan in a while (probably when I did the review on the LNB). Normal scan works good for me especially when trying to find football games. :)

There are some transponders that are tricky to lock on a scan. RTV is one, KTEL on 87W is another.

Thanks for the quick reply. I am going to check some more sats . I'm still enjoying this MicroHD , and , trying to experience more features. I just hate to miss channels because I made a mistake . I always enjoy the hunt.

I've had "blind scan-detailed" miss picking channels up on more then one sat. (channels I KNEW were there), where when after I typed in the transponder details from Lyngsat, it had no problems then picking up channels after a transponder (pre-programmed) scan.

Is there a chance that more channels can be missed on a blind scan ?
absolutely can be missed! the good news is the MicroHD has various blind scan settings to let the user determine how detailed/slow, how quick or how targeted they want the blind scan to be, so you are more able to find more signals with blind scanning using the microHD than you are blind scanning with other ali-chip based receivers (openbox, manhattan, etc) that only have a single blind scan setting with no flexibility.

Well, to be fair to the Openbox, the latest firmware on the recent models also allow for a more accurate blind scan and I've been impressed at its level of sensitivity. However, you cannot adjust the range of frequencies nor manually enter PIDS as you can on the microHD, so in my opinion, the microHD is still better at finding channels.

yeah i miss some too, I just hope i am not missing any important feeds! lol, i guess i could go back every time to the programmed tps after a scan but it would just add more time. i have missed several channels.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)