Blockbuster Movie Pass performance thread

TheForce

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Pub Member / Supporter
Oct 13, 2003
Jacksonville, FL, Earth
For the Blockbuster Movie Pass to be worth it, we have to see a good selection of disk titles and plenty available to get when we order. Also, it is hoped that the turn around time is quick enough to give us more than just a couple of titles a month.

I signed up on Oct 1 like many of you and put a dozen titles in my cue. Some were new releases and others very old DVD titles just to test the waters.

Looks like the e-mail notice I got today is I'm being passed over for the first 4 and will receive #5 on my list, ETA is Thursday. BY comparison, I ordered the same title as #1 in my list from Netflix and it arrived today!

Hopefully, we will see some improvement in the near future on this service. For now, I'll just keep my Blockbuster IN STORE movie pass which is considerably more expensive but works.

Please post your results over time and the rest of us can see if Dish/BB has a serious delivery problem they need to fix or it works great in some areas.

If they don't have it, they don't send it

If they don't have it, they don't send it

So what's your point?- that Dish/BB can't deliver what they advertise? We won't know that until we start seeing the results of what people report over the next month or two. I will give them the chance to keep my business. But, no way will I cancel my current in store MoviePass for Dish Movie Pass if the performance is continues to be poor. Just post your performance please. Thank you.

So what's your point?- that Dish/BB can't deliver what they advertise? We won't know that until we start seeing the results of what people report over the next month or two. I will give them the chance to keep my business. But, no way will I cancel my current in store MoviePass for Dish Movie Pass if the performance is continues to be poor. Just post your performance please. Thank you.
Ok, Fine. First BD in my que shipped today. THEY HAD IT. Yours, they did not. You obviously are not new to this. Don't act like you are.
Edit: I hope you did not think there was going to be a whole new inventory just for Dish customers.

Last edited:
my #2 shipped today. Whether it arrives tomorrow, Wednesday, Thursday, or even Friday it's all good for me since I don't schedule my life around when/which movie arrives or whether it shows up a day or two later than what Netflix can deliver. I made the decision a long time ago that Netflix would not get my business and now that Dish has Blockbuster and has it linked to my account for free, it's just a bonus for me. I was able to build a queue of DVD's that I would like to see and have them delivered to my house for free and whatever order they show us is absolutely fine with me!
But then my life is more than tv and movies, so...

My #2 selection was shipped today with arrival TBD, but many of my titles that I put in my queue on saturday have disappeared and are no longer there. Did this happen to anyone else?

My #2 DVD shipped today for a Thursday arrival. Hopefully it will come Wednesday. I added 15 to my queue and 3 have short waits, all the rest are in stock, for now.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

My #1 DVD shipped today, and I don't even have Movie Pass any longer!

We have shipped Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen [Special Edition] [Blu-ray] to you. You should receive it on or around Wednesday, October 5, 2011.That was #1, I need it as a reference disc for my new Denon which should arrive tomorrow, it is supposed to have a very good sound track.
Dan

Blockbuster Movie Pass: I think I'm in heaven

I decided to start filling my queue after signing up yesterday. To my delight, there was page after page of B Sci-Fi movies. This is going to keep me busy for a LONG time. :D

Signed up on Sunday. Disk shipped on Monday for delivery on Thursday. Four days is what Netflix took to deliver disks from NJ to the Virgin Islands. Don't remember if movie shipped was one or two in my que.

Will see how BB works compared to Netflix for turn around. Netflix was a solid four days for mail time in either direction and they always shipped a new disk the day the received the returned disk. Often processed returns and shipped on Saturdays.

Will have to decide if BB or Netflix is the best value. Depends on if the 20 channels in the platinum package are worth $2.00 a month to me. Streaming from BB is not an option in the VI nor are in store exchanges.

I joined Dish in June and had the three months of BB free dvd mailed and had no problem with what they pulled out of my queue. Oooopes, got nailed for one month of pay for it, but that was OK. Then the "pass" appeared and I received notice my number 1 was mailed today. I would think that if all you have in your queue is the newest releases, you are going to have to wait at some times. A few "old" but good movies in there and you should have a good flow of dvd's to and from your "home theater."

RT.

Everything must go was in #1 for me, had short wait, and shipped yesterday AM. Ive been with BB online for a few weeks, and they always claim Thu for a Monday ship. I always get it on Wed. If you watch movies when you get em, Nflix is still the best deal with same day shipping and Saturday work. I watch 2 on the weekend, ship em on Monday, and have two back for the next weekend. So BB works fine for me. Now that I get the 20 channels, its an even better deal and I have no reason to use Netflix, but I also dont care about streaming.

Is BB slower than Netflix? Yes. But, that still works depending on your situation. I also have seen that more often than not BB would ship my #1 even if it showed long wait, where Netflix would many times sit there idle a day or two with the movies showing a wait. Overall, and Ive used them both quite a lot in the last 10 years, Netflix is generally better, but in my situation either work.

Everything must go was in #1 for me, had short wait, and shipped yesterday AM. Ive been with BB online for a few weeks, and they always claim Thu for a Monday ship. I always get it on Wed. If you watch movies when you get em, Nflix is still the best deal with same day shipping and Saturday work. I watch 2 on the weekend, ship em on Monday, and have two back for the next weekend. So BB works fine for me. Now that I get the 20 channels, its an even better deal and I have no reason to use Netflix, but I also dont care about streaming.

Is BB slower than Netflix? Yes. But, that still works depending on your situation. I also have seen that more often than not BB would ship my #1 even if it showed long wait, where Netflix would many times sit there idle a day or two with the movies showing a wait. Overall, and Ive used them both quite a lot in the last 10 years, Netflix is generally better, but in my situation either work.

I've also used both Netflix and Blockbuster and agree 100% with this. Netflix is like clockwork, but I live in a city where there is a distribution center. Blockbuster is more random, as sometimes I get discs in the same time frame as Netflix, although more often than not it is one day longer. However, a few times it's been a couple days longer than Netflix. Since I mainly watch movies on the weekends and have a local store, BB is a better deal for me. With Netflix, I can watch one movie for each disc out per week if I only watch on the weekends. However, with BB, I can take each disc to the local store, watch a second movie per disc out on my plan, and have another set of moves the next weekend. Basically for my viewing habits, the BB plan gives me twice the bang for the buck.

As mentioned, if you watch and return discs as soon as you get them, Netflix may be a better option (unless there is a local store nearby in which case the in-store exchange would offset any slower shipping you may experience).

On other thing that should be mentioned is the wait Netflix has. I can get certain new releases weeks before they are even available to Netflix customers :). I was able to get Xmen First Class AND Thor the week they were released.

got the email on monday saying my #1 movie will arrive on wednesday...it has short wait to...for free I cant really complain at all...now I need to decide if I want the 922 for free now as I have qualified as an "A" customer whatever that is haha

Email said Thursday arrival. We'll see. If it is coming from Lansing, I'd figure Weds would be better. Amazon.com always over predicts how long it'll take.
got the email on monday saying my #1 movie will arrive on wednesday...it has short wait to...for free I cant really complain at all...now I need to decide if I want the 922 for free now as I have qualified as an "A" customer whatever that is haha
Based on what people have said, you probably could just slam your toe into a table leg and not "upgrade" to a 922 and still get the pain/frustration with no extra cost.

My first BluRay shipped 10/3 with an expected delivery date of 10/5. For me it's a no brainer. Was already paying the extra $10 a month for Platinum. Haven't tried any streaming yet. Will be interesting to see how long it takes for BlockBuster to get my returns and ship another one out.

Thanks everyone for your responses. I do enjoy watching lots of movies and have the time now to do it. But in the long haul there are more options than I can afford. So selecting the right choice is important.

I get good quality on the streaming and ultimately this is my best bang for the buck but mail DVD and BD can be good especially as we often get to see the extra features that I like to watch. Streaming sacrifices that option.

KAB- you are right, I've been at this for quite awhile and even had BB mail when it first started years ago and dropped it because it never improved beyond what I'm seeing today, long waits and lack of inventory to meet demand. However, today there are other advantages such as the streaming and game pass included. Even still your post came across as intending an insult or at best lacking the understanding of why having a performance thread may help us determine if BBMP is better today. Delivery efficiency has always been the Achilles heel for mail order delivery. My main purpose for this thread is to see whether BBMP is just slow here or what I get here is average throughout the country. Years ago when I tried Netflix it performed about the same as BB then and now. However, my turn on Netflix is twice in about 8 days now. The good thing is even on new releases I don't get wait times. They seem to have adequate inventory for fast delivery. ( YMMV) The in store new releases are much fewer today than when BB had it before financial trouble. Therefore my Netflix often has many new BD titles that never come to BB store. A few titles a month are indeed sooner at BB store due to 28 day sooner program but this only represents a few titles.

The big problem with in store Movie Pass is that it is considerably more expensive per month and is store specific. At today's prices, the in store BB MP is good if you watch more than 10 movies a month. So contracts like these are only for those who have the time and enjoy Movies.

Title #1 = long wait
Title #2 = short wait
Title #3 = shipped Monday estimated arrival 10/05

Will see how well they do for the next few weeks. My Netflix renews on the 19th and I plan on dropping their disc service and keep streaming.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)