Blockbuster Movie Pass performance thread

Thats rare. Scratched and broken movies really decreased when I started using Blu, vs DVD (been online renting since 2000).

I used Netflix for about 3 or 4 years and then Blockbuster by mail for about 7 months. I haven't been renting online as long as you but I have never received a damaged disk. For the last couple years I have rented mostly bluray disks so that might be why I have never got a damaged disk.

I only get a DVD if the bluray isn't available. This happens sometimes with older movies, foreign movies, indie movies, or the low budget horror movies I love to watch but I would say I get at least 3 bluray disks for every DVD.

Same here. And I think the packaging is quite a bit better than the Netflix packaging. The disk is centered, and there seems to be more paper to do a little more protecting.

I also got my disc a day ahead of schedule (ordered Saturday, arrived Wednesday instead of Thursday). I'm not impressed, however: the zip code on their return address is right next to mine -- the distribution center is within three miles of my house! You'd think they could have managed Tuesday at least

My first blu -ray is set for Thursday. I signed up for it Saturday. So they shipped it Monday and there is a 4 day wait? This is why I prefer streaming over hard disks being shipped to me.

I also occasionally rent XBOX 360 games through Blockbuster by mail. They never have the new releases available but it saves me a lot of money getting games that are a few months old instead of buying them. I wouldn't do it for online games that I want to play right away or keep forever like Gears of War 3. It is great for games that I am mostly interested in for single player because then I don't feel like I'm missing anything by playing it a few months late. I just play it until I beat it and then return it. $5 a month for an extra disk reserved for video games sure beats paying $60 for every game I want to play. Games like Bioshock 2, Red Dead Redemption, and Batman Arkam Asylum are all examples of games I have kept for a couple weeks while I beat it and then returned. Fable III is also a game made for single player that doesn't really lose anything by being played a few months late. Its not my kind of game but I think it works well with the Blockbuster rental system.

However, unless something has changed in the last few months you can't exchange movies for games in the stores. I have tried and was told they do this because they are only contracted to include many games in their by mail service after they have been out for a certain period of time. They get even the newest games available to rent in the store the day they come out. I was told they don't allow exchanges for games in the stores because it would be complicated to keep track of which games they were allowed to exchange and which games they aren't. They have contracts similar to the movie studios and Netflix so people buy the big name games instead of renting them. The period where they can't rent them to by mail customers is longer than for movies though.

If things haven't changed in the last few months they will let you turn in a by mail rental for $1 off an in store rental of any video game. You have to pay follow the in store rental policies for these instead of the by mail policies. Meaning due dates and things like that that don't apply to movie exchanges.

I took DVD back to BB today. Had to open a BB account. Manager said I could not rent a game but I told him online said where the game was available so the cashier tried and it went through. The manager was not happy but I got my game.

Video games have quite a wait. Of the five in my queue, four have waits. They don't have many new releases, either. Not important to me, but a serious gamer wouldn't find BBMP satisfactory.
Order a DVD online and exchange for a game at your local BB.

I took DVD back to BB today. Had to open a BB account. Manager said I could not rent a game but I told him online said where the game was available so the cashier tried and it went through. The manager was not happy but I got my game.

Wonder about this too. I understand the BB store people get little training on this integration. They have so many changes in their program to keep up with. The one thing I was told locally was that the instore exchanges could not be for the new releases, only for the 99 cent DVD's I'll bet this is not true either and just something made up at the local level. I can understand having to open an account as they need to get you into their system to allow you to check out the DVD.

I expect to see my first DVD tomorrow. In the same time, I will be receiving my second first choice new release from Netflix.

Regarding games- I'm not much into games but I do have that option on my in store MP as well. When I did rent a game I either returnmed it the next day because I didn't care for the game or I kept it for a week and then went and bpought a used one because I did like it. Asking around, Games are usually rented for a much longer period of time because for a gamer, it holds interest for days, even weeks compared with a movie that lasts for one viewing, on rare occasions, 2 viewings. MP for games, therefore is more likely to be used just as a sampler, on way to purchase.

This is from the FAQ at Dish's Blockbuster movie pass site.

How do I exchange mail rentals in-store?

As a Blockbuster Movie Pass subscriber, you have the option to exchange your mail rentals for in-store movie rentals (including Blu-ray and new releases) or non-new release in-store game rentals at participating Blockbuster stores.
Use our 'Store Locator' feature to search for participating stores in your area. For participating stores, you'll see Yes in the column labeled In-Store Exchanges. Blockbuster Movie Pass plans include unlimited in-store exchanges per billing cycle. Simply take your DVDs and exchange them for a free movie rental or a non-new release $4.99 video game at participating stores.
Note: Franchise terms may vary. See your local Blockbuster store for more details.

This is from the FAQ at Dish's Blockbuster movie pass site.

How do I exchange mail rentals in-store?

As a Blockbuster Movie Pass subscriber, you have the option to exchange your mail rentals for in-store movie rentals (including Blu-ray and new releases) or non-new release in-store game rentals at participating Blockbuster stores.
Use our 'Store Locator' feature to search for participating stores in your area. For participating stores, you'll see Yes in the column labeled In-Store Exchanges. Blockbuster Movie Pass plans include unlimited in-store exchanges per billing cycle. Simply take your DVDs and exchange them for a free movie rental or a non-new release $4.99 video game at participating stores.
Note: Franchise terms may vary. See your local Blockbuster store for more details.

Wow, that is news to me. It is either something the switched sometime in the last few months or the people in my Blockbuster store lied to me. I was definitely told no in store exchanges for games but was told that when I do drop of a by mail movie in the store I could get $1 off a video game rental. Thanks for posting this because I definitely plan on taking advantage of it in the future.

Now I wonder if the games that aren't yet available to rent by mail are the same games that are considered new releases in the store. You might be able to get them earlier in the store.

Wonder about this too. I understand the BB store people get little training on this integration. They have so many changes in their program to keep up with. The one thing I was told locally was that the instore exchanges could not be for the new releases, only for the 99 cent DVD's I'll bet this is not true either and just something made up at the local level. I can understand having to open an account as they need to get you into their system to allow you to check out the DVD.

I also had to make an account in the store and have them link it with my online account. They were definitely wrong about the new releases though. I get all the new releases I rent on bluray through in store exchanges. I have found that you can get them much faster that way instead of waiting for them to be available by mail. They almost always go to long wait right away.

Wow, that is news to me. It is either something the switched sometime in the last few months or the people in my Blockbuster store lied to me. I was definitely told no in store exchanges for games but was told that when I do drop of a by mail movie in the store I could get $1 off a video game rental. Thanks for posting this because I definitely plan on taking advantage of it in the future.

Now I wonder if the games that aren't yet available to rent by mail are the same games that are considered new releases in the store. You might be able to get them earlier in the store.

At the three BB stores near mne you have to pay something like $5 or more to pick up a game in exchange for your online mailer. I only use the in store exchange for movies. I can pick a game up at RedBox for less.

Why are they shipping you hard disks? I only see options for DVD and Blu-Ray not hard disks.

I'm sorry, I meant that disks like DVDs or Blu-rays vs streaming . I prefer streaming and not having to wait for a dvd or blu ray in the mail.

At the three BB stores near mne you have to pay something like $5 or more to pick up a game in exchange for your online mailer. I only use the in store exchange for movies. I can pick a game up at RedBox for less.

Unless they are new game releases, the store would seem to be in violation of the agreement terms.

I’m netflix customer for over five years, paying unlimited Blu-ray in mail for $9.99 monthly.
Same as this NEW blockbuster, I just better stay with netflix.. Nothing is deferent worth to change. Same shirt, is just color changed .

Keeping with the intent of the thread- I can now announce I received my first BBMP mailed DVD- #5 on my list. IT was sent yesterday from Daytona Beach center so mail shipping was not the delay. It was a hold from the time I ordered until they shipped. Let's hope that improves. With Daytona Beach The turn time should be no different from Netflix ( except if BBMP is closed on Saturdays) I will watch immediately and then return it to the BB store near me for my second rental. I understand I will not get credit for this mailed disk until I return the store copy which should be tomorrow. I'm trying to gauge the fastest possible turn around on my part. I'm sure I won't be doing this fast all the time.

Just got back from BB store and had no trouble exchanging the mailed disk for a store copy of a new release. Just also received an email advising that when I return the store copy they will release the next available DVD in my cue. Unfortunately, out of 11 DVD's in my cue 8 of them are listed as unavailable and 2 are very long wait. I finally found an old 1974 movie that was OK so I'll bet that is what they will send. I'm going to have to spend some time trying to find titles that are available. My personal problem is I have already seen most of what they probably stock. Looking forward to viewing some old 1960's westerns however. :) At this rate I don't see an advantage of increasing my BB account to 3 out at a time and reducing the in store account to one at a time. That would have saved money but the mail order selection seems quite limited for me.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)