Blockbuster Online Major Price Increase Alert:

Unfortunately, because your email says "We will not automatically renew your subscription on your next billing date.", it avoids your previous legal statement "it only applies to services with automatic monthly payments". I doubt there is much you could do.

That's definately a different email than I have heard about before. Most of the emails are either 1) you've been grandfathered in at the same prices or 2) you're being switched to the 17.99 plan with a limit of 5 exchanges in the store.

You can read alot more at Hacking NetFlix. It's not a hack website, just a strange name.

-John

I did ask them and they did say that it still requires a 30 day written (paper mail) notice of any account change that would result in the chance of the customer unknowingly being liable for any amount above 20% of the cost of the current monthly subscription.

So if three movies aren't returned which results in a charge of say 45 bucks (15 bucks times 3 DVDs) because no 30 days notice was provided this would fall under the states consumer protection laws. The state of New Hampshire doesn't consider email to be a valid legal notice of change of service. Again if prices only increased say 2 bucks a month it wouldn't make a difference.

Now because they were going to cancel my subscription that has a chance of causing me 45+ bucks "if" I didn't get the notice for whatever reason that my current discs needed to be returned.

I very rarely ever call the BBB or my states AG but when I do its only because of a practice that is very unethical and/or bordering illegal. I'm sorry but again I would never have noticed this email if I don't check my spam folder quite often in case something important got in that shouldn't have.

Yes I said this email was in my spam folder that I bet many people may never check. No I didn't click on any of the links and I also only view email in text format so it wasn't a fake. Plus calling blockbuster also confirmed it wasn't a fake as well. I'm just clearing that part up just in case its asked.

Maybe you all got a different letter but I'm sure not grandfathered into my existing plan. Here are the details of my email.

Dear Mark,

We have introduced a new pricing structure for our lineup of subscription plans.

As a result, the price of your current monthly plan Unlimited DVDs up to 3 at a time with unlimited in-store exchanges each month for $17.99 will increase to $24.99†, effective August 17, 2007.

We will not automatically renew your subscription on your next billing date.

In an effort to continue meeting your movie rental needs, we would like to offer you the chance to select a new online plan or the opportunity to take advantage of a special limited-time in-store offer.

From now until September 17, 2007, you can rent any in-store movie for just $1.99*. It's easy – simply click on the Get Coupon link, print your card and take it into any participating BLOCKBUSTER® store each time you want to rent one of our thousands of feature films. And since this coupon comes with unlimited use during this offer period, you can redeem it as often as you'd like until 9/17/2007.

To redeem this offer, click below to print your coupon.

I also had a link to view other online plans which I'll list below.

Unlimited rentals plus unlimited in-store exchanges.

1 DVD at a time = 16.99/month plus tax.
2 DVDs at a time = 21.99/month plus tax.
3 DVDs at a time = 24.99/month plus tax.

The above prices are for the Blockbuster Total Access Premium plans.

The next prices are for the Blockbuster Total Access plan which includes unlimited rentals each month but a limit on the number of in-store exchanges each month.

1 DVD at a time with two in-store exchanges each month costs 9.99/month.

2 DVDs at a time with three in-store exchanges each month costs 14.99/month.

3 DVDs at a time with five in-store exchanges each month costs 17.99/month.

Unlimited Movies by mail only with no in-store exchanges are below.

1 DVD at a time = 8.99/month.
2 DVDs at a time = 13.99/month.
3 DVDs at a time = 16.99/month.

The Limited Mail option which allows a max of two rentals per month with one movie at a time is as follows.

The mail only plan costs 4.99/month while the in-store exchange option (max two in-store exchanges each month) will cost 7.99/month.

Those are the options I have and under my account before I cancelled it said I was in the Total Access Premium plan at 17.99/month. It also said that my plan would "not" renew unless I selected one of the options in the list above. It also said that once my plan didn't renew I would be charged for any movies I haven't sent back after 30 days as well.

I got the same e-mail and I have been with them for over a year, Why am I not grandfarthered in? I will be dropping them .

I received this email on July 26, 2007. The 3rd paragraph down states:

As a preferred customer, your plan will not change at this time. Please continue to enjoy your exclusive subscription plan, including no monthly limit on free* movie rentals or discounted game rentals when you exchange in-store, at today's price – far below the published rate available to new subscribers.

So I don't think you guys have to worry about the 30-day notice thing.

How long have you been with Blockbuster??

I just got the below e-mail yesterday. No change. I have been with them close to two years.

b_header_logo.jpg
spacer.gif
spacer.gif
spacer.gif
b_bbta_logo.gif

headline_1.gif

Dear Boris,

We want to let you know about some changes to our BLOCKBUSTER Total Access™ subscription plans. This information is provided for your reference only – your subscription plan will not be affected by these changes.

Beginning August 31, 2007, there will be a price increase on your current unlimited plan. We will also begin to offer plans which limit the number of in-store exchanges available each month.

As a preferred customer, your plan will not change at this time. Please continue to enjoy your exclusive subscription plan, including no monthly limit on free* movie rentals or discounted game rentals when you exchange in-store, at today's price – far below the published rate available to new subscribers.

At any point, you can log in and review your current subscription plan or see all available plans. Keep in mind that if you want to change your subscription plan at any point after August 31, 2007, your new plan will be subject to prices and terms available at that time.

Please don't hesitate to contact us if you have any questions or concerns.

Sincerely,
Your Friends at BLOCKBUSTER®

spacer.gif
spacer.gif
1_table_top.gif
1_table_left.gif
spacer.gif
spacer.gif
bullet.gif
No price increase! Continue at your current rate

bullet.gif
Unlimited online DVD rentals delivered to your mailbox

bullet.gif
No monthly limit on FREE* movie rentals or discounted game rentals when you exchange in-store

bullet.gif
E-coupons good for FREE in-store movie AND game rentals

bullet.gif
Rental exclusives – titles you won't find anywhere else
spacer.gif
1_table_right.gif
1_table_bottom.gif
spacer.gif
spacer.gif
spacer.gif

*In-store rentals are subject to regular rental terms and conditions including due dates and charges which may apply to product kept beyond the due date. A separate, complimentary, in-store membership is required. In-store rentals must be returned to the store where rented. See your local participating BLOCKBUSTER store for complete rental terms. FREE in-store rentals do not count toward BLOCKBUSTER Rewards® benefits. See e-coupon and blockbuster.com for more details.

BLOCKBUSTER reserves the right to change plan terms and prices at any time.

If you no longer wish to receive email from BLOCKBUSTER, click here to unsubscribe. Please DO NOT reply to this email to unsubscribe.

This email was sent to: haloguy811@yahoo.com

BLOCKBUSTER, 1201 Elm Street, ATT: Blockbuster Online Customer Loyalty, Dallas, TX, 75270.

BLOCKBUSTER name, design and related marks are trademarks of Blockbuster Inc. © 2007 Blockbuster Inc. All rights reserved.

Blockbuster has, apparently, decided that some customers are preferred and get the previous deal for an indefinite period. I like how they say "your plan will not change at this time." They aren't intending to let you keep that forever. The clock is ticking already.

I just recieved this email!

Dear Scott,

We hope you're enjoying BLOCKBUSTER Total Access™!

There are some changes to our subscription plan lineup that introduce a new pricing structure and new plans which limit the number of in-store exchanges.

As a result, your current plan will no be longer be available at the current price.

(1 Online DVD out at a time up to 2 per month plus 2 in-store exchanges each month for $5.99)

We'd like to extend you a new plan that includes 1 Online DVD out at a time up to 2 per month plus up to 2 free* in-store exchanges for $7.99.

In addition, exclusively for BLOCKBUSTER Total Access customers, we have introduced in-store movie rentals for $1.99* per movie should you need more than the in-store exchanges included in your plan.

Your new plan will go into effect on your regular monthly billing date following August 31, 2007. If we don't hear from you by August 31, 2007, we will automatically move you to the new BLOCKBUSTER Total Access plan referenced below as "Your New Plan".

Online DVD rentals delivered to your mailbox

Free* movie rentals and discounted game rentals when you exchange in-store†

Subscriber discount on new and used online DVD purchases

Rental exclusives – titles you won't find anywhere else

Here are some options
to choose from:
2 Online DVDs with 2 In-Store Exchanges 1 2 2 $7.99 Your New Plan

Unlimited Online DVDs with Unlimited In-Store Exchanges 1 Unlimited Unlimited $16.99

2 Online DVDs 1 2 NONE $4.99

See all available subscription plans

Don't forget! All of the plans above still carry the benefits of online DVDs delivered to your mailbox and exclusive subscriber discounts and titles you won't find anywhere else!

If you have questions or concerns, please don't hesitate to contact us. Remember, you can change your plan at any time through My Account.

Your Friends at BLOCKBUSTER®

once they pull my 2 free game rentals a month, i am gone... I always rent 2-3 games a month and with 2 free rentals, that pretty much gives me all my movies for free...

Blockbuster Online Price Increase

I'm giving this alert as I believe many of our fellow SatGuys members are subscribers to Blockbuster Online. I've received an email from Blockbuster and have just called my local store and customer service to verify if this email is true. Both calls have resulted in very bad news.

My email says that starting today (August 17, 2007) price increases will start for any new customer. Also when your current billing statement ends your next bill will be for the new higher price.

For customers who have the 3 DVDs out at a time unlimited plan with unlimited in-store exchanges for 17.99/month the "NEW" price will now be 21.99/month.

Yes you did notice that seven (7) bucks a month increase in the same service. It has been this price increase that has resulted in my cancellation with Blockbuster Online.

Actually the message I got from blockbuster online was that they are changing the 3 DVD at a time unlimited plan with Unlimited IN-STORE Exchange to now only allow 5 in-store exchanges per month, and the price remains the same price. If you opt for the 3 dvd at a time unlimited and still want unlimited in-store exchange you will pay $21.99 per month for it.

If you don't typically exchange your movies in-store, it doesn't really affect your account at all, but if you tend to rent a LOT of movies every month AND exchange them in-store everytime, it does cut into your movies a little bit. However, if you are a frequent renter and use the in-store exchange a LOT then $24.99 is still a BARGAIN. For a while I was spending anywhere from $30-70 per month IN-STORE, plus an online rental, so the savings of having free unlimited exchanges is HUGE!

You should really make sure you get ALL the details before harping on a company for increasing prices.

People need to quit comparing apples to oranges (Blockbuster online with in-store exchange, to Netflix online ONLY). :)

Oh, and let's not forget the FREE RENTAL coupons we get through Blockbuster....

Oh, this is the email I received:

We hope you're enjoying BLOCKBUSTER Total Access™!

There are some changes to our subscription plan lineup that introduce a new pricing structure and new plans which limit the number of in-store exchanges.

As a result, your current plan will no be longer be available at the current price.

(Unlimited DVDs up to 3 at a time with unlimited in-store exchanges each month for $17.99)

We'd like to extend you a new plan that includes Unlimited DVDs 3 at a time plus up to 5 free* in-store exchanges for $17.99. Looking at your recent activity, we notice you only average 3 in-store exchanges each month, so this new plan should give you all the in-store rentals you need.

In addition, on August 1, we will be introducing discounted in-store movie rentals for any additional movies you might need above the in-store exchanges included in your plan.

Your new plan will go into effect on your regular monthly billing date following August 30, 2007. If we don't hear from you by August 30, 2007, we will automatically move you to the new BLOCKBUSTER Total Access plan referenced below as "Your New Plan".

Here are some options
to choose from:
b_pricing_table_tabs.gif
spacer.gif
Unlimited Online DVDs with 5 In-Store Exchanges
spacer.gif
spacer.gif
Unlimited
spacer.gif
spacer.gif
$17.99
spacer.gif
Your New Plan
spacer.gif
Unlimited Online DVDs with Unlimited In-Store Exchanges
spacer.gif
spacer.gif
Unlimited
spacer.gif
Unlimited
spacer.gif
$21.99

I also want to say that I too had netflix (had both for a while), and I dropped Netflix because they never had newer movies available when I wanted them, and the delivery time was a bit longer than it is with Blockbuster (for me at least). I'm sure part of the speed of delivery and return is because I am only about 100 miles from their facility (I'm in Tucson, they're in Phoenix). I stick a movie in the mail Monday morning, and sometimes by Monday NIGHT I have a message that it has been received, but if not it is almost always Tuesday. Netflix wasn't slow by any means, but comparitively they were, since it would take 2-3 days to receive movies (sometimes I'd get ONE of my 3 at a time), and 2-3 days for them to receive them after I mailed them back.

The long waiting list for most of my movies was what bothered me the most at the time, but this doesn't seem to be as big of an issue these days.

I really like blockbuster online though, and the rate increase doesn't bother me at all, since it isn't affecting me other than I no longer have unlimited in-store exchanges and am now limited to only 5 of them per month (I don't use it all that much anyway, that's why I have ONLINE rental, so I don't HAVE to go to a store). LOL

I'm also using another provider, called Intelliflix, which also rents "mature" content depending on the plan you pick. The thing with them is, for the best deal you pay a year or more UP FRONT, and then you have unlimited rentals, but they have a much smaller selection of movies from what I've experienced so far, and their shipping is much more sporadic than anyone else. In fact, had I not already paid for a year, I'd probably cancel them. I do get 4 movies at a time, and I can pay per rent extras if I want more at a time, but sometimes I get only one of my movies one day, another the next, etc., which kind of sucks. I also sent 2 of my movies back over 2 weeks ago, and they still haven't shown up as "returned", so they aren't sending me all 4 movies at a time now, I am now stuck with only 2 at a time since they think I still have 2 out. I have emailed them to complain about it, and all I got was a "we'll look into it" message, and nothing since, other than emails saying "we see you have had these titles out for over 30 days...").

I would still recommend Blockbuster to anyone! Same for Netflix, but honestly I wouldn't recommend Intelliflix until their system improves (they have multiple facilities, so your movies come from all over, thus explaining the random incoming), but if you like to rent "mature content" and don't have a local store or don't like going to it, this might be the way to go. Plenty of titles available in that end of their rental program.

This is interesting. I still have the 17.99 unlimited in store exchanges/unlimited exchange thru mail 3 at a time plan. Why was i never charged an increased price which is at 34.99 now???

I have the same plan. Im at 19.99 (started out at 14.99), still a bargin in my eyes. 3 out at a time, store exchanges and one free movie or game cupon a month.