Blu Ray / Component Output?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Scott Greczkowski

Welcome HOME!
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Cutting Edge
Sep 7, 2003
Newington, CT
Does anyone know if the Blu Ray DVD players can ouput to an older HDTV with only component inputs?

Or is it down resed?

All my HDTV do not have HDMI and I would love to have a HD DVD player.

(And by that case same question for HD DVD)

Both HD DVD and Blu-ray Disc players should be able to do it until studios start putting the ICT flag on their discs.
They all agreed not to use the ICT flag for the first few years, so you should be ok until year 2010 or 2012. ;)

Component interface is always limited to 1080i and 720p, as far as I understand. So, this is not an issue.

jgantert said:
I thought the HD-DVD player also only did 480p for SD DVDs using Component.
That's correct. No upconversion over component.

The Samsung manual states that when you set the player to the component out the resolution is adjusted to 480p. It then goes on to say that when viewing a Blue ray disc 720p or 1080i is available.

Last edited:
There is a flag that the disc manufacture sets if they want down res. The ICT or image constrant token is the same on both formats. They should output 1080i on the component unless the disc maker put in the ICT then they are forced to down res to 480p.

If your HDTV has HDMI compliant DVI input, the HDMI on the HD DVD player works fine with a HDMI>DVI cable or adapter. From what I've read, HDMI>DVI on the Smasung BD player shoudl fine as well.

T2k said:
Why would be?
I might be wrong on that. I just haven't heard of any TV sets that could accept 1080p over component (YPbPr, not RGB).
In any case, it doesn't matter for Scott. I am sure that if his TV sets have component input only, they are limitted to 1080i. ;)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts