Blu-Ray player? Recommendations?

SD TV in its pure form should be the same as DVD. I didn't say anything about our great providers over compressing the signal.
You just answerd your own question.
Should look like , and What it really does look like is 2 different things.
Some DVD's are Progressive, That brings the PQ really close to HD Quality.
Most SD TV is 540 or 480x480 I would bet most DVDs have a higher resolution then that.

You just answerd your own question.
Should look like , and What it really does look like is 2 different things.
Some DVD's are Progressive, That brings the PQ really close to HD Quality.
Most SD TV is 540 or 480x480 I would bet most DVDs have a higher resolution then that.

I have seen some very good SD that looks just as good as DVD. That does not make it just as good as HD IMO. There is much more out there than the few providers that do the SD Lite for their broadcasts.

On my 56" , blue ray, no way that much better.
My 42 Philips, or my 52 inch sony No way that much better either, Unless its an animated movie. They look unreal. But the Average movie, I agree sometimes they just look upconverted.
No way would I ever buy a Blu Ray dish Unless if was about 50% off

I almost forgot the topic was myself since I just saw this thread and read the couple pages.

So...

What do you think about Samsung players? Sonys have always looked pretty good but are of course also the most expensive. To sort of reference the 'quality' posts, the cost of the players is important these days to justify the improvement in what you get. Also, I have read some reviews that seem to suggest that many players work slower than molases... with long startup and disc boot times etc. Are current players on the market (including lower-end) still that bad?

I almost forgot the topic was myself since I just saw this thread and read the couple pages.

So...

What do you think about Samsung players? Sonys have always looked pretty good but are of course also the most expensive. To sort of reference the 'quality' posts, the cost of the players is important these days to justify the improvement in what you get. Also, I have read some reviews that seem to suggest that many players work slower than molases... with long startup and disc boot times etc. Are current players on the market (including lower-end) still that bad?

Depends on the player. The newest Gen of Samsungs 1600/3600 are extremely fast (even faster than the BD35/55/60/80). BD's will always load slower than Standard DVDs, because there is so much more info that needs to be buffered, including Java, BD Live features, etc.

I have the Panasonic 35, 55, and Samsung 3600. I haven't had a problem with the Samsung except for with the Spirit. Many brands have had problems with this title including PS3, Panasonic, etc. Something with the BD-Live feature and an update it wants to load.

You really need to make a list of features that you want, and then compare the models against the feature set.

S~

And still ask. I don't know of any single source that neatly lists all current players with load times, features and other data. Best place to find out as much of this as possible: SatGuys.