Blu-ray reacts angrily to HD DVD (attach rate) claims

I decree that it will be the policy of this administration that the PS3 is indeed a Blu-Ray player. Conversely the hd-dvd add on will be counted as a hd-dvd player.

Seriously people devises are converging. What is next? Are the Tivo freaks going to bash the PS3 when it gets DVR functions? Are the iPod hounds going to bash the iPhone as not a true iPod because it can place a telephone call?

One flaw with your policy:

the HDDVD add on is purchased for ONE thing, playing HDDVD's and can be fairly counted. The PS3 is a media center and has numerous functions therefore you cannot fairly count them all for attach rate. You cannot also fairly exclude them all.

This is why attach rate is more FUD and total movie sales is all anyone should give a SHAT about.

What is next? Are the Tivo freaks going to bash the PS3 when it gets DVR functions?

Yes. I imagine anyone with a functioning DVR will bash the PS3 when this happens. I love my PS3, but I just can't see using it as a DVR, or imagine that it will do that great of a job with it - at least initially.

Are the iPod hounds going to bash the iPhone as not a true iPod because it can place a telephone call?

No. Generally speaking, people who love Apple LOVE Apple. It's a borderline religion.

This is why attach rate is more FUD and total movie sales is all anyone should give a SHAT about.

Partially true. They are hoping the attach rate holds as they flood the market with players. If it does, then attach rate does make a difference because it translates to more sales which ultimately is all that matters, as you say.

The problem is that the attach rate is not going to hold with all of these cheap players, IMO. Still, getting more players out there can't hurt, but it's not fair to say that you can just multiply all the new players by the previous attach rate and get an idea of how much software sales are going to go up.

I disagree. What should be reported is Dollars from movie sales. You can't fake that.

How would that work for a company like Warner? Even on their own site, 300 is cheaper on Blu-Ray (probably because the HD-DVD is a combo) - you don't think they'd care which one sold more copies if the HD-DVD version made more dollars overall?

You would think the pricing strategies are similar (although I don't know this for a fact), which would mean that they would make the same profit on either format, so the overall sales dollars wouldn't matter as much to them as total units would.

I know you're going after BOGO being included, and I understand why you say that, but there are problems with just about any kind of numbers you can come up with....

How would that work for a company like Warner? Even on their own site, 300 is cheaper on Blu-Ray (probably because the HD-DVD is a combo) - you don't think they'd care which one sold more copies if the HD-DVD version made more dollars overall?

You would think the pricing strategies are similar (although I don't know this for a fact), which would mean that they would make the same profit on either format, so the overall sales dollars wouldn't matter as much to them as total units would.

I know you're going after BOGO being included, and I understand why you say that, but there are problems with just about any kind of numbers you can come up with....
If you charge 1/2 price for your movies that only thing total movies sold tells you is how much money you are losing. I would love to see sales numbers accompainied by dollars next it. It would really tell the whole story. IF BD sells twice the movies as HD DVD but only marginally collects more dollars that negates the sales advantage IMO.

If you charge 1/2 price for your movies that only thing total movies sold tells you is how much money you are losing. I would love to see sales numbers accompainied by dollars next it. It would really tell the whole story. IF BD sells twice the movies as HD DVD but only marginally collects more dollars that negates the sales advantage IMO.

I understand what you're saying... I just wonder how much of this is actually going to sway one of these companies to go one way or another. It seems like they (Warner) would be more concerned with how many units of their own movies they sell on one format or the other than with how many units someone else moves - 1/2 price or not.

I guess it all depends on what you're using the numbers for, and like I said before - no matter how you massage the numbers, someone's going to have something to say about it, so I'm not sure total dollars is any better indicator than total units - they can both be used to prove different points, depending on your leaning.

By the way, does anyone know how much money the studios are making on their movies, even at full price? Not trying to be facetious - I really don't know.

I don't think either format is anywhere close to being the profit machine that DVD is right now.

Vurbano, do you have any real numbers to back up that the studios are losing money specifically from selling BDs at half price?

One thing for sure, I am saving alot of money on titles that I want!

Vurbano, do you have any real numbers to back up that the studios are losing money specifically from selling BDs at half price?

One thing for sure, I am saving alot of money on titles that I want!

It doesn't really need facts. If you think they are selling BD discs at $30 and making a $15+ profit on each then there's a bigger problem there, with your line of thinking and with their pricing bending us all over. It's clear they'd LIKE to do this ($44+ MSRP on Spider-Man 3??).

Building an emotional connection in the form of the number of titles owned is key to keeping you coming back to the well when the option is BD vs HD for the same title. It's a ploy to get PS3 customers to start buying movies as well. I don't think BOGO is moving players, as the entry price is still too high. Certainly don't think it's a profitable move, but instead a promotional/marketing write-off.

It doesn't really need facts. If you think they are selling BD discs at $30 and making a $15+ profit on each then there's a bigger problem there, with your line of thinking and with their pricing bending us all over. It's clear they'd LIKE to do this ($44+ MSRP on Spider-Man 3??).

Building an emotional connection in the form of the number of titles owned is key to keeping you coming back to the well when the option is BD vs HD for the same title. It's a ploy to get PS3 customers to start buying movies as well. I don't think BOGO is moving players, as the entry price is still too high. Certainly don't think it's a profitable move, but instead a promotional/marketing write-off.

But you do realize they get bulk deals when they buy the BD-Disks and then put the movie on it and then sell it right?
Thats how BD makes their money.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)